Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 18:28

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky25
Hi everybody. I am also from pa. Bucks county actually. Anyone close to that?

I'm not from PA but have been living here for the past 9 years. Becky, I'm in Bucks County.

Phyllis
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 07:40

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Karen, I work in Nazareth ... and may be moving to Bangor or Stroudsburg soon.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 20:49

Stats: 273/-/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Smile I'm from PA too...

Hi everyone...

I'm glad to see there are others here from PA too...

I am originally from Hazleton, but moved to Effort (the Poconos) a year ago., but still commute to Hazleton to work...

Anyone elso out ther from my neck of the woods?

Would look forward to meeting other LC'ers in my area.....
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 22:02

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PML
I'm not from PA but have been living here for the past 9 years. Becky, I'm in Bucks County.

Phyllis

pipersville, huh? thats right up the street from me. im in warrington for now, but will be moving to allentown in about a month.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 07:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky25
pipersville, huh? thats right up the street from me. im in warrington for now, but will be moving to allentown in about a month.

Hi Becky,

We've been in Pipersville about 1 1/2 years. Before that we were in Yardley. (My husband grew up in Doylestown.)

It would be so great to meet some people close enough to start some sort of support group that could meet in person once or twice a month.

Good luck with the move. I hate moving! (We moved a year and a half ago and I still have boxes to unpack! It's gotten to be a huge source of amusement for friends and family.) I love the Allentown airport... soooo much better than flying from Philly. I've really never been to Allentown, except to fly in and out.

Are you ready for the snow that they are predicting for this weekend? You should have seen my husband's eyes light up at the prospect of using his snow blower for the first time this season! He has the Tim Allen model... arrrr, arrrr, arrrr... of snowblower (or should I say THROWER) he can throw our snow across the street into our neighbors yard, if he wants.

Stay warm and have a great weekend,

Phyllis

#21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 08:46

BF:

phyllis, i don't know how i feel about the snow...just howmuch are we talking? a little is ok, but any more than that and i don't drive. i am absolutely terrified of the roads. i have been in too many ditches with the ice.
i am originally from perkasie,i moved to chalfont about 6 years ago. we just sold our townhouse there, and had to move into an apt temporarily, until we close on the new house. so i am so sick of it all. i will be glad when its over! i don't know too much about allentown, but i will definitely miss this area. its so beautiful here. but we really wanted to buy a single home, and its kind of expensive in bucks county. allentown is the farthest my husband would commute to-he works in lansdale. i'm home with 4 kids lately- (2 are mine, and 2 are my sister-in-law's), so i'm looking forward to the change of scenery. all my days kind of blur together!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 08:51

BF:

P.S. i think thats a good idea to start something for the locals around here. i would definitely be up for getting together.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 19:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/147/125 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default PA People

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum. I live in Montgomery County, PA.
Becky, I get to Allentown at least once a week to take my children to art school there. It's about an hours drive but the Baum School is worth it.
Nice to meet some fellow Low Carb Pennsylvanians!
April
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 05:36

BF:

hello.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 07:46

BF:

Hi Becky,

Sorry I didn't get back to respond before now. It's been a bit nuts around here.

Well, by now, you know how much snow we got. We got about a foot at our house. My husband was so excited the first couple of times he used the snow blower. Of course, after the 4th or 5th time blowing and shoveling he wasn't quite so excited. We have horrendous wind in my neighborhood. Because of the wind and because the snow was so light, he would go out and snow blow and shovel and within a few hours you couldn't tell he had done anything. He spent the entire weekend dealing with or recovering from snow removal.

Becky, I don't drive in the snow or ice either. Where I come from, when it snows (about every 10 to 15 years), if you were ever lucky enough to get more than 1/2 an inch it shut EVERYTHING down! I haven't been in any ditches yet, knock on wood, and that it exactly what I am trying to avoid by NOT driving in snow or ice.

As much as I want to move back down south, I have to admit that we are in a beautiful area. All my friends and family who come to visit are shocked by how beautiful it is here.

Kind of expensive?! It's outrageous!!! And the bidding wars that were going on when we bought our house were horrible. We ended up paying $18,000 more than the original asking price for our house (long story). And, I know one couple that ended up getting $26,000 more than their asking price because the prospective buyers got into a bidding war.

Some friends of ours built their house about 3 - 4 years ago for a little over $200,000. About a year ago, they were thinking about buying or building a larger home. Their realestate agent told them that they should list for no lower than $460,000 and that with the market the way it was, they could possibly get as much as $500,000. That is outrageous! In a little over two years it more than doubled in value. As attractive as that sounded, they decided they might not want to pay the current prices for a larger home. So, I know exactly where you are coming from!!!

Four kids... whew... you have your hands full!!!

Stay warm,

Phyllis
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 07:47

BF:

Hi April
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 08:20

BF:

Hi Phyllis! I guess "kind of expensive" IS an understatement.We actually lucked out when we bought this new house. the sellers had already closed on their new house, and they wanted us more than we wanted them. So we were able to knock their price down about$5,000. and this was after they had already lowered their price about $20,000. They initially were asking way too much. But it all came down to the wire for them and so they were very "agreeable" Personally, I think its more than we can afford, but Its so important that the kids have a yare.THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY IN THIS APARTMENT!!! apparently the people above us just got a dog for christmas, and instead of walking it, they just let it pee off the balcony, and since our balcony is about a foot wider, everything just runs down onto our stuff. I was so mad, i can't wait to get out of here. Only about one more month!Becky
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 08:39

BF:

Becky,

Wow! You did luck out! Guess it was meant to be.

The kids will love the yard... and so will you! I can't even imagine four kids in an apartment. I know you are anxious to make the move. Are the kids excited about the move? Are they looking forward to being in a new school?

Wow, I can't believe that your upstairs neighbors were so inconsiderate. (Well, I guess I can... there are a lot of rude and inconsiderate people in the world.) Did you ever complain? Seems like the management would have done something about that. Of course, if you knew you were moving soon, you may not have wanted the hassle of confronting the issue.

I hope you and your family love your new area and neighborhood.

Have a great weekend,

Phyllis
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 08:45

BF:

phyllis
well my kids are 4 and 9 months. so the one will be starting kindergarten in the fall, and she is very excited. I think shes tired of me. my sister in law will be putting her kids in a regular daycare( they are 3 and 3 months)when we move, since it will be too far for her to drive. Thank goodness! I was all for helping them out, because moneys really tight for them, but now i wonder what i got myself into!Once we move I'm gonna start looking for a job outside of the home, to try to preserve what little sanity I have left! The good thing about watching them all, though... is now I know I am definitely done having babies. 2 is plenty for me!!! You have a great weekend too! Nice talking to you!
Becky
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 08:54
Registered Member

Plan: modified
Stats: 278/218/190 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi!

I am also from PA, but not near you guys. I am north of Pittsburgh. It is nice to know that there are others in PA LCing also! I never even heard of the areas you all are talking about Hope all is going well. I am in a major stall right now, losing inches but no weight..ick!

Pam