Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 22:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/198/180 Male 71 Inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Strange weight gain in the past 2 days

I've been on the LC for about a month and a half. I have steadily been losing weight (40 pounds so far) and have stalled a couple times which lasted for about a week but my weight just remained steady. These past couple days though I have gained about 6 pounds (From 204 back to 210). I have changed two things:

1) I have been taking "1 a day" vitamins for the past 3 days since I thought I would benefit from it cause I have cut almost all fruits.

2) I have been going to the gym for the first time since I started the diet.

It's discouraging when you see the scale go in the up direction when you're following everything to the dot. Is this just excess water that my body is storing due to the change in my increased daily activity? or could this be from the vitamins? I stopped the vitamins and going to give the gym a rest for a couple days to see what happens. I keep telling myself that it's impossible to gain 6 pounds of fat in 2 days but it would be nice to hear it from someone else.

Can anyone give me some encouraging explanation?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-08, 23:20
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Sure!

I'm sure your vitamin has nothing to do with it. Vitamins are not an issue on low carb.

When we work out we often get minor tears in our muscles. This is normal and is part of how we build muscle mass. There is often swelling associated with those minor tears, and it can add up to several pounds of water. As those minor injuries are repaired the swelling and water weight goes away.

With exercise... Some people find they gain a few pounds then lose from that point down as they did before. Some other people find they gain a few pounds, drop them after a few days the continue to lose without seeing much of a bounce up afterward. Yet other people find they have more fluctuations up and down on a daily basis but that the overall trend is down.

Finally, remember this. Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes we see a bounce up for no apparent reason and after a few days it drops back down again. Some people are very sensitive to sodium, and if they eat a little more than usual they see an increase on the scales. Women almost always see fluctuations in weight associated with hormone changes through their monthly cycle. While the changes in hormones are not as large in men over the course of the month, some men will actually see variations in weight that are cyclical and associated with hormones.

The thing to keep in mind is that on a day to day basis -- sometimes even on a week to week basis -- your weight can fluctuate even when you are doing everything right.

Your 6 pounds in 2 days is likely just temporary swelling. It *is* virtually impossible to gain 6 pounds of fat in 2 days.

You are doing very well. The only way this bounce can hurt you is if you let it get you down. Have faith, it really will go away all by itself.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-08, 02:16

BF:

Thanks for your input. I'm not ready to give up any time soon so I'll keep to it and see what happens.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-08, 09:38
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Narbs nothing to worry about, when I started lifting again 8 pound gain the first week, 2 pound gain the second week, that night whooosh, lost 5 pounds in 24 hours, Your body will regulate it self soon. Best of luck, keep up the great work...Bru
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-08, 16:09

BF:

Thanks for you support. I just kept up with it and went back down to my original weight and lost some also. I think it was my body adjusting to working out that caused me to retain so much water but everything is back to normal now. Thanks for your suggestions.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-08, 21:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/134.5/130 Female 164 CM
BF:
Progress: 44%

I just started training for a triathlon...I lost 2 lbsthe first week and then despite drinking a lot and working out, gained 5 lbs this week when my period is aroudn the corner a week away- it sucks but yeah, working out makes my body nuts until i develop a routine.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-08, 03:26

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Narbs

Since you are a man you will also "beef up" quickly. You will build muscle mass, which is heavier than fat, and that means weight. But it also means a faster metabolism.

I also experience weird weight gains, then sudden losses with work outs.