Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 19:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Boyfriends

Do any of you have b/fs or g/fs or husbands and wives? I feel like im aconstant disapointemt to my b/f lately cuz of always being sick. he says he doesnt care that im sick but im contstantly worried about what ists doign to him. right now even i cant stop crying ciz its tearing us apart. he says i act diff when im sick and that im always complainign and worrying. but im scared of whats its doing to us. i cant have sex anymore cuz it hurts so badly which makes me feel so inadequate..my sister is getting married w/ her year now b/f and me and my b/f who ibe been with for eover three years are still where we are and part of me thinks it scuz im sick. I just really need some adcice...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 21:11

Plan: Anti-yeast
Stats: 138/128/125 Female 5"7
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hello
I know how you feel. I had a boyfriend for a year during which i had yeast infections about twice a month....... it was SO FRUSTRATING. that was before i figured out that the problem was candida in my digestive system.... I'm not with him anymore, so i don't have to worry about it.
The boyfriend i have now doesn't KNOW whats wrong with me, because i won't say. I should mention that my only symptoms of candida are recurrent yeast infections.....
I don't know if this will work for you, but what i do, is right after i have sex i run to the freezer and take out a little yogurt ice cube and put it inside me, thats to prevent another yaest infection. it seems to be working!! The yogurt i use is homemade, and fermented for 24 hours so its got lots of acidophilus in it. I'm staying on the diet and taking supplements too, but i've been doing it for ages without completely recovering....
anyway, i hope maybe that will help your sex life a bit..... but u should defintely make your boyfriend use some monistat cream or something. It will be way easier to cure him of it to start with, because he doesn't have it the way you do....
hope this helps you! I'm sure you'll start to get better soon... sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to be doing
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 21:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 134/132/100 Female 5'0''
BF:Yes
Progress: 6%

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge, but what is candida?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 06:37

Plan: raw vegan diet
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default What is candida

Hi Joy,
Candida is a form of fungus. It naturally grows in the mouth and intestines but after antibiotics, steroids, birth control pills, it overgrows in the gut, vaginal areas, prostates, etc. It eventually erodes/irritates the gastric lining of the stomach and then in times of "gastritis" (irritated stomach) these little buggers can travel in the blood stream to various parts of the body. Mine have traveled at least to the brain, thyroid, ovaries and I suspect my adrenal glands. Only Go knows where else it has gone.

When it "resides" in the vaginal/prostate areas it becomes an STD that passes from one person to another. It is more like a parasite than anything else and has a very strange ability to develop resistance to any treatment.

They say 80% of people have it. If you have been on antibiotics more than once, you probably have a "little overgrowth". If you keep eating a "SAD" diet (standard american diet) it will cont. to grow and when you get to be an old lady like me (49) You can have multiple health problems that are chronic, not life threatening but life-limiting.

Despite my Candida giving me brain fog, hormone problems, (mulitple miscarriages as a result of auto-immune and hormone related problems) and lots lots of yeast infections (each one worse than the one before), I have "energy again", and lots of opportunities to support and help others. It's not "the end of the world" it is simply an opportunity to "re-evaluate" lifestyles that "cause" and "increase" my suseptibility to it. I made a lot of "lifestyle" decisions that started me on the road to candida and now I suffer the consequences of those poor choices. Yet, there is a slow gradual healing taking place, which I am very thankful for experiencing.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 14:46

Plan: Mix
Stats: 135/135/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Hi!
This is probably a dumb question since I am on the low-carb forum but this is my first time visiting the site and I have lots of questions!! Is candida something that is hereditary or is it something caused from eating a bad diet and lots of sugar? About a year ago, I decided to go low carb and I did lose weight but when i moved home from college and got a full time job, it was just too hard to keep up with. Since then I really try to eat healthy but I am very guilty of eating too much sugar! Definitely an addition. I've also started having alot of problems with recurrent yeast infections (and UTI's but i've had them for a long long time). I never thought that the recurrent yeast infections could have something to do with my diet but it would make sense. I'm trying to get back on the low carb diet to lose some weight for my wedding, will that help with the infections too?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 09:46

BF:
Default Is Candida hereditary

Hi, no, candida is not hereditary but if you are in a family line with diabetes, diabetics and pre-diabetics can be more prone to this disease.

Candida is a fungus that is in everyone's digestive system. When we take antibiotics or steroids this fungus overgrows. Sugar, refined flours, gluten, pork and other fermenting undigested foods in our bowels feed this candida and anywhere there is a "little" like our sex organs, mouth, etc. they will multiply after antibiotic use as will the candida in our "gut".

