Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 11:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I always remember a doctor telling my mother to cut out the cheese and then a month or two later, I saw her shoulders while she was changing one day and I was horrified. Lowering her protein and fat had terrible results. I know she was aging but still, it was like a withering effect. Not just fat but tissue and muscle all gone around her shoulders bones.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 11:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Adding, received this email from Dr. Perlmutter yesterday:

Quote:
By now I’m sure you’ve seen that I’m hosting a brand new documentary series called Alzheimer’s - The Science of Prevention.

These past 2 weeks we’ve had such an overwhelming response to the World Premiere of this groundbreaking series that we’ve decided to make ALL 12 episodes available for FREE for this entire weekend!

Join us for a FULL SERIES replay all weekend long from 12:00 noon Friday, August 2nd – Sunday, 4th at 11:59 PM!

Tune in this replay weekend to discover:

The best and worst foods for your brain health
The science behind the perfect night’s sleep, and how to achieve this each and every night
Easy to use stress reducing techniques to protect your brain and improve your quality of life
Simple, practical ways to make brain-healthy exercise part of your life
How one over the counter drug is associated with an increased risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease
And more!
Click here to join us for the Replay Weekend of Alzheimer’s - The Science of Prevention!
Watch Now!
https://scienceofprevention.com/rep...0223 e68310bb1

#18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 11:56

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
They are a good starting point though.

It's hard for a keto calculator to judge your personal metabolism and activity level.

The keto calculator I found (sorry, I didn't bookmark it) is perfect for both myself and my DW.

Bob

You've found something that works and that's great. My thought was of people (especially women in my experience) coming from a background of low-calorie-counting diets from magazines or websites, believing they have to white-knuckle their way through hunger to be on plan (until it forces them to quit). Keto shouldn't be this way. If anyone tries some keto plan but is hungry or feeling deficient in protein, etc., please don't just keep pushing your way through; adapt the amounts to your needs. On keto you shouldn't be going hungry from uncomfortably few calories in order to lose weight.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 12:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
You've found something that works and that's great. My thought was of people (especially women in my experience) coming from a background of low-calorie-counting diets from magazines or websites, believing they have to white-knuckle their way through hunger to be on plan (until it forces them to quit). Keto shouldn't be this way. If anyone tries some keto plan but is hungry or feeling deficient in protein, etc., please don't just keep pushing your way through; adapt the amounts to your needs. On keto you shouldn't be going hungry from uncomfortably few calories in order to lose weight.

Because I'm doing this to regulate my blood sugar as well as lose weight, I'm OK with dealing with some hunger. What I've discovered is that it's more the fat than anything else that helps with the hunger. When I feel really hungry, it's usually because I haven't had enough fat. Even tho my carbs were low (20g) in the past, I ate a ton of protein - mostly meat. I craved meat. But now that I'm eating between 60-70g of protein, I'm not craving the meat at all - it's wonderful! And both blood sugar & weight are going down.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 12:26

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I always remember a doctor telling my mother to cut out the cheese and then a month or two later, I saw her shoulders while she was changing one day and I was horrified. Lowering her protein and fat had terrible results. I know she was aging but still, it was like a withering effect. Not just fat but tissue and muscle all gone around her shoulders bones.

My sister has been a lifelong vegetarian. Her diet consists of carbs (bakery goods, potato chips, flour tortillas) with an occasional egg or fat-free cheese. Her body is a mess. She can barely walk, has no strength, no muscle tone, just flab. She’s tired all the time. It’s sad. But her mind is still sharp, I have to say. She is 81.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 19:52

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Unfortunately, I have to count calories along with carbs, fat and protein. But 2k is pretty generous, and I don't often top that, depending on what I eat, I'm just not that hungry.

And I walk 3-4 miles at least 3 days a week and sometimes 6. On work days I don't walk, but it's physical so I still get exercise.

Some of us are luckier than others I guess. But we all have to do what works for us.

Bob
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 23:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212.5/156.5/160 Female 5’6”
BF:
Progress: 107%

Ditto on the not counting calories thing. I’ve found it really takes the crazy out of food for me. Would never have considered such an approach prior to low carb. What freedom!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-19, 07:26

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaQ
Ditto on the not counting calories thing. I’ve found it really takes the crazy out of food for me. Would never have considered such an approach prior to low carb. What freedom!

I'm Jealous