Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:43

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Cool New (My Story)

Hello everyone! I have been lurking here for a week or so and everyone is wonderful! Here is my story! A few years ago (2/00), I started my weight loss quest.... I was coming in at 170 and on my small frame, it was taking a toll on me. I did Atkins a few times, could never stay on it (summer came, vacations, etc) but then found out I had severe gall bladdar damage, after that surgery... I modified to the old "low fat, high carb plan"... which of course didnt help either. I then went on ephedra. Lost close to 60 lbs, TINY girl... then ended up after 7 months in the ER, almost dead. The ephedra had taken a huge toll on my ticker. I then miscarried 4 months later (thanks ephedra), and ended up in the hospital with a terrible infection for 2 weeks. Over the next several months, I gained 35 lbs. It was terrible! This year, I have taken a new approach. I don't have too far to go to reach my goal. I workout for close to 2 hours a day including cardio and weight training. I wear a 4-6 depending on designer, I am almost where I want to be. I cut out most of my bad carbs months ago... I don't do potatoes, pasta, rice, etc... I was sticking to around 50 carbs a day, high protein and lower fat... I have been on a darn plateau for MONTHS! Atkins never worked for me because I would "go off" and gain the weight back... I was a carb addict. I decided to go for it again, since I am NOT a carb addict and once I go off induction, I won't be adding many carbs into my routine, so the weight should stay off. I do have a big problem with Atkins though since it is SO restrictive on carbs, it is very hard to keep my fat intake down... I have been doing the turkey bacon, and LF everything, but still having a tough time.... So maybe I should try another plan? I am in dark purple ketosis and have been for a week... Since I don't have too much weight to lose, it will take longer and that is fine... but I don't like eating all of this fat! I have also been dabbling in all the LC products out there... they were not there when I did Atkins in the past (and thank God most of them werent, most of that stuff is NASTY!)... So, there is my story! I hope that with the great support here, I can get these last 10 lbs or so OFF! Thanks for having me
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 13:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi!

Just out of curiosity, if you're doing Atkins, why are you trying to keep your fat intake down? Purely curious.

I've had post-ephedra heart issues, too. It's no fun. You really need to watch your ticker. Working out for two hours a day is... worrisome.

Have you considered less drastic eating programs like Protein Power or Schwarzbein? They're way easier to stick to, so the scale isn't bouncing around all the time. "Plateaus" happen to people who still have a lot of weight to lose. Once you're within your ideal weight range (for HEALTH, not for looking like Kate Moss) a "plateau" pretty much means your body is at its optimum weight. It sucks, but 'where you want to be' and 'where your body is healthy' are often two different things.

I vote "thumbs down" on most low carb products. Eat real food.

Anyway, stick around, we're glad to have you! Low-carbing is a good, long-term, healthy way of eating.

Be well...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 13:24

BF:
Default Lower fat

The main reason I am watching my fat is just because it makes me sick!! If I can have turkey bacon over pork bacon, or light sour cream, light cream cheese, etc... I physically feel better. I guess that is why I said "modified Atkins" because I cannot tolerate the higher fat, especially saturated fats... As for my workouts, I am usually at many times of the year training, I try to run in a couple of marathons a year. I run for a little over an hour and then I do weight training as well... it sounds excessive, but it really isnt. I have no desire to look like Kate Moss, and never will... I have some extra fat hanging around and my doctor wants me to get down to 120, I would personally like 118, but that is neither here nor there... I would like another 10 pounds to be gone... I have tried the Suzanne Somers plan years ago... I may look into her new plan. I like the Zone, but it really has too many carbs for me to lose on.... I do like most of the concepts of Atkins and it is pretty easy for me to stick with... but if there is a plan that may be healthier, I would prefer that... I love the idea of low carb, but cannot grasp the concept of 70% fat.... ouch. As for the low carb products... I am just doing the muffins to have a nice mix for breakfast, and every so often I have a bit of chocolate.... but that is it. I bought several items to take on vacation, knowing that there would be junk everywhere... most of the products ended up in the garbage. How can they sell that stuff??? LOL! I have been doing lower carbs (well, less than 60g) for a while now and if I had to eat that stuff all the time, well... blech!!! LOL!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 13:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

>>"The main reason I am watching my fat is..."

Ah, I hear you. Greasy fried eggs are the worst. I cook 'em in a non-stick pan.

...so you're a marathon runner. Things make more sense now. Wow, you'd probably have lots of info to share over in the exercise forum!

I should have specified low carb *bars* in my last post. I think the bake mixes are okay, from what other people have said. But the bars? *gag* And all the sugar alcohols give me gas like you wouldn't believe!!

Good luck in your tweaking to getting things how you want them.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 14:14

BF:
Default Kristine

Thank you so much for your posts!! Ooh, the greasy eggs! OUCH! I have switched over to egg beaters lately... and yes, the Pam works wonders!!! The bars, and most everything... ick, I do like the EAS Carb Advantage cookies and cream bars, they work in a pinch. I love protein and usually cannot get enough, but i like it in the pure forms!! LOVE BEEF! Those bars are okay, but I do like the real thing. I like their shakes too... but do them more for snacks than real meals. I wouldnt say I am a Marathon Runner... I am a wannabe! LOL! I do it for fun, not to win.... I am not disciplined enough to train like I would need to. Plus, I love my weekend cocktails.. LOL! The sugar alcohols have never bothered me... but I try to watch them. They usually don't knock me out of ketosis... but watch out for that nice laxative effect! LOL! It is nice to shake things up with variety every so often.... I am hoping I will get alot of fun ideas here! Thanks again for the welcome