Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/190/150 Female 5 foot 6 inch
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Zero net carb day

I have seen some individuals post on days they have zero net carbs eaten on a given day. What do you eat on days like that? I literally can't imagine getting that low!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 15:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Eat Meat. Drink Water.
If you want to know the basic premise of the zero carbers, here's a good website: https://zerocarbzen.com
You can also fast, zero everything.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/190/150 Female 5 foot 6 inch
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thanks! I've read about fat fasts, but I never saw the zero carb before. Thanks for the link!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 04:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not that I'm advising Zero Carb but there is a community of dedicated followers. Personally I think a healthy, real food LC plan with IF as needed is a better approach, but there are short term stall breakers of Very VLC like egg, egg and bacon or fat fasts, that work for some. I like vegetables too much to consider those beyond a few days.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 04:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

One of my favourite studies involved giving otherwise fasting individuals 8 grams of glucose a day. Protein oxidation reduced by about the amount of protein that could have been used to produce that 8 grams of glucose through gluconeogenesis, blood ketones remained the same. So basically, these people were eating small amounts of carbohydrate, perhaps without actually increasing their carbohydrate metabolism.

So, if I eat an all-meat, zero carb diet, or add original Atkins induction levels of veggie intake, the amount that Dr. Atkins described as "effectively" zero carbohydrate--will there be much difference? I really don't know, it seems obvious that adding 8 grams of digestible carbohydrate to a zero carbohydrate diet will increase my glucose metabolism, but if you had to ask me before reading that fasting study, it might have seemed pretty obvious that that intervention should have increased glucose metabolism as well.

One thing I do know--certain micronutrients that I like to see in the green (at or near 100 percent of the largely made-up RDA's) are way easier to get there including low carb veggies in my diet, by the time I get a comparable micronutrient intake plugging in just various meats, I end up with a menu that's way less ketogenic, even though it's got less carbohydrate, protein just gets too high.