Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Products with fewer carbohydrates may not taste as good, but that isn't stopping..."

Weighing the low-carb craze

Products with fewer carbohydrates may not taste as good, but that isn't stopping shoppers

By Joe Yonan, Globe Staff, 3/17/2004

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/artic...low_carb_craze/

When Steve Kapner started the Atkins diet last December, he got help during the "hard core" two-week induction phase -- when he couldn't eat fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables, nuts, or most dairy products -- by supplementing meals with Atkins Nutritionals Inc.'s shakes.

After losing a quick 12 pounds, Kapner fast-forwarded through some of the program's remaining phases, slid straight into maintenance, and now considers himself on "modified Atkins." He stays away from all refined sugar, tries to keep other starches to a minimum, and allows himself some grains and fruit. And he doesn't religiously track his carbs. "I do sort of have in my mind that 15 to 20 [grams of] carbs per meal would be good," he says. "So maybe one meal a day I'll count, and the others I'll sort of let float." Kapner, 37, who lives with his wife and two young daughters in the South End, is one of an estimated 32 million people in the United States who are following what the company founded by the late Dr. Robert C. Atkins calls "a low-carbohydrate lifestyle." Just as fast-food chains such as Subway have rolled out menu items to capitalize on the craze, food manufacturers are weighing in with packaged products that can be found not only online or at health-food or nutrition-supplement stores, but at supermarkets. Although Atkins Nutritionals, which makes hundreds of products, is the undisputed industry leader, it is far from the only player. The milk Kapner buys is the result of a cooperation between Atkins and New England's own HP Hood Inc. He also buys chips made by Robert's American Gourmet, which saw success with the popular Pirate's Booty, and ice cream from Klondike, whose chocolate-covered confections are a junk-food classic.

In fact, many manufacturers have knocked off their own or another company's popular snack food, hoping to satisfy customers who want, say, cheese puffs without all the carbs. The effect can be seen up and down the supermarket aisles.

"In the last few months we've added products that we like to call `quality meal solutions,' " says Terry Donilon, spokesman for Shaw's Supermarkets Inc. "That includes pasta, sauces, marinades, candy, soup. It's just really exploded."

Consumers have noticed. "When you see a low-carb version of something you haven't had in a while, it's exciting," says Melissa Bachman, 33, who isn't following a specific low-carb program. "You think, `I can have that again!' "

But while manufacturers aim to satisfy the demand, Kapner, Bachman, and other customers give the low-carb versions decidedly mixed marks. "I certainly would eat more pasta and . . . bread if there were really good substitutes for them that are diet-friendly," says Brian Kern, 30, of Brookline, who is on the South Beach Diet. "There are passable substitutes that are still somewhat high in carbs, but they're not super satisfying, and they're not super diet-friendly."

Bachman is blunter. "I tried some of the energy bars, and the texture is gross," she says. "The low-carb waffles are pretty good." She describes low-carb breads in the most unflattering terms.

Indeed, when an informal panel of a dozen tasters at the Globe sampled reduced-carb products beside their regular equivalents, we found a few pleasant surprises but otherwise little to love. We tasted 14 pairs, which were presented without packaging and, where possible, were cut to make both products similarly sized (to reduce the possibility of prejudice). In only a few cases were the tasters unable to determine the lower-carb version from the regular. Granted, in some instances the appearances easily gave the identity away because some products are so distinctive: Nothing else looks or tastes as much like a Dorito as a Dorito.

But there was some good news. Only two tasters, for instance, could tell which of Entenmann's butter loaves had fewer carbs; many found the lower-carb one moister. Tasters had a similar reaction to two Ragu pasta sauces, finding them difficult to tell apart. Both Klondike ice cream bars were also well received.

On the other end of the spectrum, Danielle brand lower-carb pasta drew more than one comparison to cardboard, Hood's low-carb "dairy beverage" was likened to watery chalk, and snack chips by Atkins, Trader Joe's, and Robert's American Gourmet were compared to packing materials. Most of the chips were faulted for off-putting aftertastes.

