Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 03:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
It's a good idea overall. The rub possibly comes from the disagreement over what constitutes healthy whole foods. Fat is an essential macronutrient, but not everyone sees it the same way. Will certain factions want saturated fatty foods like red meats taxed, PUFAs from seeds emphasized? We shall see . . . . . .

The focus on cholesterol missed the actual issue, which is inflammation. Once we look at the problem with that realization, seed oils look very bad indeed.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 07:24

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The focus on cholesterol missed the actual issue, which is inflammation. Once we look at the problem with that realization, seed oils look very bad indeed.
And the added sugar to replace some of the "unhealthy artery-clogging" saturated fat. "Less than half the calories of fat", they said - true, but not if you consume 4-10X more to feel satiated.

As a kid I remember Ethel Mertz as being the fattest woman on TV. Seeing I Love Lucy now, she probably had a BMI of ~27, the high end of normal, and skinnier than the average American woman today.
  #138   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 03:39

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

How to lose weight and cut your Covid risk

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articl...our-covid-risk/

Quote:
Obesity is one of the major modifiable risk factors for admission to hospital in the event of a SARS-Cov 2 infection. This has been demonstrated in Europe as well as the UK by the ICNARC audit and researchers at Imperial College.

Action on this issue is imperative. Whether you are self-isolating as per official guidance or you are a key worker, changes to your diet can make a swift impact on your ability to fight the virus. Insulin resistance, the precursor to diabetes, which is also associated with dysfunction of immune cells when infection is present, can be positively affected by eating the right foods and anecdotal evidence that evidence of benefit may begin to manifest itself within 21 days.

It is important to experiment with different, evidence-based eating modalities to ascertain on an individual level, which one is beneficial, sustainable, affordable and satiating. If you are not hungry, you will not eat.

The scientific literature supports the Paleo diet, the Ketogenic diet, the Mediterranean diet as well as vegetarian and vegan diets of all varieties. Time-restricted eating, also known as “intermittent fasting ”, is also an option.

There is data to recommend older diets like Atkins, Zone and Ornish. The relatively new “Carnivore diet” is still in the data-generating phase, but there is anecdotal evidence of potential benefit.

No study has ever demonstrated the alleged long-term superiority of the officially recommended “low-fat, high carbohydrate“ diet; indeed an inverse relationship was found in a recent multi-country study.

Calorie-counting diets are associated with elevated hunger levels and result in a lowering of the metabolic rate, which explains the observed regain of lost weight by the majority of those who follow them.

Whilst widely divergent, all these plans have one thing in common: they avoid the consumption of UPFs (Ultra-processed food) and industrial seed oils e.g. canola, sunflower and soya bean. For some people, this may be the only option they have at the present time.

What are UPFs? They are manufactured food products, a cocktail of refined sugars, modified industrial seed oils, additives, salt, fats and chemical components. They include soft drinks, baked goods e.g. biscuits, ice cream, chocolates, sweets, breakfast cereal, instant soups, baby formula and pre-prepared frozen meals. They are highly convenient, hyper-palatable, non-satiating and of no health benefit.

The ingredients list on a popular brand of donuts reads more like an A’ level chemistry science project than anything resembling food.

The only benefit of UPFs is that their manufacturers make modest annual profits of almost $400 billion. What are the harms of UPFs? They cause excess calorie intake by not being satiating and they induce a person to eat more quickly, enabling them to consume more food before the satiety signals of the brain engage. Does this mean that consumption of these foods contributes to obesity? I’m afraid it does.

Obesity affects all levels of society but has a disproportionate impact on lower socioeconomic groups. which includes a proportion of BAME communities already at higher risk of diabetes, and metabolic disease. UPFs cost up to 60 per cent less than unprocessed food. For some poor families, this is the difference between eating and going to bed hungry and partly explains why this group consumes more of them.

UPFs are associated with the development of metabolic syndrome, as well as coronary heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.

Are these foods addictive? Refined sugar causes release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with addictive behaviour. In fact, it may be even more addictive than cocaine. Oddly enough, when people stop eating UPFs, they can experience withdrawal.

How does one avoid UPFs? By eating, fruit, vegetables, full-fat dairy, butter, meat, eggs, poultry, seafood, and avoiding food that comes in a box or packet with a long ingredients list. We all succumb to temptation; I suggest that anyone who finds the desire to eat something processed overwhelming should treat themselves to the most expensive, high-quality indulgence they can afford; the higher quality ingredients in such foods will not affect satiety levels the way UPFs have been deliberately designed to.

