Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 06:54

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: Thursday, March 11

Rise and shine!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 06:56

BF:

Good morning! Here it is after 8:00 EST and no one has started the thread. Wake up, Renee! Time to get moving!

Well, if you read my post from last night, I'm going to begin replicating my menus from when I was down around 155. Yup, snot for breakfast! I'm on my second cup of coffee, just trying to get my courage up!

#3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:17
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good Morning!

Hello everyone.. it's a sunny day here in atlanta.. not sure what the temp is..but sun is sun.. and makes everything else seem allright!

Here is a yummy recipe that Happygirl shared with me. I had them for breakfast and I only used a tsp of butter on mine, and it was delicious. Oh, and the brand that I found at walmart was called Mission, and found them on a different endcap over in the deli section all by themselves! I am enjoying the wheat ones, and they only have 5 NET carbs.($2.18 pkg)

Sopapilla's

1 Low Carb Soft Tortilla/fajita shell
Skillet with 1 inch of hot oil
1 tablespoon butter
cinnamon and splenda to taste

Place the tortilla in the oil for a moment and when it bubbles up turn and cook for another moment on other side. One done...drain oil and place on plate...Put tbsp of butter on top...move it around so that it melts all over the top...Then sprinkle the cinnamon/splenda mixture on top.

I used a good bit of cinnamon so that I wouldn't have the after taste of the splenda. These were so great...I can't wait to have more tomorrow. I used the low carb shells from wal-mart (Name-Mama Lupe's, cost 2.24/pk).

I named these Sopapilla's because thats what my friend said they taste like and I have never tried them. To me they tasted like a really good piece of cinnamon toast but better.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:28

BF:

Gee, Dawn. That sure sounds better than my breakfast! Actually, mine wasn't that bad. I little chunky, but not bad. I posted in the General Low-Carb forum about it. I think maybe I nuked it too long. I mixed 3 Tbsp ground flaxseeds and 1/4 cup water and a little salt and nuked it for about 40 seconds. Then I added 1/4 cup heavy cream. I think maybe next time I'll mix the seeds with BOTH the water and milk before nuking. It will probably be a little smoother texture then. Oh, and I drizzled SF maple syrup over it.

Come to think of it, it was actually pretty darn good! Hmmmmm.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:29

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Sorry I haven't been around much - I have been doing a lot of moderating a BB for a 12-step program. Two of the moderators are sisters and they lost their mother this week.

Dawn, thanks for the tip re: the tortillas - I have to brave Wally-World today ::: shutters in horror ::: Our Wally-World is more like a war zone than a grocery store

My menu was OK yesterday - a bit higher than I like on calories and a bit low on fiber. I am also having trouble remembering to drink enough.

Started watching my calorie per pound intake several weeks ago to try to drop 5 lbs or so by about March 15 - began at 177lbs. Weight today is at 172.5. Calories per pound 1733 / 173 = 10 (aiming for around 8 to 9.5). Only half a pound left to goal - get ready to happy dance folks.

Total calories: 1733
Fat: 118 gms 1060 cal 63%
Sat: 45 gms 407 cal 24%
Poly: 28 gms 251 cal 15%
Mono: 35 gms 313 cal 18%
Carbs: 43 gms 127 cal 8% ECC: 32 gms
Fiber: 11 gms 0 cal 0%
Protein: 127 gms 507 cal 30%

Breakfast:
4 egg-beater omelet with 2 ozs lean ham and 1 oz cheddar
Breakfast drink - 8 ozs water, 1 envelope sf gelatine, 1 scoop sf orange citrucel
30 ozs coffee (regular, brewed)

Lunch:
1.5 cup spinach salad

Dinner:
10 ozs chicken liver - lightly floured and fried in butter
1 cup LC mixed veggies - steamed - lightly buttered
1 cup beets

About 60 ozs water & 30 ozs coffee
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:38
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orang
get ready to happy dance folks.

#7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 09:12

BF:

I love the dancing granny

Bawdy,
I make the cereal with all the moist ingredients in before nuking. It is still slimy, but taste great.

BTW, I made a couple of dozen of the flax seed 'brownies' for a church dinner last night - they were a big hit with everyone - even the non-dieting folk.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 09:22

BF:

Flaxseed brownies? Do I have the recipe for that?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:06

BF:

Bawdy,
I made these a few weeks ago for a hiking snack and shared the recipe - here it is again:

This is a modification of the Dobie muffin recipe. They were OK warm, but fantastic cooled - tasted like a brownie.

