Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 08:22
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 215/192/160 Female '5 "6
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Newbie with PCOS and big hopes

I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of years ago. Since then I have been on medication (glucophage, avandia, medroxyprogesterone) to control my insulin levels and get them down to a 'normal' level. Infertility is sometimes a bi-product of PCOS, that was my main reason for the medication. I have since stopped taking them b/c they did not work and they made me sick (the diarrhea was awful). I have tried other 'quick fix' things in the past. I was even running 3 1/2 miles every morning and evening with a low fat diet and did not loose an ounce. I have since put on so much weight (and so easily too) that I don't have the energy to talk a long walk anymore (I have to push myself).

I just wanted to know if there are any other people dealing with PCOS and if so what LC plan are you under? Have you seen a change?

I just don't want to fail again!

Thanks,
suga' no more

(this is a copy of a thread I posted on the Newbie question forum, so you may see this one again)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 21:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 323/323/185
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post PCOS & ME

HEY SUG,

I was diagnosed c with PCOS about 3yrs ago. Ever since my daughter was born 4+yrs ago I've weighed above 300. It wasn't 'til I went to the MD with my complaint of bad very irregular periods and they did an ultrasound that they could start to treat me effectively.

I'm on Glucophage 500mg 3x a day and on progesterone on 21days off 28days (the progesterone is new in the last 3 months).
I really think that my Glucophage helps with my cravings and keeps me more level.

On Nov 13, 2001 I weighed in at 344.5, now I' 315.2lbs. Most people don't notice a difference, but I fell so mush better. I'm sticking mostly to the Summersize plan. It's real easy once you get the "rules" done. At least this way I can still have carbs at times, I just choose better carbs. I tried Atkins & I was so exhausted in the 1st week, I just couldn't go on. I know that 30lbs in a years doesn't sound all that impressive, but at least I didn't go 30lbs in the other direction.

So now, I want to get back to exercising and hopefully really "getting serious" about my plan. If I can take off 30lbs without being super serious, just think of what might happen. I am hoping that one day I might be able to have another baby.

Good Luck, just try to get to a point where you feel better, then you can think about incorparating other parts into your plan.

One Day At A Time, One Meal At A Time

Jen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 215/192/160 Female '5 "6
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thanks so much for your reply...I was beginning to think that noone wanted to talk (write) to me. I will try Atkins and see how that goes...my ultimate goal is to drop 50lbs and ovulate on my own for once...I just get so discouraged sometimes all I want to do is cry....but after reading so many people's testimonies on this site, I have newfound hope.

Okay enough babbling....thanks again...

suga' no more
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 10:15

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Hi there ladies,
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1988, the only treatments I have ever been on has been BCP until this past year when I started glucophage. I started LC in July after a doctor visit when I was ready to approach fine tuning my diet. He did mention body for life but said it would still be too high carb for me. ( A real clue that this doctor is upto date.) He didn't give me a specific diet to follow but did say that he wanted to know what I decided on my next visit. (My older sister introduced me to TSP and that is what I have been doing. I feel very good on it, and it is a bit easier to manage than summersizing but the two together should be fairly compatible because Dr. Schwarzbein is her doctor.)
I go in to see him again in November. Last November he put me on glucophage and aldactone and changed the pill I was on because I always felt like I had morning sickness. He said that if one pill doesn't work to try another because one Will work with out the major side effects, it is just finding the right one.
I have been working out steadily since March 2001 and it took 6 months to loose anything, since then I have lost somewhere now close to 30 lbs. I don't weight myself except and the Dr, or at sister-in-laws in Idaho. I only measure and I have had a couple of drops since my last weigh in. Jen like you 30 lbs may not seem like a lot to what other people expect but a loss is a loss and slow is much better because it is less likely to be put back on.
Suga no more we are here to be a support for each other.
hope you start a journal i will come and visit.
Tanya
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 00:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 202/202/180 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:41%/38%/30%(?)
Default i know i am late!

i just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, like i always do. i was diagnosed in april with PCOS and started LCing in septmeber. i have never been happier on a diet and i have been dieting my whole life!
i don't want to be a disouragement in anyway, but i just want to say that i have not yet ovulated on my own from LCing. not to say that i won't. and clomid is what has kicked me into gear with getting regular periods. but always remember that everyone is different. and everything works differently.
i just want to say that we are all here for you if you need anything. or just to talk. another thing that has helped me tremendously is starting a journal. the people there are wonderful and such a great encouargment. good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 198.5/185/130
BF:
Progress: 20%

I was just told that i have it and after 4 years of infertility, I am glad to have the diagnosis. i thought i had it sinc ei first read about itn a magazine. my reproductive endocrinologist just told me and gave an sample diet plan. guess wht? it has 4 starch sevings on it. Not very low carb to me. but anyway i started LA Wt Loss in July and although i still go in to weigh in and for support, i am following Atkins and not telling them.
I am on glucophage asof this week. Clomid did not work and he wants me to start out on 500mg and build up to 1500 mg a day. then see dr. in two moths and review with possible doing clomid and glucophage together. i am only 30...he seems positive. i have lengthy periods (3 weeks durations soemtimes)and irregular ones.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 14:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 202/202/180 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:41%/38%/30%(?)

spch, i totally know what you mean. finally diagnosed. i have had all of the same symptoms since i was 11. and i have been going to the doc's for like 10 years. reading up on PCOS when i was first diagnosed it was such a revalation. if only PCOS was more known to doctors. in a way it makes me mad. when i went in for infertility, they knew in a matter of minutes and just did an untra-sound. before the doctors just gave me BCP, but didn't check into anything.
i have heard that LA wtl is a really good place, just expensive. but i will say that LCing here, has been such a great support for me. almost more than the "real" people in my life.
when were you diagnosed? well, if you need any support feel free to write to me. you can just stop my my journal or i will do the same! hope everything goes well!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 20:11

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Thumbs up Hey!

I am TigerSue's sister..
and while I do not have PCOS..I am now 42 years old..and not losing very quickly.
Iam Impressed by ANY weight loss and ANYONE that is willing to put the work into caring for themselves.
For you with PCOS, this is a tough thing...not easy because so much of our unfortunately mysogynistic world does not accept that this is the case.
BUT Tiger and I are PROOF that a calorie is not a calorie.. I KNOW how I work out.. I KNOW..!!!
And I am NOT down any that I am aware of..
although some clothes are loosening up.
Its work..but there are ways..and you are in a great group to find those ways..
Poofie!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 157/128/137 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 145%
Default glucophage and diarrhea

I have PCOS and was diagnosed about 20 yrs ago with it.

If i was not on bcp, i would have a couple periods a year. I began to take glucophage XR 2000 mg a day about a year ago and i quit my bcp. I have had a period every month for the last 9 months.

The glucophage did give me diarrhea, but when i combined low carb with it, the diarrhea got better. I think the higher fiber helped the diarrhea. Normally I am not a high fiber eater.

One reason i persevered with the glucophage was that I am insulin resistant enough that I am now a type II diabetic.

You might try giving the glucohpage another go with increased fiber.

Gina