Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 18:10

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Black Soy Beans

I just discovered these, from Eden Foods. Pricey, since they're organic, but I've been missing beans. They're only 16g carbs for 1 cup. I put 1/2 cup in our meat for our taco salad & it was great. Added a nice different texture & extra protein since we were low on ground beef.

Does anyone know of a different company that might have them cheaper?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 19:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Just tried a google search. Found this. The brand name listed is the same that you are using. Will keep looking.

https://www.verywellfit.com/where-t...y-beans-2242293
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 19:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

#4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 20:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

That's a bit cheaper the my usual grocery. Our Walmart doesn't carry them & I haven't got used to the idea of buying my groceries on-line. Yet. I'll catch up to the rest of you one of these days.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 07:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I have had those!
Keep an eye on your blood sugar- years back i think I remember people talking about them here. It turned out that company had subtracted fiber from total carbs (if my memory serves right).
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 08:31

BF:

Not as great as I thought! I just looked up regular soy beans & they're 17.77g per cup. Still better than pinto beans at 36g/cup. I'll be looking for regular canned soy beans now - bet they're cheaper.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 10:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Robin, you are correct. The way it was labelled, everyone thought they were about 2 g net carb per serving. It was really misleading. Even the customer service reps were trying to tell people that the extreme low carb counts were correct, but all you have to do is work backwards from the total calorie count. Subtract the fat and protein calories, and there's your starch calorie count. It's more like 16 g, not 1 or 2. The fiber was already subtracted, as it is on a lot of labels outside North America.

Still way better than a lot of beans. It's too bad Eden is the only brand I see around, and they're pretty pricey. I'd use them more often if they were as cheap as regular canned beans.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 13:14

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

OK, I need some education. Kristine has mentioned labels outside of north America and that the Eden black soy beans are misleadingly labeled. I have looked around quite a lot and Eden seems to be the most web referenced brand, so its hard to crosscheck. I have found wide differences between some results in carbs in nutritional info across the web for soybeans in general, and yes I'm watching serving size which is usually about a 1/2 cup, or 100-130 grams. Some are 1 cup.

From my understanding, by food labeling law regulated by the FDA, the total carbohydrates listed on the label must be the total carbohydrates, period. There is some controversy on "net carbs" and how it should be allowed to be labeled, but it's pretty clear total carbs must be listed in the total carbs line on a U.S. nutrition label. If one is saying the Eden black soybeans is subtracting the fiber from its total carbohydrate line, then one is accusing...or perhaps somehow through this formula Kristine used...PROVES they are fraudulently labeling this product.

With so many people taking food labeling so seriously, I'm finding it hard to believe someone hasn't reported Eden to the proper authorities (FDA?) for such false labeling. I tried to do the basic calculation Kristine mentioned above, but there is no line item on the Eden can of beans that indicates protein calories...maybe their is another way to derive that information with math? Its not on the can, only the calories from fat are on the can.

From SFGate which has a lot of nutritional info, I found this:

"To find out the starch content of a serving of food, subtract the grams of sugars and fibers from the total carbohydrates."

But this assumes a legal product labeling. If this is correct, labeling and the formula from this article, the black soy beans are 8 grams carbs-7grams fiber-1 gram sugar=zero starches. That does seem unbelievable, but these beans are billed as a super diet food, so maybe its true

Here's the article: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/kin...arch-fiber-1247.

Like I said, I found a few outliers out there that have soy and black soy beans widely higher than these numbers, even way higher than the 16 grams carbs calculated on Kristine's comment, and so many of the other results seemed to be from the Eden black soy bean label, if not directly mentioning that they are from that labeling. I also found, in most cases, regular soy beans were pretty low in net carbs (most nutritional information, like I said I found a few wild outliers out there that seemed to be using the data of other beans because the data was much closer to other beans), a bit above the labeling in this discussion, so that makes sense that black soy beans would be even less since they are touted by so many as being so. Not for nothing, but Dr. Oz has also sung the praises of black soy beans (for what thats worth).

Here is another label for black soybeans from LC Foods that matches the Eden label:

https://www.holdthecarbs.com/non-gm...-black-soybeans

Granted maybe they are actually packaged by the same people and therefore the label is not correct...but total carbs are total carbs, labels are not supposed to take other calculations in to consideration unless they state that they have, such as Atkins packaging and some other new packaging starting in 2018 that allows net carbs to be shown, but the total carbs MUST be also shown so you can do our own calculation if you choose not to buy in to the -fiber and - sugar alcohols calculations

So it seems to me, if these labels are false, they are breaking the law. I'm not convinced the labeling is wrong, but I'm open to being convinced. If there is proof of this, such as independent nutritional analysis done by a university for instance...or other investigative lab, I would personally report it to the FDA. I find it hard to believe a company selling these beans and even made a national media "superfood" by someone like Dr. Oz would risk the penalty of such false information. It's possible they are criminally negligent or criminally internationally mislabeling, but man, thats a real situation these days...not labeling food correctly. Very risky for the company and the consumer.