But taste is just one element to consider. The nutritional content is crucial. While food companies are introducing new products right and left, the Food and Drug Administration has not yet established standards for recommended daily intake of carbs, nor, therefore, any definition of "low carb."

Other labeling issues make packaged products even more complicated. Some, such as Thomas's Carb Counting Bagels, were deemed by the Globe panel to have a decent flavor and texture, but at 18 "net carbs" per serving, and a serving size 40 percent smaller than that of a regular Thomas bagel, its standing as a low-carb product is questionable. "If you're not trying to lose but trying to maintain your weight, maybe you can have one of those now and then," says Kay Hobkirk, who under the pseudonym of "Boston Kitty" operates a website devoted to low-carb information. "But [18 carbs] for one meal is huge for a lot of people. And they don't even taste very good."

The "net carbs" idea, in fact, is controversial in the nutrition community. To arrive at that figure -- which is designed to reflect that some carbohydrates don't have the same effect on blood sugar as others -- manufacturers take the total carbs and subtract the fiber and in some cases a substance called "sugar alcohol." Some nutritionists question whether sugar alcohol, which can cause a laxative effect, can justifiably be subtracted because it affects people's blood sugar differently. Which means that products such as the Entenmann's butter loaf or the Atkins Endulge candies may not be as friendly to carb watchers as they might seem.

Finally, there's price. In only one of the 14 pairs sampled was the low-carb version cheaper by weight, and in many cases the price difference was vast. Shaw's charges $2.19 for a half-gallon of Hood milk, for example, but $3.49 for the same size of Hood's Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage, or about 60 percent more. And while 12 large Reese's peanut butter cups cost $2.79, a package of three small Atkins Endulge peanut butter cups costs $1.49, or almost four times as much per gram.

Even so, sales are strong enough that Atkins alone expects to introduce 100 packaged products this year, almost tripling the number it introduced last year, says chief marketing officer Matt Wiant. But he urges consumers to remember that no diet should be built around such products alone. "You're going to get a better balance of nutrients if you eat whole foods," Wiant says.

Other carb counters second that idea. "One of the reasons I like to do all my own cooking is I like to know what's in my food," says Hobkirk, whose website includes recipes. "If you're willing to spend the time, you can have complete control and eat delicious food, and it's real -- none of this artificial stuff."

Joe Yonan can be reached at yonan~globe.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 07:42
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Sometimes I really have to question LC products. Taste aside, when looking at the list of ingredients I am frustrated to see the main ingredients of some of these items still being refined flour and such. Also, many are concerned with the use of soy and a lot of these products contain soy.

The jury is still out in our house about whether or not these products are worth the convenience. I have recipes for crackers and sauces that I'll break down and buy simply because I don't have time to make them, but at what cost? They're expensive products (supply and demand), some of them have a very odd taste (being very nice here), and it seems as though some of these companies aren't paying attention to ingredients (which is the whole reason I started LCing in the first place - ingredients are important!).

Unfortunately, HFS are starting to carry more and more low carb products, and people think if they buy these products in a HFS that it's healthy for them. I mean, that's an intuitive assumption, right?

I'm not saying all LC products are bad. We buy the HP Hood milk (although I don't know what all the ingredients are in there....) all the time. It's nice to have a lower carb milk and not feel guilty when I have a bowl of Gram's Gourmet Cinnamon Toast Flax 'n' Nut Crunchies (which are excellent, btw). I'm just guessing this is going to be another marketing game like with the low-fat fad and people will stop reading ingredients lists since it's labeled healthy on the box!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 12:55

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I agree ellemenno. Too many people are going to go by the marketing labels rather than looking at the ingredients.

