Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-08, 21:01

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I finally tried these the other day. I used cheddar cheese powder, and a sprinkle of cayenne, and onion powder. ate them with some sour cream and homemade salsa. YUM!.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-08, 00:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%
Thumbs up

These are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! You are brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! They were so easy & quick to make. The idea of shredding zucchini seemed time consuming, but it went so fast!

My family is in LOVE with these! Awesome!

I suspect some of the problems people are having may have to do with the quality of their cookie sheets. Some bake evenly & some don't.

For those whose mixture was too runny, I squeazed all of the liquid out of my zucchini before I added the egg and cheese. Give that a try!

Also, before I turned mine over I pressed them with the back of the spatula into the baking pan so they returned to an even thinness. They seemed to bunch up a bit during the cooking.

I also ended up flipping mine an additional time & baking just a minute more.

These were so delicious next time I'm making a double batch. I made them to bring to football sunday tomorrow, but my family (who are not "low carbin it") wolfed them down already! I need to make more!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 08:00
Registered Member

Stats: 225/170/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hey everyone...quick question...

When you say a LARGE zucchini...just exactly how large? The size of a small vehicle large or the size of a winter squash large? The size of a large toaster? 12 oz. large sized? 16 oz. large sized?

Forgive me but I have this very large zucchini I just picked up at the farmer's market this past weekend and I'd like to get just a bit more clarification if this is too large. Picture a guy saying he caught a fish thiiiisssssssss size and that would be the size of my zucchini.

I'd love to make these today! Football is on tonight and these would be a GREAT snack. Thanks so much for any help!

Lisa
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 10:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ah, that's a good question. I have seen some LARGE zuchinni in my time. Ones that I didn't see under those big leaves and when I picked them they were big enough to hollow out and store a cat in.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 11:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkins4lf
Hey everyone...quick question...

When you say a LARGE zucchini...just exactly how large? The size of a small vehicle large or the size of a winter squash large? The size of a large toaster? 12 oz. large sized? 16 oz. large sized?

Forgive me but I have this very large zucchini I just picked up at the farmer's market this past weekend and I'd like to get just a bit more clarification if this is too large. Picture a guy saying he caught a fish thiiiisssssssss size and that would be the size of my zucchini.

I'd love to make these today! Football is on tonight and these would be a GREAT snack. Thanks so much for any help!

Lisa

*shudders* Zucchinis that large should be thrown away! I cannot believe a farmer would sell it in market. Time on the vine is the difference between summer squash and winter squash. Summer squash is palatable while young & tender, winter squash is palatable when aged & hard. When a summer squash has been left to grow it gets mealy & sponge like. Gross!

General rule of summer squash: if it's longer than your pinky to your thumb throw it in the compost pile!

Since you have it, it's texture & lack of moisture might be to your advantage in this recipe. Shred 2 cups worth, squeeze what little moisture might be left in it & throw the rest out!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hmmm, I'm surprised you've never ate a very large zucchini. They're grown like this all over and they do sell them at this size in stores as well. This isn't spongy nor tasteless or gross. They make the best zucchini breads (when I made bread). I buy these all the time, shred them or slice them and grill them. Nothing wrong with them at all. They are just as tasty and tender as the ones I like to call, the baby ones. The larger ones you just get more.

I was simply asking how much to use and not looking for, dissing my zucchini LOL.

And, if anyone throws away large zucchinis they'd have a lot of farmer's knocking on their doors!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:38

BF:
Wink

^Hey! I'm not dissing on your squash! I'm a gardener, and I keep my squash picked so they don't get giant because giant squash are only good for compost!

To each his or her own squash! If you like mealy squash, more power to ya! I know where to send mine Potato potahto right?

Quote:
Because summer squash develop very rapidly after pollination, they are often picked when they are too large and overmature. They should be harvested when small and tender for best quality. Most elongated varieties are picked when they are 2 inches or less in diameter and 6 to 8 inches long. Patty Pan types are harvested when they are 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Slightly larger fruit may be salvaged by hollowing out and using them for stuffing. These larger fruits may also be grated for baking in breads and other items. Do not allow summer squash to become large, hard and seedy because they sap strength from the plant that could better be used to produce more young fruit. Pick oversized squash with developed seeds and hard skin and throw them away. Go over the plants every 1 or 2 days. Squash grow rapidly; especially in hot weather and are usually ready to pick within 4 to 8 days after flowering.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/ssquash1.html
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:46

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

Id like to know what kind of cheese as well?
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:50
Registered Member

BF:

You got it, tomato tomahto!

I like both sizes, small and large. Tell ya what, I'll grill some large zucchini for you, fax it over to you and then you decide. Deal?

So, back to my original question, 2 cups eh? And, thanks for that. Helps a lot!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 12:51
Registered Member

BF:

I used sharp cheddar.

I actually just made these and they're cooling. The taste is awesome as I put in garlic powder before baking.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 11:49

Stats: 224/158/140 Female 5 foot 6
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down unhappy

I was SO excited to make these "doritoes". They look wonderful and I bought the sour cream and onion seasoning. I went to make them today and was NOT happy with this recipe. First I noticed that it calls for a full small bag of cheese. Cheese is quite expensive right now so basically your going to get 36 chips for over $3.00! That seems like alot to me. Anyways, I had already bought the ingredients so I figured, what the hay...I tried to make them anyways. I was only able to make 4 large (about 8 in circles) instead of 6. I set the oven at 450 degrees and after 8 minutes -they are supossed to cook for 12 minutes and then flip - they were burned. My oven is only a few months old so I know the temp was right. Even though I greased the pan fairly well, they stuck big time! I ended up throwing away two baking sheets because it just would have been a pain the rear to try to scrap them for a half and hour and then scratch my pans anyways. So maybe it was just me, but this was a mess. They sure looked better in the picture. I hope that someone else finds success with this recipe.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 11:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always hollowed out the big zucchini and stuffed 'em.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 15:36

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

Mine were not burned but i didnt think they tasted very good. I was so excited but disappointed. I may try them again but they were not crisp I expected them to get crip they tasted like stale old chips. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited by soule72 : Sat, Sep-20-08 at 09:54.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-08, 19:29
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

They should crisp up fairly quickly or they could become stale. Some folks leave them in an oven on the lowest temp with the door ajar for awhile to allow them to dry out more stolidly.

I am really sorry for not checking in sooner. I'm working full-time now! Eek!
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-08, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 227/174/166 Female 5'6
BF:

I made them and put them in the dehydrator I didn't think they'd ever crisp up. I still don't think they were completely crisp except the edges. I put some cheese on top and melted under broil and added some sour cream and they were REALLY GOOD! I was so excited because I decided to make ACTUAL nachos with the works later that night using actual chips for my skinny family (lol) and put the works on my "chips" EWW! I don't know how so much can go wrong in a matter of hours but I had to scrape the toppings off of them. They smelled like "dog breath" and didn't taste any better. lol So for all the work that went into these I'd say I won't be making them again.

I'll stick with the cauliflower pizza and cauliflower lasagna those are awesome.