Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 16:49

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Help! Need liquid(y) diet ideas

Ok. Last Thursday I had both of my tonsils removed. I've been getting by on heavy-cream-only ice cream, some cottage cheese, straight heavy cream, and some sour cream. (oh, and for the first time ever, sugar-free jello.) I did make some cream-of-broccoli soup with some chicken which I blended smooth. It's ok, but I have to watch out for any food that's hot and it doesn't taste very good.

Now that my throat is starting to get a bit better, I can eat some scrambled eggs, as long as they've cooled to room temperature, and some hamburger if I brown it and crumble it as small as possible, mix it with sour cream and flavorings, and chew it really well. But it still hurts and I can't eat too much. Today I just bought some pate so we'll see how that works. That should be ok as long as I eat it with some water so it doesn't get too sticky in the throat.

Why am I writing this as it seems like my throat will only get better and should be fine in another week? Well, I'm going to have to go through this at least one more time. They found a small squamous cell carcinoma on my left tonsil. It was small, and seemed only at an early stage. They're going to go back into my throat, take out more tissue around the site of the tonsil, and then take out the rest of the lymph nodes in the left side of my neck. If no more cancer, then it will be just watching out for it. If they find more, then it's radiation therapy with perhaps some chemo. At that point, even beyond the extra surgery, this thread will become, perhaps, a true life-saver.

So, because I've already gotten sick of this limited diet, and I'm going to have to go back for more throat surgery, I'm looking for help.

I have some requirements for the recipes in this thread to work.

Requirements:
1. Have to be smooth. Can't be more textured than cottage cheese
2. Can't be acidic. Even sour cream is a bit too acidic on its own. Lemons, chili peppers, etc. are right out.
3. High fat, or at least higher fat is good
4. Low-carb
5. Some sweet stuff is ok, but I've tried to eliminate sweet from my diet whenever possible so I find my taste for it is limited. Savory recipes will be appreciated. But that's not to say you can't show me how to make low-carb chocolate pudding.
6. It has to taste good room temperature or cooler.
7. As few fake ingredients as possible. I'm not adverse to splenda, but I'm not really into fake baked goods, and most wouldn't qualify anyway.

These don't make it easy, but then I know y'all are very resourceful! Please help! Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Plane
who decided to put this in the Main dishes thread since this will be my only source of food. Oh, and I have a stick blender, a food processor, and will be buying a regular blender.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 17:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Plane
who decided to put this in the Main dishes thread since this will be my only source of food.

Problem with that is that the actual recipe areas are for posting actual recipes only, as is written in the Kitchen Forum Rules sticky in each subforum.

When I had a tooth problem a few years ago, I pretty much liquidized all sorts of meals, just by putting them into the blender with enough liquid - usually cream, although chicken stock is also helpful. As long as the meat, chicken or fish was reasonably tender to start with, I found it blended well. The main trick is to add enough liquid.

Roz

ETA: This thread can give you some help, and Kristine's post links to another one with more.

Last edited by Rosebud : Fri, Apr-04-08 at 17:42.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 18:32

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...-coconutty.html

Very Berry Coconutty Smoothie
1 can coconut milk
6 large frozen strawberries
6 ice cubes
2 Tbsp Da Vinci Raspberry Syrup*
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Optional: Scoop of whey protein

Place all ingredients in to a blender and liquify. Pour in to an insulated mug and enjoy.

The entire pitcher contains approximately 16 grams of carbs...closer to 19 if you add the protein powder. While this recipe is not for those on Atkins induction, it is just fine for maintenance or Barry Groves fans. (His plan allows up to 60g of carbs per day.)

* If not available, use whatever sugar replacer you prefer. 2 packets of Splenda and 2 packets of Equal works well.

Do not underestimate to power of coconut milk
Creamy, delicious, and loaded with nummy fats. If you are a savory fan, you can also make a mild curry soup (all my recipes are for really spicy stuff...but here is one that sounded promising... http://www.foodreference.com/html/c...er-curry-s.html ...just remember to use the full-fat yogurt)

LindaSue's website also has quite a few that you might be able to adapt. I love her beefy mushroom soup. It uses a pumpkin base. You might have to leave out the mushrooms (or puree the heck out of them) but a beef broth/pumpkin base is VERY tasty.
http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...ecipe-site.html
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 18:57
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I suggest that you Google "Low carb shakes smoothie recipes" (without the quote marks.) I got more hits just now than I could possibly list for you! Also, I'm sure there are some that will sound appealing to you and others that do not, so you have to check them out yourself. There are even savory recipes in there.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 19:52

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Would soft foods do? We compiled a list of ideas a long time ago:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=210698

Karen's suggestion of chawan mushi seems especially good.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 19:55

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

This one's a little more recent:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ight=soft+foods

Avocado and guacamole would work too. I hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by bike2work : Sat, Apr-05-08 at 07:23.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 17:54
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Chicken soup made the old fashioned way using a whole free-range chicken. You could add some cream at the end to raise the fat level and blend it all together to make cream of chicken soup. Not sure how it would taste at room temperature though.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 19:52
Never Give Up!

