Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 16:49

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Help! Need liquid(y) diet ideas

Ok. Last Thursday I had both of my tonsils removed. I've been getting by on heavy-cream-only ice cream, some cottage cheese, straight heavy cream, and some sour cream. (oh, and for the first time ever, sugar-free jello.) I did make some cream-of-broccoli soup with some chicken which I blended smooth. It's ok, but I have to watch out for any food that's hot and it doesn't taste very good.

Now that my throat is starting to get a bit better, I can eat some scrambled eggs, as long as they've cooled to room temperature, and some hamburger if I brown it and crumble it as small as possible, mix it with sour cream and flavorings, and chew it really well. But it still hurts and I can't eat too much. Today I just bought some pate so we'll see how that works. That should be ok as long as I eat it with some water so it doesn't get too sticky in the throat.

Why am I writing this as it seems like my throat will only get better and should be fine in another week? Well, I'm going to have to go through this at least one more time. They found a small squamous cell carcinoma on my left tonsil. It was small, and seemed only at an early stage. They're going to go back into my throat, take out more tissue around the site of the tonsil, and then take out the rest of the lymph nodes in the left side of my neck. If no more cancer, then it will be just watching out for it. If they find more, then it's radiation therapy with perhaps some chemo. At that point, even beyond the extra surgery, this thread will become, perhaps, a true life-saver.

So, because I've already gotten sick of this limited diet, and I'm going to have to go back for more throat surgery, I'm looking for help.

I have some requirements for the recipes in this thread to work.

Requirements:
1. Have to be smooth. Can't be more textured than cottage cheese
2. Can't be acidic. Even sour cream is a bit too acidic on its own. Lemons, chili peppers, etc. are right out.
3. High fat, or at least higher fat is good
4. Low-carb
5. Some sweet stuff is ok, but I've tried to eliminate sweet from my diet whenever possible so I find my taste for it is limited. Savory recipes will be appreciated. But that's not to say you can't show me how to make low-carb chocolate pudding.
6. It has to taste good room temperature or cooler.
7. As few fake ingredients as possible. I'm not adverse to splenda, but I'm not really into fake baked goods, and most wouldn't qualify anyway.

These don't make it easy, but then I know y'all are very resourceful! Please help! Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Plane
who decided to put this in the Main dishes thread since this will be my only source of food. Oh, and I have a stick blender, a food processor, and will be buying a regular blender.
Sponsored Links