As for this Gram's Gourmet Cinnamon Toast Flax 'n' Nut Crunchies. Does this stick with you longer than regular carb cereals?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 07:48
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
As for this Gram's Gourmet Cinnamon Toast Flax 'n' Nut Crunchies. Does this stick with you longer than regular carb cereals?
I think if I were to compare an actual serving size of the Gram's Gourmet to something like Cheerios or Fruity Pebbles (or anything, really), I would have to answer yes to this one. I've been really good about measuring out exact serving sizes with the LC cereals, but I wasn't so good with regular carb-laden cereals, and I would feel less satisfied after eating a huge bowl of Fruity Pebbles (one of my favorites) than Gram's Gourmet. Gram's Groumet is a mixture of nuts and flaxseed if I remember correctly (none in the house right now) and reminds me greatly of Cinnamon Toast Crunch (another of my favorites). We also like to use Flax-O-Meal Granola by Low Carb Success, and I think that's equally filling.

I still think cereal needs something else with it so we'll tend to have an EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shake before the cereal, but I'll do that with anything I'm eating when I take it to work. I'll drink the shake when I get to work and then after I get settled, I'll fix my cereal or I'll heat up my breakfast. Possibilities for both B and me include leftover Dutch Baby (see entry #3 in my journal), Pork Rind French Toast (yes, it's really good), and the waffles/panackes made with Flax-O-Meal Pancake and Waffle mix by Low Carb Success (which is excellent).

Last edited by ellemenno : Sun, Mar-21-04 at 08:22.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 08:19

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Thanks ellemenno, I'll put that cereal on my list. I also drink the EAS shakes, frequently for breakfast. Have you tried the Dark Chocolate one? yummy!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 08:23
Lurking LowCarber

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Thanks ellemenno, I'll put that cereal on my list. I also drink the EAS shakes, frequently for breakfast. Have you tried the Dark Chocolate one? yummy!

I was surprised to find I like all the flavors (couldn't say that about Slim Fast) but the Rich Dark Chocolate is my favorite. Yummy is exactly what I was thinking.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 09:47
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Packaged products which I think are good.

After 1 year on Atkins, I can give you two thumbs up on the 40 types of products below:

1) Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed (more of a whole food)
2) Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour (more of a whole food)
3) CarbSense or MiniCarb Zero Carb Bake mix (about as close to regular flour for replacement cooking as you can get)
4) http://www.deepdiscountnutrition.com Low Carb Emporium's 7-grain fiber bagels in many flavors. (These are all SOOOOO good--best bread substitute, 1 net carb per bagel gram, so you can eat a 4 gram bagel with about 4 grams net carbs--they make fabulous bagel pizzas).
5) DaVinci's Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup (a must for fancy coffee)
7) Hood Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage - Whole (blended with strawberries and splenda, makes a wonderful milkshake, far superior in taste than any of the packaged shaekes). Other good syrups, for pancakes Atkins Pancake Syrup is good, but runny, Log Cabin makes a SF syrup with good flavor and texture but watch out for the maltitol.
8) Hood Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage - Chocolate (warmed up makes an excellent cup of hot chocolate, very satisfying).
9) FlaxOMeal - our family favorite is Strawberries & Cream.
10) HomePride White Fiber Bread (a moist white-bread lookalike with 10 grams carbs - 4 grams fiber per slice)--I make kids pb&j with this.
11) Smuckers - all natural creamy peanut butter--I make the kids pb&j with this.
12) Smuckers - low sugar concord grape jelly--I make the kids pb&j with this.
13) low carb tortillas - La Tortilla Factory are always safe with the carb count, however some new ones have popped up on the market which are very good--be careful, however, of the net carb count. Some of the manufacturers are changing recipes on the LC stuff and making the net carbs skyrocket
14) Splenda in the bag, the box, and the packets. I don't use sugar at home any more.
15) Atkins Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Mix - with an extra cup of splenda, an extra egg, and a cup of flaxmeal, makes a very moist and tasty lemon cake. Add unsweetened Baker's Chocolate to change to lemon chocolate cake.
16) Atkins Morning Start Apple Crisp Bars - sweetened mostly with glycerine tend to be less stalling or gassy for me.
17) Hood Carb Countdown Yogurt - THIS is the perfect lc yogurt. Dannon LC yogurt - tastes great but small portions.
18) Various LC Chocolate - Russell Stover Sugar Free Chocolate - even in chocolate easter bunnies and chocolate eggs. Carb Watchers Gourmet Sugar-Free chocolates--decadently creamy. Carbolite Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup & faux M&M's and peanut M&M's and their sister product At Last fortified with vitamins. Atkins Endulge Caramel Nut Chew.
19) Baskin Robbins Sugar Free Hard Candy - mint chocolate chip is very good.
20) Regular but low carb snacks - Giant Slim Jim's, David Sunflower Seeds in the shell, Sunkist Dry Roasted Almonds, Hula Princess Macadamia nuts, various brands of pork rinds.
21) The plethora of Low Carb ice cream out there - Blue Bunny has a new low carb line with double strawberry, vanilla bean, and chocolate almond fudge which are all very good. The Atkins Endulge ice cream is wonderful and made with high quality ingredients. We also like the Breyers LC ice cream, but it is a little higher in net carbs. I keep looking for the Ben and Jerry's Carb Karma but have yet to find it.
22) Instant Gourmet low carb soups - very good and very clean ingredients.
23) CarbORite cereal bars - taste very good -- blueberry, strawberry, and cinnamon (but warning - lots of maltitol and low on vitamins). It's a good cookie craving substitute.
24) Land O Lakes - half and half in individual containers. Do not need to refrigerate, so great for travelling.
25) Salad Dressings & Mayonnaise - my goodness there are so many regular dressings with 1 carb per serving. One of my favorites is Wal-Mart's Great Value Caesar Dressing. Mustard mixed with a 1 carb Ranch makes a very good lc veggie dip. Litehouse carries a line of great salad dressing where even the bleu cheese is 1 gram of carbs per serving.
26) Franks Red Hot sauce.
27) San Antonio Farms - Thick and Chunky Salsa (Sam's Club) 1 gram net carb per tbsp and clean ingredients. Just about any brand of non-sweet pickles and olives out there.
28) Sadaf Pure Grapeseed oil & Spectrum Naturals grapeseed oil cooking spray. If you have virgin olive oil and grapeseed oil in your kitchen, you can cook anything. Grapeseed oil is THE BEST cooking, stirfry, and baking oil I have ever ever ever used.
29) Curry Flavored Pumpkorn - intensely flavorful and nutritious. Roasted pumpkin seeds are awesome. You can also buy them a little cheaper in bulk at a natural foods store.
30) Rudi's Organic Whole Grain Bread. Food for life also makes a decent LC bread. The Atkins bread mixes aren't too bad.. I amplify with an egg.
31) Diet Rite & Fruit2Oh - soft drinks sweetened with Splenda.
32) Sugar Free Jello and Diet Code Red Mt. Dew--although not sweetened with Splenda, still make a tasty lc treat now and then.
33) Hormel real bacon crumbles & pepperoni - wonderful salad toppings
34) Fresh Express Garden Salad - lasts the longest in the refrigerator--carrots are negligible and add a little extra vitamins. Organic Farms, I think that's the brand, bags up good leaf spinach that is hydrowashed and also lasts for a while in the refrigerator.
35) Oscar Meyer All Beef Franks - one gram of carbs per wiener
36) Smithfield Quik-to-Fix (frozen) Beef Patties - no bad stuff in there, and wonderful quick hamburgers. Jimmy Dean Regular Fresh Pork Sausage (no msg or nitrates), frozen links, and Country Cousin frozen sausage patties are good, too.
37) El Monterey - frozen guacamole
38) Michael Angelo's - pepperoni and cheese lc version of hot-pockets
39) Tone's Seasonings and bouillon cubes. Check the carb counts.
40) The Spice Hunter Seasonings - Curry (outstanding)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 18:46

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Low-carb "milk"

I was at Trader Joe's yesterday and noticed they were selling a brand of LC "milk." So I thought I'd give it a try. But when I looked at the list of ingredients, I put it back on the shelf in horror. I'm trying to get away from all those additives (read "processed foods"). I think I'll stick with my cream and half 'n' half.