Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-24, 06:22

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/241.4/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default First Study to Show the Link Between Sugar Alcohols and Liver Cancer

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-24, 07:12

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

The article only mentions erythritol and sorbitol, but there are many other sugar alcohols. I wonder if he just didn't study the others, or if they didn't have the same link to liver cancer. (the link in the article to the full study only gives an overview - need a subscription to see the rest of it)

The sugar alcohol most used in sugar free candies and LC or Keto type bars is maltitol.

The front of the packages of some sugar free candies and bars may say they're made with splenda or stevia, but Maltitol is almost always one of the first ingredients (if not THE first ingredient) listed on the back. Maltitol is not nearly as concentrated as most artificial sweeteners, so it's used to provide a texture that's closer to regular sugar sweetened candies and bars.

There are lots of recipes for sugar free treats using the sweeteners containing erythritol, and many people also use those sweeteners in their tea/coffee, but I haven't seen it used much in prepared products. (Although I don't bother to read the indredient lists much on prepared products these days, since I rarely buy them)

____

Also not too surprised that erythritol can be problematic - it's yet another UPF ingredient. It may occur naturally in the body, but not at anywhere near the levels used in sweeteners.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-24, 09:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Abstract
Oxidative stress modulates carcinogenesis in the liver; however, direct evidence for metabolic control of oxidative stress during pathogenesis, particularly, of progression from cirrhosis to hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), has been lacking. Deficiency of transaldolase (TAL), a rate-limiting enzyme of the non-oxidative branch of the pentose phosphate pathway (PPP), restricts growth and predisposes to cirrhosis and HCC in mice and humans. Here, we show that mitochondrial oxidative stress and progression from cirrhosis to HCC and acetaminophen-induced liver necrosis are critically dependent on NADPH depletion and polyol buildup by aldose reductase (AR), while this enzyme protects from carbon trapping in the PPP and growth restriction in TAL deficiency. Both TAL and AR are confined to the cytosol; however, their inactivation distorts mitochondrial redox homeostasis in opposite directions. The results suggest that AR acts as a rheostat of carbon recycling and NADPH output of the PPP with broad implications for disease progression from cirrhosis to HCC.

Thisis the abstract.

The entire study needs a review. Too many studies are either poorly done, or misleading in the summary. Is this one?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-24, 20:52

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Thisis the abstract.

The entire study needs a review. Too many studies are either poorly done, or misleading in the summary. Is this one?

Ah - I used the wrong word.

(Can you tell I'm not much of a scientist? I am TRYING, just not doing all that well coming up with the proper terminology)

But yes - I was hoping it would have the entire... Study (Is that the word?) Whatever it is that gives all the nit-picky details, everything about how the research was conducted.

I want to know if they tested all sugar alcohols - and why the article only specified erythritol, only very briefly mentioning sorbitol, despite the fact that if you go down any aisle with pre-fab sugar free products, maltitol is usually the most prevalent sugar alcohol.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-02-24, 06:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

The Nature Metabolism paper about this study is here.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-022-00711-9