1/4 cup flaxseeds (I measured before grinding)
1/4 cup pecan meal (I imagine any nut meal would work - I just had pecan on hand)
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 TB baking powder
1 egg
2 TB oil
1 TB vanilla extract
1/2 cup water (what recipe called for - I had to add a little to get consistency of batter right for muffins)
For sweetener: recipe calls for 1/4 cup Splenda -- I used liquid sweet 'n low and just added it until the batter tasted right (us granny types are bad about not measuring things)

Cook at 350 F (177 C) for about 25 minites (preheating is important for this recipe). I filled the muffin cups full and could barely get all the batter in a normal 6 muffin pan.

Stats for a single muffin
Calories: 165
Fat: 12 gms
Carbs: 10 gms total - 4 gms are fiber so ECC: 6gms
Protein: 7 gms
Alcohol: 1 gms (the vanilla flavoring)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:30

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi all!

I am still trying to eat induction, but no luck as yet, Do you think that I should watch calories also with this??? I have NEVER been able to beat the sweet cravings, this morning was terrible!!! BUT I did not give in and have something! I wanted to save the sf jello for later on!

Renee, the brownie recipe sounds good, but I better not even go there right now! It is bad enough to stall, but to gain a few pounds and THEN stall?? BTW, to your continuing loss!!

Bawdy, that is rather smart that you had a journel, I hope that going back to what you had eaten then will grant you another visit from the woosh fairy!! (even if you have to eat snot!)

Dawn, cute granny! the cinnamin sopapillas sound good, the only thing missing is the honey that you traditionally put on it! (I guess that you could use sf syrup??)

A BIG HELLO to Elaine!! is everything falling into place for your surgery? Are you done donating now??

Ellie, HOPE YOU ARE HAVING FUN!!!!

A HELLO to everyone else here as well! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:15

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Well, hello to this chatty bunch

Orang, way to go, girlfriend!!!

Dawn, that recipe sounds great!! And Orang, I think you have provided me with dessert for this weekend

Lissette, I have to donate one more time, next Wed. Tomorrow I go for my pre-op with my doc and then do the preadmission testing next Wed. I can't believe it's a week and a half away! (I will try to get my sister to log on when she gets up here to let you know how I am doing. )

This morning I had 1 1/2 Thomas LC whole wheat bagels with a mixture of natural peanut butter mixed with cream cheese(read about doing this somewhere) MAN did that hold me!!!!! Thats 511 cals between AM and Noon , 54% fat, 27 ECC carbs and 28 grams of protein. Lunch is some stir fried chicken with broccoli and almonds (homemade).

Who had to make a speach, ac? Did it go ok or are you yet to do it?

Bawdy, had a funny dream last night, you were in it-I wanted your lipliner. Don't ask.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewinpa
Bawdy, had a funny dream last night, you were in it-I wanted your lipliner. Don't ask.

Are you kidding me!?!?!?!?!? Now you HAVE to tell me. PM me if you must!

Renee, thanks again for the recipe. As soon as I saw it I realized I had copied it down the first time you posted it. Thanks for accommodating a scatterbrain!

There's a good thread going on the flaxseeds on the General Low-Carb forum. You'll recognize it when you see it. There's a link to lots of recipes for flax. Renee, I'd like to hear your opinion about not boiling the flaxseeds.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 12:51

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Bawdy, I have absolutely NO idea of what I was dreaming about but it was this great rosy brown shade of liner I think you were in a car? Maybe because you got a new car, except the one in the dream was a convertible. I was watching "Thelma and Louise" the othjer night and I think it was that car.
I have NO idea where this thought train is going, heehee.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Thursday

I AM SO FRUSTRATED !!!!!!!!!! I really don't know WHAT else to do to make this WOE work for me! I was so fed up that I found myself on eBay awhile ago looking for Ephedra!!!! I have never used the stuff, but that's about how desperate I've gotten !
I am currently at the exact weight I was 4 months ago when I started this!
The only reason I've stayed with it is that I DO FEEL better on it, BUT I HAVE GOT TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT!!!! Just absolutely at a complete loss right now.......................GGRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr KAT
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:47

BF:

Calm down, Kat. Take a few deep breaths.

Now take a few moments and think about the following and then answer/respond to each one:
  • Do you use Fitday? If not, please do so that you can track trends over time. Depending on your answer, I'll have more to add later.
  • Do you exercise? If so, tell us the exact activity, duration, level of exertion, and frequency per week.
  • Are you on any medications?
  • Do you take any supplements like herbs or potassium or calcium or whatever?
  • Give us your menu from yesterday, complete with amounts of each food. If you don't use Fitday, I'll enter your menu into my version and give you back your numbers.
OK. Think about this for a bit. Don't give up, and don't panic. This is exactly what we're here for. We've all been in the same state of mind you're in right now, and we've all been talked out of it by our friends here.

I'll be watching for your post.