Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-15, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb /CAD/Veg(ish)
Stats: 192/185/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
ccotta--are you on CAD right now? how is it working for you? Are you slowing down as your weight gets closer to goal?

I too want my carbs and fats together--like in the low-carb (but some) cheesecake I have in the oven right now. It has 6 eggs in it, so I'm pretending it is good for me....

I'm trying to bring carbs down, but still avoid problems with insomnia. I think CAD has worked well for that, in that my carbs are all in the evening. And I don't snack anymore, which I think has helped a lot with weight loss--less insulin output during the day.

I am not fully on CAD since I don't balance the RM well. Most days, I try for regular Low Carb (no RM). If I do eat off plan, I take some of the CAD principles though, like the 60 minutes and TRY to balance. Honestly, I need to find one plan to follow and do less experimenting.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-15, 08:06

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I think part of my problem is mixing plans. Also, I tend to pick and choose which rules I'm going to follow. I can't seem to do any one plan 100%. I have more to worry about than weight since I have diabetes and also heart disease. I have to limit the starchy carbs because of the diabetes.

Ccotta, what is meant by "balancing the RM" on CAD?

A woman on another forum is having success with Trim Healthy Mama. I have a hard time understanding the different meals on that one. I need to find somewhere online that explains it in full. I don't want to buy the book. Too much $$$$
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-15, 08:37

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
I think part of my problem is mixing plans. Also, I tend to pick and choose which rules I'm going to follow. I can't seem to do any one plan 100%. I have more to worry about than weight since I have diabetes and also heart disease. I have to limit the starchy carbs because of the diabetes.

Ccotta, what is meant by "balancing the RM" on CAD?

A woman on another forum is having success with Trim Healthy Mama. I have a hard time understanding the different meals on that one. I need to find somewhere online that explains it in full. I don't want to buy the book. Too much $$$$

Fwiw, CALP has been a godsend for me with my many year history of hypertension, prediabetes and afib. I'm now off the bp meds, blood thinner (though now on a baby aspirin a day), and last bg, non-fasting, was normal. Not sure I can remove that label of prediabetic, but I would sure like to
I'll let Ccotta answer the question since it may be different on cad than it is to balance the RM on calp.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-15, 10:09
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
Fwiw, CALP has been a godsend for me with my many year history of hypertension, prediabetes and afib. I'm now off the bp meds, blood thinner (though now on a baby aspirin a day), and last bg, non-fasting, was normal. Not sure I can remove that label of prediabetic, but I would sure like to
I'll let Ccotta answer the question since it may be different on cad than it is to balance the RM on calp.

Well as I remember it (and it has been awhile), CAD just said eat a balanced meal for the RM/reward meal. I think people ended up needing more direction there since it could slow weight-loss if not done well. That's one of my problems. Thus, CALP introduced the idea of thirds and eating a salad first. 1/3 protein, 1/3 carb, 1/3 veggies. If you want more of a carb item, you have to eat the same amt. of the veg and protein too.

I think CAD/CALP is a great option--look at Patricia's progress! But I sometimes struggle with keeping the RM to one meal a day (within 60 minutes to keep insulin down) and often struggle to keep the RM balanced in 1/3's with a salad. I don't like a lot of proteins being vegetarian and I don't like cooking.

Whoever is interested in CAD/CALP should pop over to that forum and get some advice from Patricia and Eno!
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-15, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotta
Well as I remember it (and it has been awhile), CAD just said eat a balanced meal for the RM/reward meal. I think people ended up needing more direction there since it could slow weight-loss if not done well. That's one of my problems. Thus, CALP introduced the idea of thirds and eating a salad first. 1/3 protein, 1/3 carb, 1/3 veggies. If you want more of a carb item, you have to eat the same amt. of the veg and protein too.

I think CAD/CALP is a great option--look at Patricia's progress! But I sometimes struggle with keeping the RM to one meal a day (within 60 minutes to keep insulin down) and often struggle to keep the RM balanced in 1/3's with a salad. I don't like a lot of proteins being vegetarian and I don't like cooking.

Whoever is interested in CAD/CALP should pop over to that forum and get some advice from Patricia and Eno!

Thank you, I highly recommend folks seeing how Eno has successfully been in maintenance on calp for many years! I hope to do as well once I reach my goal.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-15, 13:10

Thanks, guys. From your answers, I think I am more interested in CALP. I would just like to be able to eat a small portion of the starchy carbs I make for DH. I will look around for more info on CALP. Thanks!
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-15, 01:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
Thanks, guys. From your answers, I think I am more interested in CALP. I would just like to be able to eat a small portion of the starchy carbs I make for DH. I will look around for more info on CALP. Thanks!

Although out of print, there are a lot of used and new CALP books on Amazon. The reviews on the book are pretty informative too.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-15, 14:47

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

I'm on a semi-low carb diet as well. I was doing The Zone, but found I could not stick to lower fat. I lost 50lbs twice doing it, but would always fall off because I really enjoy and crave fatter meals. I am now doing Trim Healthy Mama which is low carb, kinda like a mix of Atkins and The Zone. So far I am losing a pound a week. I eat lots of fatty foods and because I don't use sugar, but instead I use a blend of erythritol (a sugar alcohol) and stevia, I can make many non-grain deserts that satisfy my cravings for sweet stuff. For flour I usually use almond flour and/or coconut flour...