For some people this new, major change in direction, may be all they can handle under such trying times, especially essential workers & parents home-schooling children.

When you remember that in the UK, UPFs account for 57 per cent of total energy intake and 65 per cent of the total refined sugar in the average diet this positive change alone may make a spectacular difference to both weight and health. The underlying factors that led to obesity in the first place, must at some stage be dealt with.

We live in a social environment not engineered for human health, with mixed messages emanating from those whose interests do not include society becoming healthier. It is thus ironic that society blames the obese for their condition in a way that it blames no other patient group. An obese person has nothing to be ashamed of, and there is no justification for “fat-shaming”.
  #139   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 04:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
As a kid I remember Ethel Mertz as being the fattest woman on TV. Seeing I Love Lucy now, she probably had a BMI of ~27, the high end of normal, and skinnier than the average American woman today.

And it was not her usual size, either. She put on the weight to appear older next to her much older "husband."
  #140   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 04:40

BF:

I am seeing more studies that indicate the COVID-19 virus looks like something "coated in sugar" to our bodies. I wonder if this is connected to the insulin resistance problem leading to more complications and higher risk.

Are there more such receptors if someone is overweight? Does this fool the immune system somehow, resulting in the cytokine storm of overreaction?
  #141   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 08:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wear Bear, Did you see this article? That Covid may Cause diabetes in people not previously diagnosed. Explains the possible mechanism.

Is Covid-19 causing diabetes?

Quote:
When the prestigious medical journal The Lancet published a set of “practical recommendations for the management of diabetes in patients with COVID-19” (PDF), representing what must be the best up-to-the-minute consensus on the topic, the authors briefly noted one curious but potentially consequential aspect of treatment:

All patients without diabetes and particularly when at high risk for metabolic disease who have contracted the viral infection need to be monitored for new onset diabetes that might be triggered by the virus.

“New onset diabetes?”..... continues.

https://asweetlife.org/is-covid-19-causing-diabetes

DEMI,

Thanks for that Spectator article. It sounded as though it was written by Dr Malhotra...but it is Tarak Arab. I’ve not heard of that author before, but both his articles on losing weight were very good and inclusive of many healthy eating styles.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-21-20 at 10:16.
  #142   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 09:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Are these foods addictive? Refined sugar causes release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with addictive behaviour. In fact, it may be even more addictive than cocaine. Oddly enough, when people stop eating UPFs, they can experience withdrawal.

My bolding.

For those with ADD /ADHD, dopamine is low. This causes a malfnction of the frontal cortex which manifests as poor inhibitions. With an increase in dopamine levels thru addition of L -tyrosine or uptake inhibitors like ritalin and Concerta, life is better because the frontal area is functioning closer to "normal" .

I have often wondered why more and more people are diagnosed, both adults and children using the diagnostic method, if there is a change in the tissue during pregnancy or the very early years of childhood. I now wonder if our SAD diet or other environmental exposure triggers a change in the brain tissue during development.

Reguardless of the cause, my brain needs a boost in dopmine, and sugar and breads are a double edged sword. I prefer to use L-Tyrosine, and that requires several doses thru every day. Concerta is a controlled drug, requiring a new prescription every month IF primary doc sees a need, and often a regular pee in cup testing like a drug addict IF that doc decides that is required.

Eating sugar and breads is far less humiliating....... to boost dopamine.... and addictive.
  #143   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 12:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
For those with ADD /ADHD, dopamine is low. This causes a malfnction of the frontal cortex which manifests as poor inhibitions. With an increase in dopamine levels thru addition of L -tyrosine or uptake inhibitors like ritalin and Concerta, life is better because the frontal area is functioning closer to "normal" .

Then again, what is "normal"? Today's crowded offices and noisy workplaces, or the constant stream of public facing interactions in retail, all on top of a diet creating all sorts of mayhem in hormone regulation, means it's not just those with ADD or ADHD who are affected.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 16:33

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I have often wondered why more and more people are diagnosed, both adults and children using the diagnostic method, if there is a change in the tissue during pregnancy or the very early years of childhood. I now wonder if our SAD diet or other environmental exposure triggers a change in the brain tissue during development.

