Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Insulin lowering
Stats: 144/134/122 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default The website and "new revolution" book don't jive

After studying the website, I finally picked up the book as advised by many people in these forums. Now, the book came out in 2002 so I'm assuming the website has the most current advice/research. But this still bothers me.

The website says 12-15 grams veggie carbs, and provides a list of acceptable veggies.

The book says nothing about carb counts for veggies. Intead, it says 3 cups salad vegetables (list provided)
OR
2 cups salad vegetables plus 1 cup other vegetables (list provided).

Based on the book, it's rather impossible to hit 12 grams veggie carbs in this ratio.

What do you guys think? Either do the book or do the website and don't try to mix them? Both will work as long as you're sticking to one plan?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 09:43

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Lynn. Use the book!!! The website is there to try to see you their unhealthy products.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 09:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yes, both will work especially for someone who is at a healthy weight, and you use the real food version. If you were obese, or had blood sugar issues/diabetes, then the lower amount of veggie carbs from 2002 might be better, especially to start. Note, even in the 2002 book that those are the Induction level of carbs, you would be adding more vegetables and other foods as you " climb the ladder".
The 12-15 carbs veggies was introduced in the New Atkins book from 2010, but that plan was for the most part, still all Whole Foods. The 2010 edition was the one with the most science...the latest editions removed the science. What the current website diet allows is many forms of processed Atkins foods, bars and frozen meals, which are not a good idea...if you do the website version, do not follow the plan with the products.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 11:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The website took Dr Atkins' plan and changed it to make it easier to sell their garbage.

He did not make suggestions as to, for example, the size of meat portions. Just "eat when hungry, stop when full."

My impression of the site, aside from it pimping the corporation that uses the name Atkins to sell crud, is that they are trying to blend low carb with the USDA recommendations. Which, of course, is a recipe for disaster.

The books, either of Dr Atkins, or the one recommended by Janet (A New Atkins for a New You) were all written by doctors who have worked for a long time with people to help them lose weight with a low carb plan.

The website? Who knows?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Insulin lowering
Stats: 144/134/122 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I had NO idea about the website. Thanks everyone! The book seems much simpler. Based on the website, I was searching for a way to get enough vegetables. Although I admit, I'm used to eating more than what the book prescribes.