For bladder infections I've had to turn to herbs which don't destroy the normal bacteria that keep candida at bay. Juniper berries, plantain (actually this is my herb of choice becuase it kills candida and most things in the bladder and is found in most any lawn or park (be sure it isn't sprayed with a pesticide. It grows all over the world too!

You can also use the silk you find on an ear of corn, dandelion greens. All kill most things in the bladder without getting candida to grow.

Women who get vaginal infections (like me) think this is the only place where the candida is overgrowing but in the intestines it is really getting a stranglehold, lining the bowels with a slippery mass that tends to coat them so we can't absorb our vitamins and minerals, then irritates the stomach and through the inflammed lining of the stomach can send it's toxins throughout the bloodstream to any and every organ of the body.

I have toxins in my brain, joints, thyroid and female organs for sure (not so sure but think it is also in my adrenal glands as well).

Hope that helps you understand. The sooner people take it serious, the less serious the side effects. (I wish I had). I thought I got rid of it for about 6 years and since I never returned to antibioitic use I thought I could return to my "sweets" and it came back with a vengeance after indulging my tastebuds for about 6 years.

Now my diet is so limited just in order to function and keep things from spreading but the good news is, my allergies are almost gone (as long as I drink 2-4 cups fresh carrot juice each day) and my adrenal glands started working normally (again only if I stay on the carrot juice).

The candida is slowly decreasing and I can take an occasional "bite of something delicious" without side effects. I must be satisfied with "little bites" however. More than that and the candida is right back!

Hope this helps.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

I keep hearing about carrot juice....what does it do? and do you juice it yourslef foes it taste good...and arent carrots full of sugar? sorry that was really blunt and to the point..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 06:36

BF:
Default What does carrot juice do?

Hi, yes carrots are full of sugar which make the juice very pleasant, esp. if you add 1 apple. It tastes absolutely horrible if you buy it bottled.

I don't seem to be bothered by the kind of sugar in carrots, it is fructose and is more slowly released in my system than the other simple sugars.

The juice is loaded with betacarotene (a soluble form of vit. A) I was told to do this 10 years ago and if I had listened, I wonder how many health problems I could have avoided, oh well.

Since going on carrot juice (2-4 c. a day not drinking more than 8 oz. in 1 hr.) it's like giving myself a shot in my immune system. So far my adrenal glands returned to normal (I had to supplement cortisol because I quit producing the amt. I needed cause of candida sludge in the colon), most of my allergies are gone (until I quit drinking it for more than a few days). I lost all body odor (unless I re-introduce meat in my diet- then I have body odor for a few days and it's gone again).

It takes about 3-4 lbs. of carrots to juice enough for 3-4 cups of juice. I sometimes add 2 apples. (You don't want to usually mix fruits with veggie juices but apples are one exception and for those who don't like the sweet but carroty tasting juice by itself, it is like drinking V8 splash only MUCH healthier and no sugar or artificial sweeteners.

I also do lots of greens, dehydrate/powder veggies/green herbs in my blender and take in water/juice several times a day to get loads of nutrition quickly into my body each day.

In this way I am nourishing my body so well, it can fight the candida on its own. It seems to be helping even when I forget or get lazy about doing the greens. (The greens really make your system alkaline).

People who do this juice/green stuff along with a mostly raw vegan diet have shrunk huge tumors, killed bacterial/fungal infections that are resistant to treatment and eventually will improve eye sight, diabetes and keep auto-immune disorders like MS and Rhuematoid ARthritis from worsening. At least that is what the testimonials tell me. I read conflicting stories on juices so went off of them for a week and I got really sick, allergies were horrible, adrenals stopped working. After a week I returned to juicing and it took 2 days of carrot juice and I had my energy and sound sleep back but after a week of carrots juice my allergies are improved but not as good as they were before I went off the carrot juice. So now I am absolutely convinced that juicing is the way for me to go.

If you don't have a juicer you can put carrots and water and apples in a blender and puree them and drink it that way or strain it through a cheesecloth or muslin dishtowel. Either way it doesn't taste as good as the stuff in the juicer, but it isn't bad.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by TNTLeAnn : Mon, Aug-29-05 at 06:41.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 10:22

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Wow, this was very informative! Thank you! Things that I never thought about, have all just been answered!

Thanks again!