Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 20:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 101/98/90 Female 59 inches
BF:?/22%/18%
Progress: 27%
Default recommendations for a scale body/fat analyzer

The scale told me I was very close to my college weight but I just knew I didn't look like my college self. Just on a lark I placed some weights on my bathroom scale and found that it is about 1 - 4 lbs off. It is about 20 years old so it is time for a new scale.

Do the ones that read the body fat percentage really work? How do they work?

Any tips for checking that the scale is working correctly, besides just placing weights on it from time to time?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-05, 23:39

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

You might find this site of interest. They make BF% scales http://www.tanita.com/IndexUS.shtml

Here's how they work:
http://www.tanita.com/HowBIAworks.shtml

The only way I've found to check is to go to a Dr. office and go directly home and check again
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I got a Tanita digital for fathers day. It is very good but I don't use the body fat % stuff. My old scale was off by 8 pounds!

Most folks are disapointed with the accuracy of the body fat % from any scales.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 01:18

Plan: My Own
Stats: 166/128/126 Female 66 inches
BF:30%/22/20%
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn
I got a Tanita digital for fathers day. It is very good but I don't use the body fat % stuff. My old scale was off by 8 pounds!

Most folks are disapointed with the accuracy of the body fat % from any scales.

I have a Tanita BC532.

I can see why people would think the body fat calculation was highly inaccurate. It bugged me to begin with.

The scales are VERY dependent on getting an accurate water content reading. If you weigh in the morning you are dehydrated, as the day goes on more and more hydrated. If you are salt-sensitive, like me, it's an even bigger problem.

In addition water and food just eaten (or about to depart if you know what I mean) counts as weight but not fluid and can also skew the figures.

So as recommended by Tanita late in the day before your main meal is the most accurate time to weigh.

I like to know EXACTLY what's going on in my body, having just come off a load of meds for long term health problems. I'm of the view that I'm the one that takes responsibilty for my health, so for a while I'm putting in a lot of effort and I weigh twice a day. But that's just me - it helps me know how I'm responding to sodium etc..

Morning weights are lower than evening weights but evening weighings are more consistent when comparing one day or week to the next. I know a lot of people will say don't weigh more than once a week but I feel it gives a better feel for which figures I can trust and which might be affected by water.

If you decide to get a body fat scale, get one with water% on it as this will help you weed out any inaccuracies, ie high water will show an innacurate lower fat%.

Hope this helps a little. And I do love my sclaes - it's just a question of understanding how they work and knowing their limitation.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 02:30
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

I agree with Gay, only want to add that to solve the water% problem I drink a lot on the afternoon and don't drink or eat one hour before weighing (when coming home from work). This way I hope to achieve to be always maximal hydrated for consistency.

These day's I don't weigh anymore every day, but in the beginning I did. I just wanted to be sure to move in the right direction. I plotted a 7 or 10 day moving average of the numbers, so you get in the graph a much better view by ruling out any daily differences.