Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 15:40

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Jerky? Smoked salmon?

I often have to travel, and travel to stay with friends who are NOT LC. They don't know what to feed me, and feel guilty. And they're kind of broke, and have no space to cook, so eating there is hard.

Now, I just did a 48 hour fast the other day, when my blood glucose got high... I may use that "excuse" next time, as she knows I've got a diabetes diagnosis.

On the other hand, I like to bring "travel food" with me, when I can. I tend to get hungry when I'm down there -- maybe because I'm being more physically active.

Nuts are good -- I usually have big jars of raw almonds/pecans around the house, because some days, that's what I crave. (1/4 C, nibbled while I'm doing something, will often be all I need for a meal.)

Today, I was in a healthfood store, and they had jerky strips by the checkout... and smoked salmon.

Of course, both had brown sugar.

I was wondering, if anyone has any good sources for these that don't add sugar? I'm willing to order online... I just am hoping someone already knows a good starting place. (*blatantly pulling on pooled knowledge*)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 17:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Just put “no sugar jerky” in asearch engine,and browse what looks good. I haven’t gotten any myself, but these days adding “keto” to whatever you are looking for would work.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 20:28
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

As I have posted here before: I get mine from Dziuk's they do FedX, but fortunately for me it's a 30 minute round trip

http://www.dziuks.com/shop/ Beef & turkey no Alaska smoked salmon. I recommend the plain beef chunk, not sliced. Store in the fridge for a week or freeze. It has no preservatives just salt 'n pepper. Two pounds lasts me a whole week or more.

Thanks. Now I'm hungry!

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Feb-06-19 at 20:33.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 08:29

BF:

One emergency strategy that works for me is how local convenience stores stock those sausage/cheese twin packs. A couple of those and a giant dill pickle suits me fine.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 10:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

DOnt forget eggs--- easy in a microwave if they have one. Reminder to becareful about nuts-- they are actually high carbs if portion is more than a few nuts at a time.

While I had the same problem finding no-sugar jerky, we resorted to making our own using first an oven, then bought a dryer as a family Christmas present. Have a batch of sliced duck breast marinating in frig now. When on drier, it is less than 12 hours of drying time. WITH NO sugar, and own choice of spices.

Glad you are tackling this and finding a solution. Getting hungry and crazy food situations can be derailing. Hope you find a flavor that you will love!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 13:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good smoked salmon doesn't typically have sugar, but it can be pricey, particularly wild smoked salmon. I get it at the local Wegmans in my area. Always read the labels. Jerky is tough, as there are a lot of brands made by those who think you can't have a meat snack without making it sweet or adding chemicals to get the sense of smoke or spice. Amazon is a good place for sorting out the ones you can eat, as they typically include a list of ingredients. Jerky is great for trips, as it can survive anything from ground to air.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 13:21

BF:

Really hardcore: pemmican
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 14:18

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here is a place I bookmarked a while back, with a huge variety of fish but I don't see a nutrition break down so I'm afraid all of the smoked fish has sugar in it so I never ordered any.
But the selection of Alaskan Seafood is huge and they do have salmon jerkey.
https://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/smokedfish.htm
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 14:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

This is very interesting! I have never heard of this before in the US but I have seen how they use fat in France to seal a terrine of pate'. One video at the link did mention the first to do it here was a French men and native American wives.
It was hard to hear but I think he called them the meatest people?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_vLuMobHCI

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Feb-07-19 at 14:44.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 15:43

BF:

The Indigenous North Americans of the Great Plains were nomads, not farmers. That could explain the “meatest” remark.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 16:18

BF:

Quote:
The Indigenous North Americans of the Great Plains were nomads, not farmers. That could explain the “meatest” remark.

Hunters!

I was going to comment earlier on what you said about stopping at a convenience store and finding food. I do that too!
A big fat pickle to go with the protein.

I did it once at a Family Dollar store. I bought a small bag of pork rinds, a package of turkey or ham (which ever one is lowest in sugar), a package of cheddar cheese and a jar of pickle spears and I ate like a queen!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Good smoked salmon doesn't typically have sugar,

Literally ALL the smoked salmon I've been seeing locally has "sugar", "brown sugar", or "honey" as the second ingredient.

It's nuts -- it doesn't NEED it!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 18:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
Literally ALL the smoked salmon I've been seeing locally has "sugar", "brown sugar", or "honey" as the second ingredient.

It's nuts -- it doesn't NEED it!

That would drive me MAD.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 18:34

Quote:

I think I love you?

Great idea!

Screw the stores, I'll make my own... and pemican has way more fat that jerky, any day, anyway. (Doesn't help me with the salmon, though... I like some good smoked salmon in recipes, but that doesn't help me with my travel-weeks.)

And for those worrying about me & nuts... trust me on this. Nuts are a vital part of my LC eating. I know exactly how much I can have, and stay "good". I'm not sitting down and just eating them, unmeasured, and they're far from an every-day thing. But they don't need refrigeration or cooking, which makes them useful for travel. (And half the time then, I eat far less than an allowed "portion"
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-19, 19:12

BF:

When I travel I have a small ice chest with cream (mandatory for coffee) string cheese, maybe some deli meat, pkg salami.
Dry bag- pork rinds, can of sardines, nuts, low-sugar all meat beef jerky, dried beef chunk (I buy at one certain convenience store.)

I go with supplies! If I don't use it, it just goes back home with me.

ps In a pinch, a Slim Jim will work, not the best but better than a high carb item!