BF:

If you like egg custard, this is a good recipe. I've made it twice now. The last time I made it, I used 2 1/2 cups of Calorie Countdown milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream, instead of the amounts in the ingredient list. I didn't change any other ingredients or amounts, except to add a bit more Splenda. It came out just as nicely, but I got more servings.

JOSIE'S CREAMY EGG CUSTARDhttp://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/creamy_egg_custard.html

4 eggs 

2 cups Carb Countdown milk or heavy cream 

1 teaspoon vanilla 

1/8 teaspoon salt 

1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda 

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon (to sprinkle on top)

Whisk all of the ingredients, except the nutmeg or cinnamon well; strain into a shallow baking dish. Set the dish in a larger pan filled with water to go up side of dish 1 inch. Bake at 325º 30 minutes or until set. Chill well before serving and sprinkle each serving with nutmeg or cinnamon.

Makes 4 servings 
Do not freeze

Made with Carb Countdown milk: 
With granular Splenda: 
Per Serving: 155 Calories; 9g Fat; 12g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda: 
Per Serving: 143 Calories; 9g Fat; 12g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Made with heavy cream: 
With granular Splenda: 
Per Serving: 501 Calories; 49g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs
With liquid Splenda: 
Per Serving: 489 Calories; 49g Fat; 9g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Linda Sue's Notes: I made this in a shallow baking dish, but it took mine way more than the suggested 30 minutes to set up. Mine took about an hour and 10 minutes. If you want to make this in custard cups, the 30 minutes may be long enough. This is a very nice custard with just the right sweetness. Click the photo to see a close-up.

UPDATE: I got a correction from the author of this recipe. The oven temperature should be 325º and not 300º like I had here originally. Start checking the custard after 30 minutes and bake until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 21:21
OWL More Veggies

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/223/175 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 40%

Kasil, where do you get carb Countdown, I have been looking for it for ever and can't seem to find it. I thought it when away with all the other Low Carb foods we were once blessed with.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 18:47
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePants
Kasil, where do you get carb Countdown, I have been looking for it for ever and can't seem to find it. I thought it when away with all the other Low Carb foods we were once blessed with.
I finally found it at a chain of stores called Fred Meyer. I'm not sure whether they're in your area or not, but you could always check the phone book.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 19:25

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Super Walmarts in Colorado carry it. The chocolate is AWESOME!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 19:29
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

It's now called Calorie Countdown but has the same carb content as before.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 19:43
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Avocado and Cilantro Soup Leave out the hot sauce and cut back on the lime juice.
Yellow Squash Soup -- I'd use heavy cream instead of yogurt.
Pumpkin pie filling made with splenda
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 227/174/166 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 87%

I feel for you. I had my tonsils and adenoids removed last November the week of my 32 birthday. *Happy Birthday, right?* I was ready for it though. I had horrible sore throats and sinus issues that I no longer have.

I wish I could help with food ideas I have no memory of what I ate. lol Other than I did buy some SF ice cream. I know it wasn't long until I ate regular food because I was on some pretty heavy pain meds.

I love cauliflower cooked and minced with onions cheese etc kinda like potato soup.

I do remember I screwed up and made some spicy chicken meal and could feel the spicy peppers burn my throat.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 21:48
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Coconut milk nog - basically coconut milk and egg yolks, whizzed in the blender. Add whatever flavours you want (vanilla, cinnamon, etc) Could always add a protein powder if needed.

I second the pumpkin pie filling idea - I make this as squares (very mushy) and they're wonderful.

Maybe grab some coconut oil to use as a supplemental fat? Tastes pretty good off the spoon. Would keep your mouth feeling lubricated too

Cream cheese with cocoa (or a flavour extract) and some stevia is nice; imagine it would be nice with savoury flavourings as well, if you're into eating cream cheese on it's own with a spoon. (too thick?)

You could get an ice cream maker (about $60) and make ice cream with heavy cream and stuff. Man, all my ideas are for sweet stuff.

A meatshake! (I dare ya) Actually, IIRC someone here wrote about drinking blended liver shakes. If you do it I'll give you five bucks.

ETA: I remember reading something about a liquid ketogenic diet - I'll see what google has to say. Don't know if it would be something useful (or possible to prepare) for you or not.

Last edited by waywardsis : Wed, Apr-09-08 at 21:58.