Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-01, 15:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Default meds and vitamins

Hi all. I just read on the thyroid forum on About.com that one should wait 6 hours after taking your thyroid meds before you take calcium supplements or multivitamins. I have only been waiting about 2 hours, if that. Does anyone know what problem this would cause? I take so many supplements during the day that I'm starting to feel like a guinea pig! Anyway, any enlightenment would be appreciated. P.S. I do take extra calcium, evening primrose oil. a multivitamin, extra B and potassium. Cheers, Lara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 07:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Lara

And I've heard 2 to 3 hrs. Hmmm .... Definitely take the thyroid hormone on an empty stomach -- an hour before breakfast is recommmended.

I think the most important thing is consistency. Your blood levels will indicate if enough hormone is getting into your system. So whatever you have been doing, stick with it. Suddenly changing the timing of the dose and/or on an empty stomach as opposed to with food .... can change the levels in your blood. If you do make changes, then be sure to have your blood levels checked again within a month or two.

Here are some general tips for taking thyroid hormone, whether synthetic or natural
  • Most doctors feel that taking thyroid hormone on an empty stomach allows for maximum absorption.
  • Many practitioners advise that you allow at least one hour before eating, because it allows for maximum absorption.
  • Be consistent about a high-fiber diet. If you start or stop eating high-fiber, get your thyroid rechecked, because it may change your absorption.
  • Many experts recommend you take vitamins or supplements with iron at least two to three hours apart from thyroid hormone. Iron can interfere with thyroid hormone absorption if taken too close together.
  • Be careful about taking calcium and calcium-fortified orange juice at the same time as thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.
  • Don't take antacids within two hours of thyroid hormone. Allow at least 2-3 hours apart, so absorption is not affected.
  • Watch for interactions with antidepressants & thyroid hormone. Zoloft, Paxil and Prozac can make thyroid meds more or less effective. Talk to your doctor.
  • Don't stop taking thyroid hormone when you're pregnant or breastfeeding. It's necessary for you and your baby's health. Talk to your doctor about adjusting to the right dosage.
Calcium-Magnesium supplements can be taken later in the day .... with lunch, dinner and the last dose at bedtime .. .. to promote restful sleep.

On the subject of fiber, if you're using a fiber supplement ... whether tablets or psyllium husks ... make sure you take it at least an hour apart from any other medication or supplement, since it can inhibit absorption as well.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Smile Thanks

Hi Doreen. Once again you have come to my rescue! I have been taking my thyroid at 7 a.m. and not doing breakfast til about 9 so this should be ok. All the other supplements I will now take later in the day. Should be all right. Timing sure is so important with all the things we ingest. I don't take any fibre since I eat lots of greens. Once again, thank you for putting my mind at ease. Cheers, Lara