Interesting ideas which may prove to be the case. My first thought was just, oh, it's greater awareness and better diagnostics, but I think you may be on to something about those negative changes in diet. I grew up with a sibling who clearly by today's diagnostic standards suffered severe ADHD among other things, but way back then all the doctors and teachers seemed to be able to do was blame a mother for "causing" the problem and the kid for being underachieving/lazy/undisciplined when obviously smart. Some of my own children had challenges and I was so grateful for school people who said, yes there's something wrong, let's get it diagnosed and get your child the help they need rather than judging them as misbehaved.
  #145   ^
Old Fri, May-22-20, 03:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Wear Bear, Did you see this article? That Covid may Cause diabetes in people not previously diagnosed. Explains the possible mechanism.

Is Covid-19 causing diabetes?

https://asweetlife.org/is-covid-19-causing-diabetes

I did not! Thank you. It's a stark reminder that Insulin Resistance affects every system in the body. Especially the parts about monitoring a COVID-19 patient's blood sugar, and perhaps providing the kind of support a Type I needs.
  #146   ^
Old Fri, May-22-20, 03:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Interesting ideas which may prove to be the case. My first thought was just, oh, it's greater awareness and better diagnostics, but I think you may be on to something about those negative changes in diet. I grew up with a sibling who clearly by today's diagnostic standards suffered severe ADHD among other things, but way back then all the doctors and teachers seemed to be able to do was blame a mother for "causing" the problem and the kid for being underachieving/lazy/undisciplined when obviously smart.

Conditions such as ASD/ADD/ADHD have long genetic heritages. However, I'd agree that SAD creates a poorly working brain which makes these conditions harder to cope with under adverse conditions.

We are so used to thinking "here's a norm, and over there is what doesn't work" we could lose track that this same thing was used on us: "so-and-so stays slim eating the SAD, why can't you?"

These brain states have advantages, too: they are less likely to be seen that way when operating in environments that stress skills such brains don't tend to have, like a school which expects everyone to learn the exact same ways.

What the SAD does to our brain is the same, though: foggy thinking, fatigue, memory problems, executive function loss, depression, and anxiety. It's just going to affect people in different ways.
  #147   ^
Old Fri, May-22-20, 03:22

BF:

To bring it back to the topic, it's not overweight per se that makes a person so vulnerable to COVID-19. It's the underlying metabolic disorder that prevents the immune system from working as it should.

And not just insulin: there's such a thing as resistance to other hormones! I ran at such a high stress rate, for so long, my big problem was Cortisol Resistance. (And as Dr. Jack Kruse says, the next stage is Death.)

If our bodies deal with too much insulin by lowering their response, that same pathway would work for other hormones. And now we've got real issues and life-threatening inflammation: all before a coronavirus invasion sets up a challenge such a body cannot handle right.

Right now there's increasing reports of children reacting to this virus with Kawasaki Syndrome; a runaway inflammation response. And we know people are being diagnosed with Type II diabetes and younger and younger agest, to the point it isn't being called "adult onset" anymore.
  #148   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 06:58

Another update for Italy:

Italy Says 96% of Virus Fatalities Suffered From Other Illnesses

Quote:
The most recent ISS weekly study, based on a sample of about 10% of fatalities until May 21, also showed that just 124 victims, or 4.1% of the total, had no previous pathology. Almost 60% of victims suffered from at least three prior illnesses and about a fifth had two conditions.

More than 68% had high blood pressure, about 30% had diabetes and 28% suffered from heart disease, according to the report.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...other-illnesses
  #149   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 06:30

Default Nutrition policy must be at the center of the conversation

Where there is media coverage in the UK about obesity, ultra-processed foods, etc. and studies of Italy's death rate with co-moribidities, the US mainstream media has almost nothing about how being metabolically healthy can improve your chances of not getting severe symptoms and ending up in the hospital.
A good opinion piece by Dr Jeff Volek, but in the political paper, The Hill.

Nutrition policy must be at the center of the conversation

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthc...he-conversation

Quote:
In the coming months, much conversation will be centered around how to mitigate and prepare for pandemics like COVID-19. As we look at the death toll from this disease, reports show that many of the people who died had obesity and other related ailments including Type 2 diabetes. There’s a clear correlation between death rate and obesity and diabetes — the more severe, the higher the death rate. One way to mitigate these problems is to put nutrition at the forefront of the conversation. With a healthy population, America is better prepared to fight viruses or other unforeseen health concerns.

