Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 21:40

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%

Hi Tiker,
11:25 p.m. here and I 've had enough coffee at work to keep me up the next 48 hours Sorry to see the board is
slow, I need some night owls tonight
Before I met my NDH, I was involved with a "younger man"
fun but not mature enough to think of past a good time (and he was in his 30's)
I can honsetly say my memory was extremely sharp at one time, thats what makes it so frustrating Once in a while I'll flash back into that capability and its wonderful.
I love the "CRS" Think that will be my new term if you don't mind my stealing
Hope you got your rest
greentea
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 22:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Hi greentea...

Sorry to hear you're loaded...on caffeine that is. There was a time in my life when I could drink it all day and night with no effects, but now if I have more than one or two cups of coffee before noon I'm climbing the walls all day and that night too.

Go ahead and use the CRS. I stole it from someone else, so if you steal it from me I guess that mean's instant karma's gotten me, eh?

Anyway, just got back from working out. I'm exhausted. My workout was late since I had to take my car in for repairs and didn't get home till late.

Hope you get some sleep, gt!

NOTE TO MINNIE PAUZ: I love living alone too. I've been alone for about 9 years now. I've had relationships where guys have wanted to move in with me, or me with them, but I always tell them, "You can move down the street, or next door, it doesn't matter. But I want to retain the right of showing you the door when I'm done with you or had enough, and so you will not inhabit my space. My privacy is far too important to me." And, that's how it is. I have fun with them, and then they leave me to my privacy.

AJ

Last edited by Tikerberi : Wed, Sep-18-02 at 10:01.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 22:40

Hey Tik,
Glad to have some night...er... early a.m. company
(I know I'm going to pay for this later in the day )
Good idea to have the cell phone with ya even if it is in your
own building. Did you notice I live in Ohio too
Lot of bad things happening here lately
I usually drink very weak coffee but I drank the stuff at work and
my oh my I'm flying
Even if I went to bed I know I wouldn't sleep
My Dh is 45. First time I've ever been with someone so close to my own age. He is to die for and I am addicted so I'm a happy camper. (Don't know where that phrase came from, I hate camping...lol)
Sounds like you have your "Hands" full and are having fun
I hate being alone. I do like having some private down time but
only for about an hour then I'm looking for interaction.
Well, I'm chatting with a sleeping person so I'll say goodnight
grentea
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 05:34
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Menopause

Ladies, I am with you on this thread!

My DH is so understanding and really feels bad for me. He doesn't even complain that I freeze him out of the house (oops here come a flash now). My house is a virtual wind tunnel.
I can hardly move without sweating profusely, my hair drips sweat all the time.

I have been almost symptom free since taking a lot of herbal natural alternatives. After re-evaluating my daily supplement routine I realized that I had been missing one of them for almost a month! I started back on it about 1 week ago and only hope that I can make it until it starts to work again. Dummy me!!

Honestly up to this point I had virtually no symptoms at all, and I refused to do HRT. I had noticed a decline in libido before I started LCing and exercising on a regular basis. Now libido is back in full swing (yippee!!).

I have not experience the memory thing, the thought of that is really scarey. A good full nights sleep would be a blessing.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 07:06

Morning HerbNurse,
Glad you came by.
What kind of herbs are you doing and how have they helped
LOL, I can relate....We're finally getting down to the 40's
overnight and I'm in my birthday suit opening all the windows while Dh is wrapped up like a corndog closing them all
Glad to hear your libido is back....I think we lose enough during this time of life.....That's one thing I'll fight to hold on too
Now if I can just remember how.........
greentea
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 07:52
Lover of Life

BF:

GreenTea

I have been taking for menopausal symptoms (since 1998) vit. E, gingko biloba, soy isoflavones, black cohosh, wild yam and also use progesterone cream.

I worked in a pharmacy and my boss recommended the progesterone cream after I had come back after a 2 month medical leave (hysterectomy) and he now how employed for him GODZILLA!!

It has helped tremendously! My current doctor wanted to prescribe an estrogen last year and I flatly refused. He said from the blood test that I was going thru menopause (DUH!!) He wanted me on it mainly due to the osteoporosis and heart disease in my family.

He has since changed his mind on that after my bone density scan found that I have no bone loss at 50. That I believe is attributed to exercise, 1800-2400 mg. of calcium daily, wild yam and progesterone cream. The herbal alternatives mentioned can help with bone mass. (not an FDA claim however)

In working at a pharmacy/wellness center for 6 years I went to seminar after seminar on herbal supplements. I have decided that I would try the natural approach for menopausal symptoms.

My doctor saw me in July of this year has decided to go ahead and let me take care of my symptoms my way. He was very impressed with my state of health. (yeah me!) Cholesterol was down significantly, blood pressure was lower and resting heart rate was way down. He about fell out of his chair because it is now down to 60 instead of 95 a year ago.

Now when the hot flashes stop I will be a new woman. My DH tells me that he is always bragging how his wife is going thru menopause and he really doesn't notice it. He told his co-workers that except for the fact his hair has blown off from the wind tunnel effect in his house everything is beautiful at home.

If you have been considering using natural alternatives I would research them and try it. Give it about 4-6 weeks to get into your system completely but you won't regret it.

Also, if you are taking any prescribed medications you need to consult with your doctor or pharmacist to see if there are any adverse effects combining the two.

