Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/170/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Fat Flush, anyone?

Has anyone tried this diet? It looks good (mostly I like the idea of a bit of a detox before starting to live as a low-carber again), but I can't for the life of me find any unsweetened cranberry juice in the whole of England. Has anyone had any success with this? Can anyone tell me where I might buy the stuff, or direct me to a cranberry tree (bush? vine?) and I'll squeeze the stuff myself!
Thanks. I'm getting a bit desperate to regain control of my life, and this plan is looking good to me...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

see the journal of KoKo
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 09:43

BF:
Progress:
Default re Koko's journal

Thanks Watcher 16. I hate to sound ungrateful, but I went to Koko's journal and... well... there's 588 pages of it!!! Also, from what I read, Koko seems to live in North America. I'm looking for unsweetened cranberry juice in the UK.Cheers!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 10:46

Plan: FAT FLUSH PLAN
Stats: 223.5/149.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi ..I'm on ffp. There is a websit for it specifically.
http://www.annlouise.com/
you can ask all the questions you want. I love it. I was struggling for 2 years. Low carb, body for life, dr phil, weight watchers....nothing moved. I thought it was medical. Then I tried ffp and I've lost so far 15lbs in 2 weeks. And I feel great. Read the book though!!

Kristen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello,
I spent the last 3 weeks on it. Pomegrante juice is recommended for those who are sensitive to cranberry, perhaps you could find that.

I am not staying on FF, though. The food is costly because it is organic, and also, as you mention, things not easily found in the grocery. The supplements are $68/mo not including shipping. The fresh lemons and limes are in addition to my usual shopping. And I already had the flaxseed and psyllium on hand. In order to get the right type of whey protein,you'll probably have to go with FF whey, at considerable extra cost.... and so on.

I found the food almost inedible since you cannot have salt, and even some herbs such as thyme, a big player in my kitchen, are forbidden until the maintainance plan (phase 3). So I am going off of it and I am probably going to create a hybrid of the one and only plan I found livable PLUS good tasting, based on calories http://www.flexweightloss.com. It was started here in Indy, but now I notice they have offices or at least meetings in several other states.

However, I am staying on the cran-water. It is supposed to even out your blood sugar over the day, and I find it pleasant to drink. I had already given up sodas, but FF demands giving up herbal teas too, and I'm going back to those. I never really liked coffee anyway, only drinking it occasionally and only to be sociable. So it is no sacrifice. I like the green leafy veggies, so I'm staying with that too, BUT they will be seasoned with salt and possibly some nitrate-laden meat such as ham.

I don't mind making mayo out of the flaxseed oil, so I'll probably stay with that too. In fact, the whole plan WOULD have worked for me had it not been for the expense and the mondo-bland food. I bought the cookbook along with the plan and I've gone through it several times. Every time I found something I thought might be acceptable, not good, but acceptable, it was on the maintainance plan. I had gotten to the point that I put garlic onions and cayenne on everything ( hot sauces or any other sauces are not permitted on FF) just to impart SOME flavor.

I'm going to keep on staying with a limited carb plan, as I use the FLEX principles for portion control and maintaining your metabolism. (FLEX helps you to get in touch with the emotional reasons why you overeat.) Journalling is good, too. Both FF and FLEX stress that.

I'll let you all know how my made-up plan goes! FLEX has free group support sessions once a month, so I'll be attending those again - just to stay motivated. Plus FF did get me walking again, and my dogs are happy about that. I had only been doing Pilates before, and frankly, Pilates is pretty useless for weight loss purposes, IMO. Lifting weights is the way to go.
Donna
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 05:33

BF:

Sorry you had such a bad time on fat flush, Donna. If you head on over to their website you'll find so many people that have advice and recipes you can use everyday. I, too am econimically challenged. I do not buy organic (except for eggs) but I do clorox bath my fruits and veggies and meats (takes time and no money). I use the spices ALG recommends and actually have no desire for salt anymore. That's a first. It isn't all about weight loss on Fat Flush,but of getting your body (your liver in particular) healthy. Since your liver is responsible for metabolism( amoung loads of other functions it does....read the book) it would make sense to detox your liver and let it function properly (that's why there is certain spices allowed on P1 which is 2 weeks by the way). Anyway....we'll agree to disagree on the subject but one more note on supplements. If you buy your supplements separately, it is way more expensive...trust me...I've done it. And $60 a month is less than most people spend going out to eat in a month. I also believe in lifting weights and have been avid in that endeavor for 7 years. On a last note, it didn't help me shed pounds or inches. Neither did atikins, or body for life, or dr phil, or weight watchers. Fat flush corrected something in my body(I'm sure my liver is thanking me). Good luck in your new plan. Check back often.
Oh..Diggity...we have the same birthday
Kristen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

HI Kristin,

I did go to the FF message boards and you guys were great, helping all you could. I've been on detox programs in the past, and ALG takes most things well beyond those plans in strict control over every single ingredient. I believe that most of it is her own opinion with other nutrition experts disagreeing somewhat. I also think that mostly she is on the right track, but I think you might get to the same place, maybe not as quickly, using a more conservative detox approach. Her plan doesn't even allow me my "detox tea"! (nor my fenugreek& thyme which I keep my sinusitis under control with - now that is a big deal to me).

