Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-19, 09:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Book: ARTHRITIS - The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me

This isn't brand-new, but it is new to me:

ARTHRITIS - The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me: Healing The Pain Of Psoriatic And Rheumatoid Arthritis And How Autoimmunity Can Heal Your Body And Soul by Phil Escott (Author), Dr. Jack Kruse (Foreword)

Ah, if it's Dr. Jack (Madman) Kruse, it's got to be good! (I am a big fan.)

I am almost done with this book and I'm impressed. He did a lot of things which I am going to try, since I am dealing with my own autoimmunity issue, but the BIG one was Very Low Carb. As he says, if you don't get that right, nothing goes right.

I heard him on the Episode 23 of Carnivore Cast and his story was so compelling and pertinent I was moved to action. He went from barely able to sleep or walk to what he calls "the best shape of my life." He was a writer for outdoor magazines, a determined mountain biker, and had his own gym at one time.

Thanks to the book, I am on day 3 of a fast (breaking it tomorrow) to try and get a terrible "flare" under control. And it is improving! I am so grateful.

My own fault: a terrible bout of flu felled both myself and DH, and the malaise lasted months. So we were eating out (Omega 6) and I was indulging in frozen meals (carb city) and thought I was okay because I wasn't gaining any weight (probably thanks to the fact that I kept IFing).

But as we all know, you can be "normal" weight and carbs are still having their terrible way with you. Add in a long workday with travel, a glass of cider with a too-carby dinner, and my own serious stress issues: and it was the last straw.

He has scared me straight and I am implementing as many of his techniques as I feel suitable to my situation. He tried so many things

A fine read and full of amazing and valuable information as he told his story.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Jan-11-19 at 11:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-19, 10:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, I hadn't heard of this book, either. I have family members who may benefit, and identifying a protocol and methodology for relief without being dependent on doctors is a big advantage. Checking it out now . . .
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-19, 13:28

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thanks, just ordered it. I always feel best when on a carnivore WOE, or after fasting. Seems eating other stuff provokes an inflammatory response.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-19, 16:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Thanks, just ordered it. I always feel best when on a carnivore WOE, or after fasting. Seems eating other stuff provokes an inflammatory response.

I will break my fast tomorrow, and will be resuming things very slowly. I will be looking out for signs of inflammation.

Let us know what you think.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 09:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

THanks for bringing this book to our attention.

It is the kick in the pants that I needed. As in my family we have fallen back into the ways of bread, pasta and all the related foods. Just easier to go with SAD is my only excuse.

Previously I had read or listen to pod casts that also support VLC as the way to improve and probably prevent the meriad of health problems that plague our society.

I beleive that it is DIET that is driving thee ill, and hence is the cue. Yet all I hear is bickering about how to reduce health care costs by tackling the extreme high prices that the US consumers pay compared to other countries with negotiated costs.

How much easier could this cost control be than to change our way of eating. What if 50 % of the people in just the US no longer needed type 2 diabetes medications of any kind? Heard yesterday on the NPR broadcast of a new program that will look at food/ carbs as an option-- well it is about time!! The trailer spoke of the recent rise in insulin costs. I cant imagine the actual price as I bought a 10 ml vial some years ago for a cat for $100. That was a wake up call that cat food built on cereal grains is NOT healthy food for a cat. Grains have infiltrated all areas of our lives....

Thanks Wearbear for the title. WIll try to find it.... and find my way back to vlc.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 09:52

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I work in a fitness facility and we've had arthritic people who've gone from installing chair lifts to complete recovered mobility just through diet and exercise. Like, a lot of people. You just have to want it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 10:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

How much easier could this cost control be than to change our way of eating. What if 50 % of the people in just the US no longer needed type 2 diabetes medications of any kind?

