Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-20, 16:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Hospitals are being very strict about visitors, even for such situations as a woman giving birth. And, if one can't have visitors, that makes it impossible to rely on someone bringing food in. Yeah... just stay out of hospital!
Yes indeed. When my three grandkids were born my son, myself, and her parents all took turns bringing all her meals to the hospital because the food there was just so awful. But hospitals now are all in lockdown. If a woman has to go to one to give birth even her spouse or partner is not allowed to accompany her. She has to go in alone. Luckily, for a normal healthy birth, you are not there that long and she could probably bring a cooler with her. But I feel badly for anyone who has a longer stay. I don;t know what I would do right now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-20, 16:52

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
This is the same fare given out at food pantries. The already limited meats and veggies has taken a dive, and only 5O% at best of usual. Lots of sugar cereal, cheese nips, canned fruit......all contributes to poor health, not good health, sadly.....
I love to shop at the Dollar Tree, not for food but they have lots of other fun things.

But I've occasionally looked at their food and just as a thought experiment tried to see if I could possibly survive on food from there if I had a very limited income, and felt I could probably do it for some $20-25/week. Maybe not perfect food, no organic, no grass-fed. But you could definitely remain LCHF.

I mean they have eggs for 99 cents. Get two dozen eggs! $2
1 stick of butter (or was it two?) $1
5 cans of tuna - $5
2 packs breakfast sausages $2
sliced American cheese, 8 slices I think? $1
6 cans of green beans $6
1 small jar of mayo $1
If you were not LC I might throw in box of oatmeal $1
a liter of WHOLE milk $1

If staying LC instead of the oatmeal I might throw in a few small packages of mixed nuts $3
If they feel fruit MUST be included I'd add two small cans of crushed pineapple packed in water. $2

If you got ALL of that including the nuts and the oatmeal both it's still just $25 and would be enough to sustain me for a week. Yeah I understand shelf-stable but these things are mostly shelf-stable anyway. If they can include milk in people's boxes then why not eggs and butter and cheese also?
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-20, 17:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I love to shop at the Dollar Tree, not for food but they have lots of other fun things.

But I've occasionally looked at their food and just as a thought experiment tried to see if I could possibly survive on food from there if I had a very limited income, and felt I could probably do it for some $20-25/week. Maybe not perfect food, no organic, no grass-fed. But you could definitely remain LCHF.

I mean they have eggs for 99 cents. Get two dozen eggs! $2
1 stick of butter (or was it two?) $1
5 cans of tuna - $5
2 packs breakfast sausages $2
sliced American cheese, 8 slices I think? $1
6 cans of green beans $6
1 small jar of mayo $1
If you were not LC I might throw in box of oatmeal $1
a liter of WHOLE milk $1

If staying LC instead of the oatmeal I might throw in a few small packages of mixed nuts $3
If they feel fruit MUST be included I'd add two small cans of crushed pineapple packed in water. $2

If you got ALL of that including the nuts and the oatmeal both it's still just $25 and would be enough to sustain me for a week. Yeah I understand shelf-stable but these things are mostly shelf-stable anyway. If they can include milk in people's boxes then why not eggs and butter and cheese also?

Definitely better than some of the food pantry fare. Im envious! Our local Dollar Tree has no eggs, no milk.

I really do work hard at real food. Pre-lock down I could choose the food items at the Pantry. Skipped the cereals and junk. Focused on canned meats, canned fruit for kids, and got a full grocery paper bag of meats, frozen vegies, and fruit. Skipped the American cheese. Sometimes a milk for the kids.

Think I will skip pantry during the lock down...
... that stuff will kill me. Better to eat down tge freezer and look for meats on sale. Found 10# bag of chix tenders for $20. Son made fried chicken in rendered beef fat. Not organic , but his lc version was yummy.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-20, 19:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Think I will skip pantry during the lock down...

Me too. Lock down should be over by next month's senior boxes, but I might skip the weekly outdoor food bank. It's a great place for veggies & fruit, but I don't have a lot of patience for standing in line. But last Friday was a bad day - neighbor's dog killed one of our hens - so I didn't have much tolerance for anything.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-20, 19:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Me too. Lock down should be over by next month's senior boxes, but I might skip the weekly outdoor food bank. It's a great place for veggies & fruit, but I don't have a lot of patience for standing in line. But last Friday was a bad day - neighbor's dog killed one of our hens - so I didn't have much tolerance for anything.

Sorry about the hen. Racoon got my favorite rooster last week.... he stopped roosting in the rafters. I dont know why he moved. So ya, understand. Trap is waiting for that 'coonie!

I am eager to increase my hen count. A few birds can disappear in a heatbeat. I hear the warning call for "hawk" these days. sigh.

Our food pantries are : waiting in a line in our cars. I used to arrive early for first shot at veggies then wait to be last, taking all the vegies no one wanted. I was able to wait last week after boxes put in car to get all the second hand veggies leftover.A small box:

Broccalli, summer squash, beets!!, iffy tomatoes, turnip....greatful for fresh as initial boxes full of spagettios, crackers and the like. All things I leave for others, lol.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-20, 20:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I buy my pork rinds at Dollar Tree. Last time I was there I also found jars of the most wonderful asparagus and bought 4, big jars of pimento which were 1/3 the price of the grocery store and twice the size, sliced mushrooms in big jars. Great finds there.