Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 16:27

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Question I can't get full...

I have done Protein Power off and on over the past few years (off was when I was pregnant and couldn't even look at a protein or fat - but that's the next thread), and now that I'm back, one of the same "problems" I had is haunting me now...

I CAN'T GET FULL!

Now I know we should not eat until we are full, only until we are satiated. But sometimes, you just really MISS that full feeling. Yes...I know it's the carbs that do it, but should I REALLY be able to down a 20 oz steak, salad, and broccoli with cheese and STILL not feel full?
(Granted, I'm no longer interested in food, but not really FULL either).

Any way to get around that every now and then?
Or do you eventually not miss that feeling anymore?

Thanks!
-- Loretta
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 12:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think 'full' is subjective. I don't miss being 'full' because that meant bloated, gassy, wishing I hadn't eaten so much, because now I feel like heck. I usually feel fullER (though not stuffed) about 20 minutes after I eat. I guess it's true that it takes 15-30 minutes for your brain to get the 'full' message.

Do you eat large meals three times a day, or smaller ones more often? Perhaps you need to eat more frequently... one thing I don't like about Protein Power is how they list protein requirements by the meal, instead of by the whole day. I could rarely eat 27 g of protein in one meal.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 14:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristine
Do you eat large meals three times a day, or smaller ones more often? Perhaps you need to eat more frequently...

I usually eat 4 times a day. With 2 crazy little kids, that's about as often as I have time to think about putting something in my mouth!

A typical Breakfast is 2 eggs with cream cheese; 2 or 3 bacon; a slice of light toast with butter (toast carbs = 6)

A typical Lunch is tuna with mayo; a large salad of lettuce/spinach with shredd cheddar and ranch dressing

A typical snack is pecans or cottage cheese

Dinner is where I really miss the "full" feeling. And my dinners are rather "large" - since I'm feeding hubby and don't want him to miss carbs. :-)
Last night was 2 burgers with cheese and mayo ; bowl of cooked cauliflower with butter; large salad with lettuce/shred cheddar/ranch.

I could only eat 1 burger. Not because I was "full" but because food started looking uninteresting after I ate all that.

I know this is a GOOD response, but I still do miss that "full" feeling at dinner.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 18:28
Forum Moderator

BF:

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Especially around PMS time. I don't crave the sugar as much any more, but my appetite goes through the roof sometimes. I can pack away much more food than normal. Sometimes I'll cheat a bit and have some psyllium (fiber suppliment) just to help get the message across to my brain, 'enough already!'

...but I'd rather be 'uninterested' than 'bloated'. Before LCing, when I'd fill up on pasta, I could feel full, and still want more.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 08:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 260/185/185
BF:34%/20%/19%
Talking

Ipioch,
I have had great success with the Protein Power plan for a little over four years. There were times I could gobble down a 20 oz. Porterhouse and look for seconds. One of the most difficult concepts to adhere to is the role that good quality fats play in our body’s metabolism. Fats satisfy our hunger. May I suggest increasing your intake of fats during the day hours? I have found that this relives the desire to eat more protein especially at the evening meal. I try to maintain a consumption ratio of 75/20/5 (fats/protein/carbs). On a 2,000 calorie intake that equates to 167 grams of fat, 100 grams of protein and 25 grams of carbohydrate. I have found through experience when I drop below 60% fats (135 grams) for any length of time I increase not only the protein intake but also my overall calorie intake.
I must mention the need to embrace only good quality fats. Avocados, macadamia nuts, cod liver oil, olives and olive oil are sources for some of the most beneficial fats I use during the day to maintain this ratio.

Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 13:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by jfo

May I suggest increasing your intake of fats during the day hours? I have found that this relives the desire to eat more protein especially at the evening meal. I try to maintain a consumption ratio of 75/20/5 (fats/protein/carbs).

I must mention the need to embrace only good quality fats. Avocados, macadamia nuts, cod liver oil, olives and olive oil are sources for some of the most beneficial fats I use during the day to maintain this ratio.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try it. Funny...I have an avocado lined up for today's snack. :-)

Could you give me an example of a breakfast and lunch that are EASY to make that embraces this?
So far, I'm still on eggs and bacon ('cause it's easy) for breakfast
and tuna with mayo (ok...sometimes Miracle Whip) for lunch because it's easy.