I'd like to know more. Seems like there should be more out there on this falsehood if popularly assumed to be true. I'm not finding anything on the web when searching "black soybeans misleading label " or "carbohydrate of black soybeans misleading label" for instance. Seems like there would be a lot of outrage in the LC world if this were a "thing".

School me

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Mon, Jul-16-18 at 13:40.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 15:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
OK, I need some education. Kristine has mentioned labels outside of north America and that the Eden black soy beans are misleadingly labeled. I have looked around quite a lot and Eden seems to be the most web referenced brand, so its hard to crosscheck. I have found wide differences between some results in carbs in nutritional info across the web for soybeans in general, and yes I'm watching serving size which is usually about a 1/2 cup, or 100-130 grams. Some are 1 cup.

If I remember right, I got the total carb info off the label for the Eden black soy beans & off the internet for regular. So the label wasn't deceptive, but I think the hype is. There's very little difference, even after subtracting fiber, between the regular & the black.

I don't think carb counts are as accurate as we would like - I've seen a lot of differences. When there is a difference, I choose the higher count, just to be safe.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 15:47

BF:

You are right about carb info, it can be tricky. A lot of people dont realize dry spices have carbs and almost everyone's favorite, garlic powder, is pretty high in carbs!

My main point was the belief that the canned black soybeans labeling was not correct...that the total carbs had the fiber already subtracted from it on the label. That was Kristine's input. If she's right thats false labeling on a food product and should be reported, I just dont know if she's right...leaving open either way being the answer. I only know what the label says and that its illegal (I think) for a company to knowingly falsely label a product.

Here is nutrition info on regular soybeans. Its based on 100 grams, so that may be less than 1/2 cup.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/soybeans

The black soybeans say 130 grams is 1/2 cup...but I suppose the two types of beans could have a different density or weight per half cup.

Here are the black soy beans

https://www.edenfoods.com/store/ima...nlea/103050.gif

On this black soy label they are now breaking out the insoluble fiber separate from the soluble fiber. That may mean something but I'm keeping it simple, in the Atkins frame of reference, we are told to subtract fiber and any sugar alcohols from the total carb number for a net carbs value.

Just for the sake of discussion, lets just say 100 grams of black soybeans, rounded up is 1 gram net carbs because we'd have to fraction that gram to do 100 grams technically and I HAVE found that manufacturers DO NOT have to report fractions of carbs. If a product unit has less than half a gram I think they can legally say none, half to .99 they have to call it 1...I think.

The regular soybeans' nutrition info DOES get in to tenths, which is unusual. multiplying the 100grams by 1.3 to assume a half a cup, 130grams X 2, that would equal to about 13 grams total carbs per 1/2 cup or 26 grams per cup. But the net carbs after subtracting the fiber is only a little over 10 grams carbs per cup...by this nutrition label of regular soy beans. Mileage may vary from what I have found.

I know thats getting in to the weeds and choosing the higher count is the safe bet but you could be leaving some carbs on the table, especially in stage 2-4 Atkins. Induction is so intense, it would make a huge difference if the black soy beans were mislabeled. I'm thankfully past induction and its not a good idea to stay at induction levels of carbs more than a couple months max as I recall reading. That's just not enough for normal brain function over the long term. 20grams and less is drastic but what is required for induction to get keto rolling.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-18, 19:50

Plan: diabetic
Stats: 240/156/155 Male 5-7 1/4
BF:
Progress:

I have one can left and some eggplant on the vine, lunch tomorrow.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 06:21

BF:

I just made a can last night. Some chicken bouillon granules, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. I put them in a pan with all their liquid and cook them until almost all the liquid is gone, it makes for a plate-able dish that doesn't run juices all over and no need for a bowl. Adding some cumin takes them to a mexican-ish direction...putting them in the food processor makes that very much like refried beans.

I also make hummus with them.

I just got a whole new flat of them in yesterday.

I have to say, after all the discussion above, I still haven't found a way these numbers add up. Unless the seaweed listed on the ingredients somehow add all that fiber with no extra carbs (seaweed is usually mostly net carb neutral), I cant validate how these can be 1 gram net carbs per half cup. One of the reasons is, there is almost no nutritional information out there on black soy beans. These cans are the only thing I find out there for cooked black soy beans, the only other thing I found is a few results for dry black soy beans and those are higher in carbs...still way lower than almost any other bean, but not 1 gram net.

I have become skeptical, but haven't called the company, they will justify it I'm sure. I may call or email and see if I can get a copy of the lab results. But for now, at least if we assume the 8 grams is the net, these are still the lowest of most beans; only green, snap and mung means are lower.