Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 11:40

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Will Nuts stall you?

I'm loosing very slowly. Haven't lost anything for last week and a half. Have only lost 7 pounds in nearly three weeks. Not close to the 10 percent that seems to be common. I've been keeping a log of my eating and have noticed that I eat quite a bit of nuts for snacking. although it's only maybe an oz at a time... it adds up at days end. Could this be the cause of my slow weight loss?? I hate to cut them out because they are so satisifying and also help with constipation, HOWEVER... I would rather loose the weight. So if this can stall me... I will either cut down or lay off them totally. Anyone else have this experience?? Suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 11:51

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Meadow, it could be the nuts, and it could be many other things. The only way to be sure would be to keep a record here where we could see what you're eating.

Some typical stallers:
  • eating too little
  • Drinking too little water
  • Eating fake foods (LC bars, mixes, candies)
  • Medications
  • Birth Control Pills
  • Allergies to certain foods (most commonly, eggs, soy, dairy, nuts)
  • A history of yo-yo dieting

Consider starting up a Journal where you can keep menus/food - it will allow us to better offer advice.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 12:00

BF:

Thanks for your response Nat. I have given thought to an online journal, however not sure that I can keep up with it. I tend to forget to do my home journal. If that is not a concern, then yes, I would start an online journal. Also... I do have a loooooong history of being a yo-yo. LOL! Is there an explaination for why certain foods may cause a person to stall or may cause a slower fat loss? The nuts for example... is there some specific reason why they might cause us to lose slower? Or is it just that some foods react differently for different people? Is it mostly trial and error? I'm still learning here... I thank you for your opinions. :-)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 12:24

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Meadow, the nuts can be an issue for some because of a) allegies or intollerances and b) because we often under estimate how many of them we are actually eating People tend to think that its a sodium issue - when in fact there is less sodium in a serving of nuts than in a serving of SF pudding.

What can stall you food wise is what we call a YMMV thang (Your Milage May Vary). What stalls me may not stall you, and vice versa. There are a few foods that stand out - things you look to first when things are problematic. Dairy tends to be a biggie for women - it could be the hormones found in a lot of cow dairy, it could be the sodium (yes, there is a lot of it in cheese), it could be that you're eating more of it than you think. Food intollerances can present as swelling and bloating - something you used to eat with no problem can become one when you LC and carbs are removed from the picture.

IMO, the two (OK 3) biggies for people new to LC are

• [1] Insufficient calories
    [2] Insufficient water
    [3] A history of having tried every diet known to woman-kind

A little reading, Lark. You might find these two links helpful.

Yo-yo Dieting: The Side Effects
So, You Think You're a Turtle?

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 14:26

BF:

Thanks Nat... very, very helpful. It always helps me to know the reasoning behind an issue. I will follow up with the URL's you included in your post. Thanks again, your willingness to provide information and assistance is most appreciated!

Meadow (lark)