Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 04:21

Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default LC chocolate/ lollies in Aussie

Hey, an LC friend of mine just told me that Darrell Lea stocks a range of low carb choccies and lollies.
Haven't been to check it out yet but going shopping this weekend. May not be any good if you are on Induction but if the carbs are not too much they might be okay if you watched the carbs the rest of the day. Yay!!
I also thought that a few LC choccies might be helpful over Christmas when everyone else idsscoffing carbs left , right and centre!! Better than being tempted.
My friend is raving about them. Let us know if you like them too.
kezza
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 06:40

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't seen the Darrell Lea chocolates yet but yesterday I stumbled upon the Cadbury Lite (made from NutraSweet, 7g of carbs per 75g) milk chocolate. I thought I'd never see the day that low-carb chocolate hit the shelves of Perth supermarkets so it was quite a find.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 08:13

BF:
Default Darrelea LC chocs and lollies

i did go to Darrelea's to check out the choccies and they had more than I thought.
A chocolate bar with hardly any carbs made with splenda for $2.
Expensive but I thought it was yummy. My kids said "It does'nt taste like diet stuff!"
Also lollies and choc covered nuts for $5 for 2 small packets.
And another box of lollies for about $3.50.
Not sure about the carbs in the other things. Might be helpful to get through Christmas day.
Oh...be careful about how much choccy you eat...The lable is right.
It DOES have a laxative effect!
See ya ,
kezza
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 21:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 68.4/71.0/61
BF:
Progress: -35%
Smile LC lollies in Australia

Hi Everyone,

I have only be LCing for 10 days but have discovered The Cadbury Lite and Darrell Lea chocolates already. It is great to be able to enjoy a treat over the festive season.

In Coles I bought Ricci Low Sugar lollies and they are great Less than 0.2gr per 100 of carbs and they are delicious. They come in Mint, Caramel and fruit flavours. Something to consider over this tempting Christmas period.

Hope this helps

Melsa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 22:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/151/130
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default l/c chocolates

I have tried the Darryl-Lea chocolates and lollies and also the Cadbury's Lite chocolate. I found the Darrly-Lea chocolate to taste "different" to regular chocolate (I know, I know, I do have very high expectations) and am not sure if I like it. The Cadbury Lite tastes (and feels) exactly the same as regular chocolate (after an initial chemicalish taste which is undetectable once your taste buds adjust to the new taste and I only experienced it with my first taste) - however I am worried about the Nutrasweet content. I can eat up to one block a day (during induction) and remain in ketosis so this may be so for others as well. The laxitive effect lessens (and may eventually disappear) as your body adjusts to the chemical construction of the chocolate.

I am an absolute chocoholic and needed to find an alternative to regular chocolate to keep me on the 'straight and narrow' and these products do the trick. I can honestly say that I eat less now - due to the reduced carb cravings perhaps .
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 22:51
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Nuttymum,

I agree the Cadbury lite tastes MUCH better than the Darrell Lea one (and is lower in carbs per 100gr) The other one does taste kind of gross.

I have almost finished induction and wasn't too sure if I could even have a carb reduced chocolate bar during this period however 2 weeks with nothing sweet was never going to happen.

I also ordered some low carb bread (supposedly 4 grms per slice at my local health food store - Northbridge Plaza). It should arrive the first week of January. This should be perfect timing for me to start to increase my carb levels - the fun will be working out where to stop!

I had been exercising alot during the last 10 days and then yesterday I hurt my foot and the doctor told me rest it for a few days - bummer I find it so frustrating to not exercise when I am trying to lose weight. Oh well.

Cheers

Melsa
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 14:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default LC Lollies Update

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note to say 'beware' of some of these lollies. I had some yesterday and had a terrible tummy ache like I haven't had for years .My best friend is a doctor and told me that this is a common problem with some of the sweets made using artificial sweeteners. The packets not joking when it says excessive consumption may have a laxative effect. I think it should be re-labelled 'any consumption'!

Have a good day

Melsa
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Beware of the Cadbury Lite (Aspartamine)

Hi all, I'm interested to hear from those of you eating the Cadbury Lite whether your weight loss has slowed? If not great! and I'd like to hear that.

The difference between the Darrell Lea and Cadbury is that Darrell Lea is made with Splenda and Cadbury is made with Nutrasweet (also known as Aspartamine)

Everything I read in these forums tells me that Aspartamine slows down weight loss. Splenda is the Artifical Sweetner recommended by Atkins.

The same for soft drinks. Be careful not to buy the ones with Aspartamine (Code is #951). I've read some pretty scarey stuff on the internet also about this product.

Thanks
Kim-Louise
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-01, 20:50
Registered Member

Plan: Plan from my Doctor
Stats: 209/187/127
BF:

I actually don't eat chocolate, hard to believe but true! Kezza darrell lea has a factory outlet in Springwood it has just opened so you may get lucky there. Where in Brissie are you?
Regards karni
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-01, 05:43

BF:
Default Darrrelea choccies and Splenda

K-Louise , I had read that Atkins allows splenda so that was why I tried the Darrelea sugar-free chocolate bar. It has less than 1 gram of carbs per bar.
Be careful though ...the other sugarfree products at darrelea have Isomalt in them.I'm pretty sure that is no good for low carbers.

thanks for the tip, karni about the factory at Springwood. I'm in Logan so that is very handy!!
see ya
kezza
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-01, 06:36
Registered Member

Plan: Plan from my Doctor
Stats: 209/187/127
BF:

Kezza I'm in Logan as well
Regards Karni
PS Happy LC Christmas!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-01, 05:18

BF:
Smile hi karni

Wow, it's a small world, is'nt it?!
Was'nt it HOT, HOT , HOT today in logan. I hoped you survived okay.
see ya
kezza
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 00:28

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was just reading a post in another thread, it mentioned that the Cabury Lite Chocolate has hidden carbs in it, the actual count is supposed to be about 30gs. I don't know if this is true. The best way to find out is to check it out yourselves.
I have found the sugarfree sweets, I think they are Ricci brand, are great. But eating too many can stall you, found that out the hard way.
All the sugarfree chocs and sweets have a warning on them regarding the laxative effect of eating too many.

cheryl