Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 10:56

Plan: CAD
Stats: 168.2/168.2/135.0 Female 65
BF:14
Progress: 0%
Default Eat Fat Get Thin

I was curious to see if anyone has lost weight eating 60 grams of carbs per day as Dr. Barry Grover suggests in his book "Eat Fat Get Thin". I don't find a forum for that diet plan. So, I thought you nice people could tell me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 11:20
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I am on the South Beach diet, and have lost a lot of weight on it eating between 50 - 80 carbs a day, however, it is a lower fat plan, so I haven't lost it whilst eating a large amount of fat.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 15:07
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Weird, 60 is the number I calculated for myself. I got it from the number of calories I'd have to consume on a daily average in order to loose achieve my goal weight by the goal date, divided by 40 (that is to say, 10% of my caloric intake in the form of carbohydrates). Grover's website is the Bomb And A Half (www.second-opinions.co.uk), so guided by meaningful coincidence as I am, I'll have to see if I can get his book.

Last edited by Hybrid : Tue, Oct-25-05 at 16:36.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 15:14

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

60g of carbs is around what you tend to wind up eating on the Atkins plan during maintenance. So I'd say it is a lot better than eating too much carbs. I lost more weight eating fewer carbs than that, but it would depend on how much you have to lose and how big a hurry you are in.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 04:42
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 144/115/115 Female 5ft 2in
BF:35%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%

I lost most of my weight eating around 40g per day, but when I went up to 60 I carried on losing slowly for a while - for me it starts to get a bit more sensitive to calories at that level. Not that I have to starve myself, just exercise a bit of moderation with the cream .

Below about 40g per day I feel jumpy, don't sleep well, can't quite settle or concentrate. I put up with that when I was losing weight because some things were much better than before, and I kept thinking it was just a question of time to adjust. But after several months (and lots of experimentation with potassium, calcium and magnesium) that still hadn't happened. When I started to increase my carbs as I reached maintenance, I felt a lot better. If I go much over 80g or so then I start to get fluid retention, energy crashes etc, so 60g is where I've ended up, because that's where I feel best - it's interesting that Barry Groves came up with that number too. It's pretty close to Life without Bread (72g), and I think Anthony Colpo suggests around 50g (but I think he doesn't believe in ECC, so that would actually be a bit higher, since both Groves and Lutz are in Europe, where fibre isn't included in the carbs on labels).
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 07:56

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know

Strange and interesting listening to everyone's experience. How different they all are!

Thanks for the website Hybrid, I really want to read that in depth later.

I find at below 60 carbs I am dizzy alot when I do yoga or go to the gym (which I like to do...trust me never thought I would say that!!! LOL) So I just watch very closely the kinds of carbs I eat, and never eat them alone. The rest I am still working out for myself.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 07:10

Plan: CAD
Stats: 168.2/168.2/135.0 Female 65
BF:14
Default Can't Seem To Find The Book

Is anyone on the EAT FAT GET THIN???? I've been trying to obtain a copy of "EAT FAT GET THIN" by Barry Groves. It appears the only place you can buy it is on Amazon UK. Does anyone have a copy and where did you purchase it? I've also tried Barnes & Noble, half.com and ebay. No luck with my local libraries either. The Eat Fat Get Thin is mentioned in the "Comparison of Low-Carb Plans" but does not have a support forum.

Mel
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 23:01
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Just a quick question that I couldn't find in the FAQ. Since this thread was moved here, what is the threshhold between "low carb" and "semi-low carb?"
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-05, 23:06

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Here's a possibility..

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2...55169&cid=51798

They'll notify you when they get it.

Hybrid: check your pipe thread in Everything Else
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: Combination
Stats: 235/160/150 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Just a quick question that I couldn't find in the FAQ. Since this thread was moved here, what is the threshhold between "low carb" and "semi-low carb?"

I do not know we can easily fit things into neat categories. It would probably be best to define it more from a metabolic perspective. If a diet is significantly lower in carbs than the amount of glucose being burnt than I would define it as "low carb." This forces the body to use other metabolic pathways to create the glucose the body needs, rather than getting this sugar from the diet. I would define "semi-low carb" as a diet where the body is getting most of the glucose from carbohydrates in food. High carb would be defined as eating more carbohydrates than the glucose one burns.

I think defining it this way makes more sense than trying to put a label based on total grams or percent of calories. Let's think of two different people. One is a 240 pound collegiate wrestler who is very lean and is training heavily to make the Olympics. The other is a 105 pound secretary who is inactive. The proper diet for the wrestler may contain several times the amount of carbs as the secretary and still be considered low carb according to my definition. His diet may contain 150 grams of carb, comprising 10% of calories and be low carb for him. Her diet may contain only 80 grams of carbs, comprising 20% of her diet and be too many carbs for her body. It all depends on a person's activity level and their unique metabolism.