Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > My P.L.A.N. Tool Support Forum
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 14:03
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Entering a new food

Gah! I never got really good at utilizing the great My PLAN feature here, although I do like having it here instead of having to go to a different site.

Anyway - I'm trying to enter in the following:

Newman's Own Lighten Up Light Balsamic Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 2 tbsp, or 30 grams
Calories 45
Fat cals 40
Carbs 2

Anyway I keep getting an error message telling me this dressing must be 368 calories. I know that's not true, but am unsure as to what the heck I'm doing wrong.

I'm very curious about where my food's at these days, and am trying my hand at the My Plan thingie again.

Thanks,

Sara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 14:33
I've decided

I finally figured it out.

I was entering in "Fat Cal. 40", as is shown on the label just underneath 'calories' in the total fat field of the custom food entry, instead of the "Total Fat 4g" listed in the breakdown of nutrients.

Not sure if this is clear to anyone else who has the problem, but I was entering the wrong information into 'total fat' - using the 'Fat calories' number instead of the 'total fat' in grams number. Anyway, all fixed.

Ok - my head hurts now...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 15:49
I've decided

Me again....

I'm running into a similar problem with a type of salsa - I really want to get the hang of 'My PLAN' so I can track my food for awhile.

Anyway, it's "La Victoria Salsa Suprema Medium Salsa" and on the back of the jar is the following:

Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Calories : 10
Total Fat: 0 g
Total Carb. : 1g
Sugars less than 1 g
Protein : 0g

So the message I'm getting when trying to enter this product in as a new food is that the calories and carbs don't match - ie, if there's just 1 carb in this serving, then the calories must be only 4 and not 10 as listed on the label.

Ingredients are: tomatoes, tomato puree, (water and tomato paste), santa fe chiles, salt, distilled vinegar, garlic.

What would you do in this case? Increase the carb count, despite what it says on the nutrition label? Or take down the calories, despite what it says on the label?

Aggghh.....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 16:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This is probably due to rounding 0.6g fat to 0. Is there any fat in the ingredients list?

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 16:11
I've decided

No, there's no fat to speak of - but guess what? I see that this particular brand of salsa is already in the food list - it's slightly higher carb than what is listed on the label, but I'm glad someone else has already done the work. I just went ahead and used the item in My PLAN. I'm not going to agonize over half a carb or 4 calories, if you know what I mean. The carbs and calories are pretty minimal, so it didn't really matter to me whether it was one or the other.

It's just me being a 'newbie' at this tracking stuff. I'm starting to get the feeling that the labels can't always be relied upon. Good thing it's with a minor food item eh?

Thanks for checking in here though - I appreciate it.