Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 20:16
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default New start

Hey ya'll; Enid here.

I'm a 1/2 year-old-Atkiner's and loving it. I've found great success in weight loss because of his research and findings, and am now branching out to PPLP.
Why?
Simply for more information and to just shake things up a little.

I just got the book today and am now on Chapter 2 pg 41. I worked 9-1/2 hrs today and yet between am and pm glances/readings.....
let's just say
'I'm hungry for more knowledge'...!!

I'm really absorbing what the good DR.s have to say about insulin and how important that specific hormone is to the function of the body as a whole.

Now, here I am looking forward to a massive week of long hrs. and wondering how much reading I'll get done.

Any tips on menu plans for me until I get more of the insights?

I've not lost a pound for over 2 months and instictivley feel it's time to shake things up.

Summer's coming guys!!! Thanks to all you LC smarties in advance!!

Enid.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 20:32
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Hey Enid! Jump back to the nutrition chapter, 13. Look at the chart for your protein requirement. Then look at portions and you'll get a feel for how the number translates into food. Eat your minimum protein requirement and 7 - 10 g net carb in each of 3 meals. You can have a snack with carbs. Max is 40g carbs per day. Eat whatever fat you want, and whatever carbs you want within the meal/snack limit.

I generally eat a little less protein for breakfast -- not a lot less but a little -- and a little more at dinner. I'm supposed to eat 34g per meal minimum, but I generally can't go over around 27 at breakfast.

Welcome aboard!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 15:17
AntiSAD

BF:

Thank-you LessLiz!

I actually snook the book to work and am reading in 5 min intervals when there's a lull...

I was wondering about the amount of protein requirements. Thanks for the great advice....
again!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 15:18
AntiSAD

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
I actually snook the book

I sound like Dr. Suess!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 07:49
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm still laughing at the Dr. Seuss thing. I've been reading Seuss to my son (already at 14 weeks - One Fish, Two Fish - see it is low carb hee hee)

Welcome (back) Enid! I'm sending support but not really much in the way of recipes. I'm about to post in the "PP chat" thread about what I've been doing lately, but even when I was more strict I didn't really have recipes. I honestly kept it simple exactly how LessLiz said...knowing the basic protein amounts and starting with that and then just adding in good carb choices as I wanted. I've always been a bit more of a "daily value" person versus taking a meal-to-meal approach so strictly and it's worked well.

I say just make small steps at a time eating things that satisfy and that you know are good and keep reading...you're doing it exactly right! And thank you for inspiring me to pick up the book again and re-read sections, which I like to do every so often.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 11:41
AntiSAD

BF:

Thanks Lisa!

My daughter LOVED Dr. Suess! She couldn't get enough of his humor/rhyme! Good for you starting early; it really sets them up.

I agree simple is best. It's a bit intimidating starting something new but after only one day am feeling calmer.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 12:02

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

When I'm really busy at work, I throw a roast or two in the oven, eat some and put the rest in single-servings in small ziplocks and then into a big freezer bag (one per type of meat). Then, I grab a frozen meat packet, some veggies and nuts & head to work. By lunch time the meat is defrosted & I'm ready to go. I also make quick salads w/meat at home or steam some frozen veggies & frozen meat, add butter & that's dinner. Once the meat is cooked & packaged I can grab/prepare a meal in 30-seconds to 10 minutes max.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 15:04
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
It's a bit intimidating starting something new but after only one day am feeling calmer.

THAT is an EXCELLENT sign! That means you're doing something right and I'm happy to say the same thing has been happening to me lately, which I needed in a big way!

Deidra, great food suggestions. For me I do a lot of simple meat and veggie preps because my hubby and mom both eat bread and other carb sides that I don't. So, for example, tonight is marinated london broil on the grill (we grill outside year round, yes, in NY weather LOL) and probably caprese salad (my own version with balsamic vinaigrette and dried basil on a bed of baby romaine - until we have fresh tomatoes and basil in the garden - can't wait). I'll make french fries for hubby and mom but won't partake. And the leftovers are always a happy addition to the fridge for me for the next day!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-08, 08:58
AntiSAD

BF:

I'm a big-time prepare-ahead type person... you can typically find me in the kitchen late at night [getting lunches portioned and packed for the family and usually starting some kind of main course for the next day] If I don't have easy grabbage I know I'll slip! I don't know what I'd do without my slow-cooker! What a nice way to end a work day...walk in the door to the aroma of slow cooked meat and or meat dish [of any kind]

Oh Lisa...the garden!!. ..I'm sooooo itchy....I started some tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers, and of course many varieties of flowers just last night. I've never started seeds indoors before, but am feeling so impatient for summer. Maybe it has to do with this woe, as I'm eating so many vegetables?

Oh....and after only 2 days on PP, my scale shows a loss of 2 pounds! I feel it in my jeans too!
Now, I'm not changing my stats just yet...I've been chasing the same 5 pounds round and round for months....lets just say my nick name is Dizzy-kitty.

But here's to hoping!

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by feelskinny : Thu, Apr-17-08 at 09:07.