Ladies, we have to take charge of our own bodies.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 10:03

HN,
Thank you for all the information... I will do some research
And talk to doc. She does have me on a med.
Think I did ask her about the black cohosh once. Said she has heard what its supposed to do and that its an individual thing if it helps or not.
I have a lack of confidence in her, she didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for blood work to find my "levels" as
far as Mennepause. She's very young, took over for my doc who moved out of state......I want my middle aged, female Dr. Back
bblondie will be interested in chatting with you about the cream. She's been asking for info on it. I could only find a web-site to pass on
My doc hasn't even suggested HRT. I do take Vit E everyday (if I remember) Have been taking that for years because it takes away the sore, tenderness, can't wear a bra joy that PMS always
started with. Since LC-ing I haven't had that problem.
LOL, can't say my DH hardly notices any changes but he never complains. I've always thought it was because he's so understanding...but maybe I just scare him
greentea
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 07:42
Lover of Life

BF:

GT

I know what you mean about confidence in doctors. My female gynecologist told me to take whatever made me feel better. I have never been on any medications so there was no problem with counteractions.

My new primary care physician is nice but a male and doesn't know that much about natural alternatives. Now that I have flatly refused all HRT he doesn't press the issue due to my last exam results.

I would be glad to talk to anyone about supplements or progesterone creams. I do have an internet webstore that sells such alternatives but I do not solicit my goods. I use to have my web address included in my profile but I have since taken that off.

Last night I slept much better, of course I had the table fan about 2 feet from me on high, but hey it worked.

I believe that the supplements are beginning to get into my system now. I guarantee you one thing I will never run out again. It has been hell for me!!

Your DH sounds pretty understandting too, as long as they are educated on what we females are going thru it sure makes it a lot easier for everyone concerned.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 13:13

Hi HN,
After I talk to my doc I'll tell you what she says or recommends
and hopefully get your input
Next week it's supposed to drop to more normal temps,
which for this time of year are the 60's. When DH heard that,
first thing he says is Time to get the extra heaters out......that alone broke me out into a sweat
Going to be a battle of the body temps coming up...lol
greentea
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 14:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

HN
It's really nice to see that you have educated yourself enough to have health care options. The traditional medical proffession is too quick to cut or prescribe. I've had bad experiences, and my sister who is borderline Lupis and has many allergies are pretty turned off by doctors who are not informed, only look at the ailment in isolation, or who poooh poooh viable alternatives.

Good for you for having options at your disposal.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 05:29
Lover of Life

BF:

GT

I know what you mean, my DH said almost the same thing. He told me to be sure and open the windows and turn on the furnace to make sure it's okay.

Open the windows!! Let my cool air out!!! Geez!

He wants the big comforter on the bed soon, I told him that's fine but my two fans are going on high and I will sleep on top with a thin sheet.

Yes, please share the information that you obtain from your doctor, the more we all know about this the better for us to take care of our symptoms.

AngelaR

I believe we ladies can make this menopausal transition easier if we just know more about our bodies.

You are very right about the traditional medical profession being too eager to prescribe medications for everything. I saw that so much working in a pharmacy. Education works wonders, after all if it were a terminal disease, we would be on the internet and in the library finding out more about it and what course of treatments there are. So why shouldn't we do the same for menopause!
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 07:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/137/128
BF:
Progress: 25%

Herbnurse,
I have a question about the progesterone cream. What kind do you use and how much and where?? Oh yea, how often. Did it help your mood swings. What else is it good for?
Thanks for the info
Bblondie
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 10:31
Lover of Life

BF:

Blondie

Hi. I use Progesta Care made by Life-flo. I use this over others because it has a metered pump bottle and I get the exact dose everytime.

I use it in the evening after my shower (last one of many during the day). I rotate the areas, inner thighs, stomach, inside the upper arm and below the breasts.

Yes it did help tremendously for mood swings. That is one of the reasons I initially started using it because after my hysterectomy (still have ovaries) I was very moody, agitated easily and just felt crappy. It took about 4 weeks of using it twice a day (as recommended by my pharmacist) and then only once a day after that.

Any progesterone cream that gives you 20 mg. per dose should do the trick as per Dr. John Lee's book. I would recommend you check this book out at the library or buy it.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 17:14
Registered Member

Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up You girls are a sight for sore eyes :)

I wish I could remember to check this board more often.... actually, I think my memory is improving after 10 wks (?) of LC! I'm going to have to start promoting it as the second best treatment for menopausal symptoms! The first is my own personal type of HRT (HUMOR Replacement Therapy).

I love the talk about the fans. VERY familiar! I HAVE to have a fan blowing on me summer (even with the a/c on) and winter. I keep it very cool in my house all year. I dont really have hot flashes anymore, but my body temperature seems to always be warm and I can't stand being hot. Another reason I'm glad I don't have a husband.....I'm sure I wouldn't be lucky enough to get someone like you all seem to have. Even if I did, the double body heat in bed would kill me.

Don't know if any of you signed up for my newsletter, but I've just reviewed this great new book called "Double Menopause", the first one that really deals with the physical and emotional issues of both men and women. I was really impressed with this book, written by Dr. Nancy Cetel. I'm even going to have her on the cruise next year because so many women will be bringing their husbands.

Now I've got to figure out how to change my stats!! I'm very happy to report that I've lost 34 lbs and I'm still amazed at all the stuff I've given up and not missing anything (well, I DO sometimes look lovingly at someone's toast when I'm eating my eggs and bacon in a restaurant). Even having my mother here for 7 days (big time carb addict...but no weight problem), didn't throw me off my path! I am woman, I am invicible!! oh, and menopausal!

Dee
http://www.minniepauz.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buystock.jpg (31.5 KB, 7 views)
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 17:22
Registered Member

Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Talking Actually........

I've lost 39 lbs...... I even found out my scales are reading 5 lbs too heavy.....hahahah