Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-15-09, 11:38

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default ‘Whatever next: fat babies? Fat fetuses?’

From Spiked Online:

Quote:
‘Whatever next: fat babies? Fat fetuses?’

A nutrition expert slams the academics who think parents should stop saying ‘puppy fat’ and instead say ‘obese’.

‘Parents can’t see their children are obese’, said one newspaper headline. ‘“It’s just puppy fat”: how parents deceive themselves about their overweight children’, said another. The idea that parents cannot spot ‘unhealthy’ fatness in their kids, and the underlying notion that these chubby children will go on to become obese adults, did not amuse Jeya Henry, professor of human nutrition at Oxford Brookes University. ‘When are we going to stop? Fat babies? Fat fetuses?’ he asked, incredulously.

spiked spoke to Professor Henry following the results (and media promotion) of a study carried out by researchers at Newcastle University in England.

The article continues here: http://www.spiked-online.com/index....e/article/6651/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 13:26

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Doctors used to worry about fat pregnant women and advised them to stay so skinny that their babies' health was endangered from lack of fetal weight gain. I hope they don't go back to something like that again.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-17-09, 15:43

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Doctors used to worry about fat pregnant women and advised them to stay so skinny that their babies' health was endangered from lack of fetal weight gain. I hope they don't go back to something like that again.

They are going back to that. In fact, it is the vogue now to advise women to actually lose weight while pregnant.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 10:27

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
They are going back to that. In fact, it is the vogue now to advise women to actually lose weight while pregnant.

unfortunately, this is the boat i'm in. i was told that my doctor is a stickler on weight, and while i agree that i don't want to gain any MORE weight (having what i'd previously lost come screaming back for no reason is bad enough), i also don't want to be nagged over every half pound. my body has a very bad habit of doing whatever it wants regardless of what i eat. so far i've managed to keep things steady and not gained anything... yet. if that trend continues, then fine. if not, i don't want to have to worry about losing it while trying to compensate for a developing parasitic human who's happily doing its own thing.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 11:04
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Holy crap, they're ENCOURAGING women to lose weight while pregnant? Every time you think the medical geniuses can't get any more blind and backward...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 11:15
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

I thought that they were only encouraging overweight/obese women to lose weight while pregnant? There's no reason for a normal weight woman to lose weight while pregnant. They used to tell all women to gain weight while pregnant, but this is bad advice to a woman who has a disordered insulin metabolism....which is most overweight and obese women.

--Melissa
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 14:16

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I'm a member of an online due date club and every Wednesday is "Wednesday Weight Check" day where we all post how far along we are and what we've gained so far... It's probably the most disgusting post I see all week! These women go on and on about how they've lost 15 pounds, 3 pounds, 5 pounds, etc. and are practically bragging about it! One finally made it back to her pre-pregnancy weight last week (at 19 weeks pregnant) and she was so upset! I was like WTF woman!!!!

Obviously not everyone is like that, most of us are on track with weight gain and just post our stats, but there are those few that just make you shudder. I get it if you've had morning sickness brutally bad and haven't been able to keep anything down for a month, but those women don't brag - they're miserable and cry because they think they're hurting their baby. The others are who I don't get...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 09:18

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary M
Holy crap, they're ENCOURAGING women to lose weight while pregnant? Every time you think the medical geniuses can't get any more blind and backward...

Seems to me that it's not such a bad thing, if a woman loses weight because for the first time in forever she is trying to eat healthy for her baby. Some overweight people will loose weight simply because they stop eating garbage.

Hopefully these women aren't told to eat a low-fat diet <shudder>
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-19-09, 22:25

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Seems to me that it's not such a bad thing, if a woman loses weight because for the first time in forever she is trying to eat healthy for her baby. Some overweight people will loose weight simply because they stop eating garbage.

See now why it's a problem???
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 09:04

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline

a lot of the websites i've seen are still advocating a low-fat diet, heavy on whole grains and fruit and limiting protein. it's nothing more than the SAD and just increasing caloric intake by 100 (first trimester) or 300 (second & third trimesters) calories a day.

i've been told that my doctor advocates a low-carb diet, which i'm ALL for. when i told the nurse practitioner that carbs seemed to be the only thing settling my stomach, she actually suggested heading for protein instead of fruit or crackers. i've tried it with mixed success. it's a lot easier to have a bag of gardettos in my drawer than a container of chicken.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 07:21
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
a lot of the websites i've seen are still advocating a low-fat diet, heavy on whole grains and fruit and limiting protein. it's nothing more than the SAD and just increasing caloric intake by 100 (first trimester) or 300 (second & third trimesters) calories a day.

i've been told that my doctor advocates a low-carb diet, which i'm ALL for. when i told the nurse practitioner that carbs seemed to be the only thing settling my stomach, she actually suggested heading for protein instead of fruit or crackers. i've tried it with mixed success. it's a lot easier to have a bag of gardettos in my drawer than a container of chicken.

You might also try some protein-rich combinations, like cheese + crackers (maybe four crackers with 2-ounces cheddar).....plain whole yogurt with berries.....a half-sandwich, heavy on the meat inside, thin slice bread....it's not a perfect option, but will also give the protein to sate appetite and keep blood sugars more stable than carbs alone!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 09:11

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM

Funnily enough, when my sister was pregnant with her first, back in 1987, her doctor gave her a "diet sheet" that recommended she eat eggs in butter every day for breakfast, steak several times a week, etc. It was actually quite a low carb diet, and contained lots of the stuff I now think of as "good" food.

Sadly, everyone else in the world shrieked at her that she would kill herself and her baby on such an "outdated" diet, and what she really needed were tons of whole grains and fruits and veggies. Sadly (I hang my head in shame) I was one of the loudest shriekers as I was on a very strict, ultra-low-fat diet in those days.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-23-09, 14:56

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

With all my children I lost weight when pregnant. My first two I started to gain it back in the last trimester after being diagnosed with gestational diabetes and placed on a "diabetic diet". My last two, I knew better. I low carbed the entire time, following the Schwarzbein principle and I lost weight the entire time. It freaked out my dieticians, but not my doctor. I was heavy enough that I could loose the weight and it did not effect the baby at all. Infact my 3rd was my most healthy of all my babies and non of them were big babies.

It is possible to loose weight if obese and pregnant. I personally believe it it better for the mom if she can control her insulin and sugar levels, because whether or not she is diagnosed with diabetes there is a high chance she is still insulin resistant.