This is a key point that underlies all the political posturing and arguments regarding health in our world today. The medical system is structured to accept this "lifelong disease" by the standard protocols of medication, ill-advised dietary recommendations that lead directly to requiring insulin at some point due to the fact that the metabolism is broken, and then putting faith in those who are clueless and part of the medi/pharma machine to support this highly expensive approach until the afficted's death. Arthritis is a component of this broken metabolism with uncontrolled inflammation running rampant. Imagine how much better people's lives would be and how much larger pocketbooks would be by embracing the realization that these symptoms and diseases can be managed by lifestyle changes.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 10:28

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

As my weight no longer embarrasses or even bothers me on a daily basis, I find it is the damage that carbs do to my body that keeps me coming back to low carb. And arthritis leads the list. My sister, 3 years older than I and always very thin and in shape, has hands that are becoming gnarled by her arthritis. I have found that iodine, magnesium, vitamin D, k2 (Mk4), and of course, very low carb keep my arthritis at bay. I've mentioned all this to her, but I'm just one of her two formerly obese whack job sisters who've found low carb and supplements cure most of our medical problems.

I will buy this book because I'm wondering what else I could be doing. Thank you for posting.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 13:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I will buy this book because I'm wondering what else I could be doing. Thank you for posting.

All of you are welcome.

Going gluten free did a lot to turn down the pain meter on my own arthritis, but finding out there is gout in my family led to to trying some black cherry supplements: and it got better!

Another strategy that might help everyone is getting the kind of dry gelatin which you can stir into any beverage. I use Great Lakes Gelatin (Pasture-Raised Grass-Fed, Collagen Hydrolysate) and really like it.

It might not be true for everyone, but the book talks about Omega 6 seed oils, and I know I'm sensitive to that. So out go ALL the store-bought dressings: I'll have to make my own.

Of course inflammation is key. And carbs are what lights the match.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 13:04

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I'm about halfway through the book and it is ringing true on so many counts. So much of it is already what we know: fasting, keto, listen to your body.

Who has tried the liver flushing?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 14:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Who has tried the liver flushing?

LOL. I'd heard about it, but never tried it.

One thing that was not in the book, but that I have found invaluable in my case, is Quercetin.

Quote:
With Quercetin being a powerful flavonoid, there is a wide range of health benefits, including its ability to reduce inflammation, eliminate pain, protect against cardiovascular diseases, act as an anti-cancer, boost the immune system, reduce histamines, and decrease irritation of the skin.

My last big flare I used it and it got me better faster, I swear. But like a fool, I stopped taking it. Might go in the toolchest permanently.

Last edited by WereBear : Mon, Jan-14-19 at 11:47.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-19, 10:43

BF:

Quote:
I use Great Lakes Gelatin (Pasture-Raised Grass-Fed, Collagen Hydrolysate) and really like it.
Believe it or not, I already take this! I take two heaping tablespoons a day. I can tell when I've skipped a few days because I get a familiar pain in my left hand.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-19, 11:18

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I had bought Great Lakes Gelatin thinking that it was made locally, Then I wondered where it is made because although it says Great Lakes it didn't say made in USA.

So I called and found out it was made in Brazil.

I called during the time the Olympics were going on in Brazil where they were showing pics of the bay full of sewage and describing that locally there is a complete lack of sanitation.

"Despite decades of official pledges to clean up the mess, the stench of raw sewage still greets travelers touching down at Rio's international airport. Prime beaches are deserted because the surf is thick with putrid sludge, and periodic die-offs leave the Olympic lake, Rodrigo de Freitas, littered with rotting fish."

"The tests so far show that Rio's waters "are chronically contaminated," he said. "The quantity of fecal matter entering the waterbodies in Brazil is extremely high. Unfortunately, we have levels comparable to some African nations, to India."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brazil...ith-raw-sewage/

They told me that the gelatin is rendered by boiling the hide of the cattle.
I read more about this and found out that there is no clean water there because of the total lack of sewage treatment in Brazil.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-19, 11:51

BF:

True! According to their website:

Quote:
Great Lakes Gelatin’s collagen and gelatin products are sourced from cattle in Argentina and Brazil. They are pasture-raised and grass-fed based on the standards of the American Grassfed Association and animal welfare guidelines. Being forage based eliminates the potential use of growth hormones, antibiotics, and steroids, which follows the Food and Agricultural Legislation in Argentina and Brazil.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-19, 13:09

BF:

Well, that's somewhat upsetting, Meme. It clearly is helping me, but what you've posted is just gross.