Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 06:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default The Science of Egg Yolks

...and How to Make Them Taste Like Parmesan Cheese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4PDa6PpLQ

I knew most of that stuff about egg yolks containing lecithin and acting as an emulsifier, but WHAT - how have I never heard of salt-cured egg yolks before?!

I did notice years ago, while following a more strict 80/15/5 plan, that scrambled egg yolks (no whites) tasted very rich and almost cheesey, and that if I ever had to give up dairy, I'd be using them as a cheese replacement.

Well, now I can give that a try. Here's a video from Ketoconnect.com on how they do it. I saw other recipes, but they all contained sugar.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, May-11-20 at 06:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 10:26

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Choline baby.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 11:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Haha, how timely is this! I was just reading a recipe yesterday for a keto sourdough-like bread:
https://www.sidechef.com/recipes/29...ourdough_bread/

I thought it sounded like something worth trying, except that it uses 6 egg whites and I found myself thinking, "darn, now what would I do with 6 egg yolks?"

And this sounds perfect to try! Though hope I have enough salt, that may be a problem.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 13:22
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hehe, that's my problem too, Debbie. I don't want to waste my expensive little container of HalfSalt (half Na, half K). I need a big container of the cheap stuff since most of it is going to waste.

There's a Diet Doctor tortilla recipe that I like which uses mostly whites, like the one you linked above. They say you can use all whites. Good time to try that.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 09:33

BF:

I found I do still have a pretty big container of the cheap salt which I think I bought to make play dough with the grandkids. Good idea! Maybe I can use that and just mix in a few tablespoons of the good pink salt and sea salt.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-12-20, 11:29

BF:

Ok, I'm giving it a try! I have the sourdough style bread in the over right now. I took a small flat-bottomed casserole dish and layered the cheap salt on the bottom. Then I made six indentations in it with the back of a spoon. I sprinkled the good salt (mixture of pink Himalayan salt and Celtic sea salt) into the indentations. Placed the six egg yolks into the indentations and then sprinkled the yolks again with a mixture of the good salt, and then added the cheap salt on top again to cover them completely. Next step comes in 48 hours. But the bread should be ready in 30 more minutes so I'll have some instant gratification with that one. LOL.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-14-20, 16:56

BF:

Next step! Yolks spent their 48 hours in the salt, now in a very low oven for two hours.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 13:42
Forum Moderator

BF:

I thought of this thread last night: "I bet Debbie's egg yolks are done."

I started mine this morning, and of course, the very first one broke. You'd think I never separated an egg before. Sheesh.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 11:34

BF:

I had a garden salad with salmon the other night - low on supplies so just the last of a head of iceberg lettuce, with a couple finely chopped baby carrots, a sprinkling of chopped pecan, some shredded cheese, some olive oil-hummus dressing, and one of my egg yolks! Ick, it was unbearably salty, I hated it. The yolks all had a fair amount of salt on them ever after removing them from the last. I'll have to knock off a lot more of the salt if I can before I try another one!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-23-20, 12:03
Forum Moderator

BF:

Same here, Debbie! I was so disappointed. I even tried to salvage them by rinsing them with water. Nope, still too salty and no nice eggy/parmesan-ish flavour whatsoever.

Maybe that's why the other recipes I saw called for half salt and half sugar. Not going there, for obvious reasons.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-23-20, 18:54

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I knew most of that stuff about egg yolks containing lecithin and acting as an emulsifier, but WHAT - how have I never heard of salt-cured egg yolks before?!

I did notice years ago, while following a more strict 80/15/5 plan, that scrambled egg yolks (no whites) tasted very rich and almost cheesey, and that if I ever had to give up dairy, I'd be using them as a cheese replacement.
Not only have I never heard of anything like this, but I am amazed to learn this. I have a feeling I am going to learn so much on this forum.