I wouldn't know how to do tuna without mayo!
-- Loretta
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:38
Forum Moderator

BF:

To clarify, the only harmful fats are trans fats. We need unsaturated fats *and* saturated fats. It's just harder to get those unsaturated fats.

So... ideas: make sure your mayo is canola oil (or other healthy oil) based, and/or mix in some healthy oil with it. You can even make your own mayo. Now, I happen to dislike mayo: I mix tuna with cream cheese! It's great! I like to drizzle a little olive oil on my cooked veggies, then sprinkle on some feta or parmesan cheese. I also "spike" my store bought salad dressing with olive oil once I've used a few tablespoons of it. Many people just suppliment with fish or flax seed oil.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:48

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
...but I'd rather be 'uninterested' than 'bloated'. Before LCing, when I'd fill up on pasta, I could feel full, and still want more.

That's me and chips. I can eat a whole bag and not be too full to eat more....well, give me a few minutes and I could.

It's not even that I'm hungry.

I'm trying to learn the "it takes time for your tummy to tell the brain its full".

Last night I had a plateful of delicous steak. I probably could have eaten another, but I stopped and just waited for the full feeling to come, which it it.

Lee
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 09:49

Stats: 260/185/185
BF:34%/20%/19%

Quote:
Originally posted by lpioch

Could you give me an example of a breakfast and lunch that are EASY to make that embraces this?

The easy way to add fats is to put olive oil on everything you consume. I purchase rather expensive olive oil ($30-$35 U.S. a bottle...be sure it is date stamped and in a dark bottle). I have developed a real taste for good olive oil, much like one would for wines. I eat sardines and tuna canned in olive oil. I also snack on macadamia nut butter, almond nut butter, and English walnut butter, all with celery. Leftovers are my main stay for lunches with, you guessed it, drenched in olive oil. I supplement every morning with Carlson's cod liver oil.
It really doesn't take a lot of fats to get your calories up there, but they will start making a difference in your appetite.

Take Care
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 14:10

BF:

Quote:
To clarify, the only harmful fats are trans fats. We need unsaturated fats *and* saturated fats. It's just harder to get those unsaturated fats.

So... ideas: make sure your mayo is canola oil (or other healthy oil) based, and/or mix in some healthy oil with it.

It says its made with soybean oil. Is that healthy? It also advertised "no hydrogenated oils".

I know the general rule about oils...if its made from something you can imagine being oily (like olives) - then its fine. So, for example, corn oil's not so good 'cause corn's just not very oily.

I think soybeans are relative oily...not sure!

-- Loretta
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 15:07

Stats: 198/183/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi Loretta, nice to see you here.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 16:14

BF:
Default Thanks for letting me know about this site!

Hey Gretchen!

Look at YOU! 14 pounds down and 42% to your goal...in how long?!? (or should I say in how short?!?)

I'm so glad you told me about this site. What a great resource.

Now all I have to do is stay positive and motivated. With this being diet #54 or #78 or lost count, it's going to be SLOW GOING for me. But at least I eat real food! :-)

-- Loretta
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 16:49
Forum Moderator

BF:

>>"It says its made with soybean oil. Is that healthy? It also advertised "no hydrogenated oils"."

Apparently, a lot of soy oil is hydrogenated, and it doesn't have to be labelled as such. BUT - if the label specifically says "no hydrogenated oils," it's probably okay to assume they're telling the truth.

Avoid those hydrogenated oils. This is going to become easier soon: this year, the FDA is very likely going to start requiring trans fats levels to be listed on the packaging.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 20:23

BF:
Default Kristine, How long did it take you?

Kristine,

Your stats look so much like mine. I'm starting out at 159 and want to get down to around 135. I know everyone is different, but how long did it take you?
I'm about 5'3".
And against me is the fact that I have dieted a LOT before.

== Loretta
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Sometimes when I'm "comfortable" but not yet full, I add a liquid to top things off. Sometimes all I need is a glass of water. Other times, some soup or boullion. In any case, it finishes the full-feeling without having eaten more.