Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-18, 18:40

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 240/178/140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Egg fried (Cauli) Rice

https://www.thatslowcarb.com/low-ca...li-rice-recipe/

1/4 cup oil (I used vegetable because I'm running low on olive oil and nobody else likes coconut oil)
1 (12 oz.) package riced cauliflower (Trader Joe's frozen)
1/2 lb. package broccoli slaw (I used a whole bag from Wegman's)
8 large eggs (I used 6 and I'm glad I did)
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
soy sauce to taste in moderation (just for serving).

Warm the oil in a large skillet. Add the cauliflower, broccoli slaw and eggs to the pan, stirring to scramble the eggs.
(I cooked the frozen cauli rice and broccoli slaw first before adding the eggs)
Stir in the spices.
Cook until the eggs are fully cooked and the veggies are cooked to your liking.
Serve with a small amount of soy sauce. (I used a little in my bowl. My gluten free child put a bunch of parm cheese on top and liked it)

This made a ton! It didn't take more than a small bowl to fill me up
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-18, 02:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Nice! I never thought of using broccoli slaw with it. That's a good budget idea. Riced cauli is expensive here, and that's a good way to stretch it out. (And no, I'm not doing it myself. I have neither the equipment nor the patience.)

Tip for giving it a more authentic flavour - add some sesame oil. It's not expensive, and a little goes a long way. I buy maybe a bottle a year. I only add a few shakes to riced cauli... probably barely a tsp.

If your GF kiddo would like it, maybe find some tamari. It's basically a fancy word for "soy sauce" actually made from soy and not wheat. I use the San-J lite brand. I prefer the lite over the regular, which is too syrupy and salty for me.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-18, 09:43

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 240/178/140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thanks for the tips! I'll look for the sesame oil and tamari next time I'm out
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-18, 10:29

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

missdiamon, try adding a couple of slices of fresh ginger root to the hot oil and stir fry a minute before adding your other veggies. This also adds a nice flavor dimension to your stir fry. Remove ginger slices when finished. Or use ginger paste from a jar.

~kristine, a food processor with a grating disc turns your cauliflower into rice really, really fast. SO much faster than using a box grater. I've also done it in the blender - add the cauliflower florets, add some water, then pulse... but then you have to dry off the final product, and you have to be careful you don't process it too finely, it happens very fast.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-18, 12:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Ha, I always forget about ginger. Another easy budget-friendly addition. If I buy a hunk of ginger, it’s maybe 20 cents.

Another addition I make: Hoy Fong chili garlic sauce. Might not be kid-friendly, though. It’s got some bite. Decent carb bargain. No added sugar or starch, and a little goes a long way. There’s a thread about it here.

Hmmm. Re doing my own riced cauliflower: I don’t have a blender or food processor, but I have a Magic Bullet. I googled around and it looks like it could be done in that. Maybe I’ll give it a try next time cauliflower is cheap, now that I have a dishwasher.