The cost of avoiding pandemics will link to the overall cost of health care, but the bigger cost we should be looking at is the cost of poor nutrition, and how the current U.S. Dietary Guidelines are hurting our nation rather than helping it. We also should look at why an approach based on the most rigorous science available — one that includes controlling carbohydrates - continues to get omitted from the conversation. Right now, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) are in the process of updating the U.S. Dietary Guidelines — the government’s nutrition policy. But once again, most Americans Are left behind by focusing their recommendations exclusively on the healthy population, a shockingly low percentage of us.

They are leaving out nearly 3 out of 4 Americans who are overweight or obese as well as the 50 percent who are diabetic or prediabetic. This ignored group of more than 100 million people need nutrition advice even more than the rest to help them achieve better health and in the process, save health care dollars.

Since the U.S. Dietary Guidelines were introduced, adult obesity rates have doubled, while childhood obesity has tripled. Annual medical spending attributed to obesity nationally is nearly $150 billion, about half of which is paid to Medicare and Medicaid. And rates continue to climb. Researchers have estimated that by 2030 if obesity trends continue unchecked, obesity-related medical costs alone could rise by $48 to $66 billion a year in the United States.

The American Diabetes Association estimated that the total cost of diagnosed diabetes rose to $327 billion in 2017 from $245 billion in 2012, a 26 percent increase over a five-year period and diabetes rates continue to rise. There is no question that nutrition therapy can prevent and reverse the effects of obesity, prediabetes and diabetes, and there is a good chance other chronic diseases like heart disease, cancer and neurological conditions would be positively affected as well.

The ADA has acknowledged the important role nutrition plays in managing diabetes and even noted that low carb diets may serve as an appropriate nutrition therapy. As so many Americans struggle to pay their increasing health care costs and the federal government grapples with how to help better manage these costs, changing the Dietary Guidelines is a necessary, effective and affordable solution.

The evidence is clear. If we don’t change course, many Americans will continue to follow guidelines that not only won’t improve their health but could make them sicker. We can alter this path by acknowledging that low-carbohydrate nutrition requires a more personalized approach. Our nation has embraced personalized medicine and it is transforming health care.

The federal government has the opportunity now to create 2020 Dietary Guidelines that are based on the strongest, most current science that provides nutrition recommendations that all Americans can follow to improve their health and reduce our nation’s health care costs. As health care costs continue to soar and chronic disease rates continue to rise, we cannot afford to wait another five years to get this right.

The science is overwhelming supporting restricting carbohydrates as a therapeutic approach to manage obesity, prediabetes and diabetes. The case is urgent, and the solution is apparent. What remains is for the U.S. government to step up and safeguard public health immediately.

Jeff S. Volek, Ph.D., R.D., is a full professor in the Department of Human Sciences at The Ohio State University, he has published 320 peer-reviewed articles examining health and performance effects of low-carbohydrate diets and other dietary and exercise patterns.
  #150   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 07:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Janet. Good opinion piece and information that must be shared widely especially now. While many have debated nutrition and argued about the most effective diets to achieve health, we've never had a situation where poor dietary habits risk immediate death until now.

The population has been dangerously lulled into nutritional complacency thinking that due to the symptoms associated with metabolic disease taking such a long time to manifest, that it's always someone else, usually older. This slow deterioration of health by eating encourages the "this won't happen to me" attitude until the symptoms become reality. It takes a good portion of a lifetime to understand how damaged one can be from dietary choices, and even then, there are pills we can take to get rid of the "diseases" that obscure the real causes. Today, however, we have a massive ramp up in childhood diabetes and obesity that, in normal circumstances, should get the attention of everyone. But it doesn't. We are living in a new normal where kids who should be healthy and of normal weight aren't.

We are distracted by advertisements for prescriptions that never address the root cause and support the thinking that it must be "me" and my genetics, that I need so many drugs to be healthy. We are distracted by food advertisements that make meals quick, easy, and deadly (never part of the message) forcing people to redefine eating that is so different from how people used to eat a mere 40 years ago. Let's hope messages like Volek's are published more widely and by more media sources, as The Hill's audience is limited and likely doesn't know or care to take action. Off my soapbox now . . .