Last edited by adnil53 : Sat, Mar-14-15 at 15:00.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-15, 14:58

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotta
I am not fully on CAD since I don't balance the RM well. Most days, I try for regular Low Carb (no RM). If I do eat off plan, I take some of the CAD principles though, like the 60 minutes and TRY to balance. Honestly, I need to find one plan to follow and do less experimenting.

When I was first doing Atkins I was always tweaking it. I too came to the conclusion I just needed to stick to one plan and see it through. After all these years I think I have found the right one for me and it's a keeper! It gives me lots of leeway... if I wish to splurge once in a while, it's ok because I can be back on plan in 3 hours without debilitating cravings. The trick is to only do it occasionally. Surprisingly, I don't feel a need to go off plan very often. With Atkins if I went off plan I would have a very hard time getting back on plan because it would create tremendous cravings.
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-15, 18:09

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi adnil, you sound a lot like me--I also feel much better with more fat in my diet, much more satisfied. I'm no longer terrified of fat! I really like having a low-carb dessert every night. (So far--cheesecake, yogurt and fruit, carrot cake and lemon bars). I'm also losing about a pound a week. Not fast, but I feel good and I'm eating pretty darn well. I really don't feel like I'm missing anything. Pure Atkins was a bit much for me. The interesting thing is that my sweet tooth has adjusted, and now I am happy with much less sweetener. Hope that continues to change!

I started at about 60g of carbs a day, but started having problems with insomnia, so I switched to CAD (which allowed my to get a good dose of carbs in the evening). Now that my body seems to have adjusted better, I have cut back the carbs in the evening also. Not really on any bona-fide plan--I just keep my carbs under about 50g per day, and I don't eat any grain products, minimal sugar (Truvia), little fruit, and try to eat whole, unprocessed foods.
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 16:07

I don't go out of my way to add fat, but I don't eat low fat products. I don't like the skin on chicken, but not because of the fat. And I cut visible fat off my meat. I blot sausage and hamburger patties, but only because I don't like them greasy. When I enter my food on Fit Day there is plenty of naturally occuring fat without adding it. DH prefers pork loin, but I prefer something with more fat marbled through. It renders off in cooking and is just a moister piece of meat.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 17:06

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, I'm that way too. I always trim off fat and blot it. But I think that is from years and years of being conditioned to think that fat will go directly to my thighs, and clog up all my arteries. I'm pretty sure that our ancestors would be fighting over those fat scraps. So I consciously am trying to put on a different mindset about it.

Thank goodness for butter, heavy whipping cream and coconut oil!
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-15, 12:43

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 228/220/175 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi everybody, I am new to this board, but boy could I use some support and help. I am one of those type of people that does not do well when something is taken away from them, even if it is good for them. Back in 2001, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It scared me so much, I went on a strict low calorie diet and in 6 months lost 37 lbs and was in the non-diabetic range. Then the holidays came and my thyroid decided it no longer wanted to work. Long story short, weight went back up a little and I wasn't so scared. A few years later I tried low carb and lost more weight and was able to go off Actos. I actually liked it, but missed, white bread, potatoes etc. so I stopped. Forward to today and my A1c is slowly creeping up and the dr. put me on another pill. I am again trying lower carb and am finding it more difficult than ever. Granted I am trying to stay under 100 g of carbs and to others that may seem a lot, but Every carby thing I eat freaks me out but doesn't stop me. Funny thing is, I really like the food I am making. The sticking point is the special stuff I need to buy to make some of the goodies, and I don't know if I will like it. Thanks for letting me vent, I know I just need to grow up ( I'm 59) and do what is right. I just want it all. LOL
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-15, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbmw
Hi everybody, I am new to this board, but boy could I use some support and help. I am one of those type of people that does not do well when something is taken away from them, even if it is good for them. Back in 2001, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It scared me so much, I went on a strict low calorie diet and in 6 months lost 37 lbs and was in the non-diabetic range. Then the holidays came and my thyroid decided it no longer wanted to work. Long story short, weight went back up a little and I wasn't so scared. A few years later I tried low carb and lost more weight and was able to go off Actos. I actually liked it, but missed, white bread, potatoes etc. so I stopped. Forward to today and my A1c is slowly creeping up and the dr. put me on another pill. I am again trying lower carb and am finding it more difficult than ever. Granted I am trying to stay under 100 g of carbs and to others that may seem a lot, but Every carby thing I eat freaks me out but doesn't stop me. Funny thing is, I really like the food I am making. The sticking point is the special stuff I need to buy to make some of the goodies, and I don't know if I will like it. Thanks for letting me vent, I know I just need to grow up ( I'm 59) and do what is right. I just want it all. LOL

Check out the program I've been using - carbohydrate addict's lifespan program. I am also 59, and it's a way of eating that I love and can do in maintenance as well. I have been pre-diabetic for years, and the reason for not progressing, has been, imo, eating this way.
best wishes to you, sure took me a lot of time to finally get "my self" on board with myself..lol.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-15, 17:03

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 228/220/175 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks, I've heard about that program, but I haven't looked into it yet. I think I will though.