I've been on body building plans too. I used to be a big Parrillo supplement user. Talk about expensive! And it did help me lose. I had already lost weight when I started at the weight lifting, and the fitness instrtuctor called me, "skinny fat". Lost weight at the expense of muscle. When I went with the increased protein and the weight lifting, suddenly those problem areas under my arms and on my thighs went away and were replace with lean muscle. I guess I didn't lose weight so much as replace fat with muscle. But I was younger then too. Since the hysterectomy, I've been having more trouble losing.

Anyway, I did lose about 10 lbs in the 3 weeks on FF. I was surprised because I had already lost a lot of water just going low carb on Schwartzbein. But I believe I can detox with a less spartan plan too. I wish you well with FF. Keep in touch and we'll compare notes!

Donna
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 21:55

BF:

Deal!!

Kristen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 14:46

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Lauza211: i suggest you purchase the book and you will also get a really economical way to have the unsweetened cranberry juice. There is a recipe in there that uses cranberries(fresh) that you buy in 1lb plastic bags at the grocery store. I buy Oceanspray cranberries and can make enough of the juice(diluted with water) to carry me through just over a week.

Deb
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 07:23

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Deb. I decided just to grin and buy it, and forked out for the expensive juice. I wasn't able to find any frozen berries handy, and I didn't want to delay any more. I've just finished a first read through of the book... what a change if you're used to Atkins the way I am! Having said that, I haven't eaten properly low carb in years, despite knowing it's the only way I feel healthly.
I'm a little over 2 stone overweight (30 pounds). I've been trying to gear myself up for low carb, and have found myself unable to get motivated to eat meat and fat. That's why I'm looking forward to this plan. I just feel too toxic to go straight to a rich diet. I'm worried about how calorie restricted it is though. I haven't watched that in years.
If this plan works for me, and it feels like something I can carry on with for longer, then I'll make a bigger effort to find the frozen fruit. I'll have no choice- I don't want to think bout how much the juice costs!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 06:25

BF:

Hi Laura. Go to the fat flush website. There is so much support there on the forums. All questions and answers you can imagine with a great search tool. It will work for you. If you work the plan. Check out my posts of years pasts. (Under kmac11962 and kmac11968). I was 2 weeks away from seeing an endo who quit possibly would have put me on medication....which I did not want. Then God put this book in my hand and the rest is history. I've lost 17 1/2 lbs in 3 weeks. Everyone has similar results. There are recipe ideas on the website and ways to make this way of eating very simple. I haven't had a problem with any of it. I haven't had a headache in 3 weeks (something I lived with daily for years). Anyway....good luck...take the supplements....they help....go to the unikey website for those. They're cheaper than if you tried to do it yourself.

Happy flushing!
Kristen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 09:53
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I'm finding my FLEX plan (that gives you unlimited options) is winding up looking an awfully lot like FF. I'm still taking the psyllium, drinking cranwater, and using flaxseed whenever possible. I'm stilll soaking the veggies to rid them of pesticides and I never did salt heavily, I just resented having ZERO salt. I don't like coffee and I gave up diet colas long ago. I do, however, use my detox tea - which is suppose to aid in healing the liver, I can't believe ALG forbids it. And I've been having other herbal teas, especially those that are supposed to "rev you up". I still use only stevia as sweetener, and I've made salad dressings of flaxseed oil and lemon drink. I actually like the lemon juice thing for a beverage in the mornings. I guess I might honestly call this a "modified" FF plan. I do have organic cheese about once every 3 days, though. And I've had nothing but organic chicken for about 3 years now. Also I'm trying to stay with "higher order predators" in my fish selection as the bottom feeders are probably mercury-laden. I have not had a bit of nitrate meat in this week and a half, although it is a comfort to know I could if I chose to.

I got into a blouse today that I could not wear just a month ago. I wanted to wear it to a luncheon, so I know the date well. I couldn't fit into it or any other non-knit top. My jeans are loose too. So it would appear that things are going well.

I'm taking the supplements until they are gone, then I don't know. I might continue to get the black current oil GLA, and just find other supplements for the multi-vitamin, multi-mineral. Atkins supplements always worked well for me, even though Atkins diet did not.

Cheers
Donna

Donna
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 15:46

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 192/212/150 Female 5feet3inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigityDew
Hello,
I spent the last 3 weeks on it. Pomegrante juice is recommended for those who are sensitive to cranberry, perhaps you could find that.

I am not staying on FF, though. The food is costly because it is organic, and also, as you mention, things not easily found in the grocery. The supplements are $68/mo not including shipping. The fresh lemons and limes are in addition to my usual shopping. And I already had the flaxseed and psyllium on hand. In order to get the right type of whey protein,you'll probably have to go with FF whey, at considerable extra cost.... and so on.

I found the food almost inedible since you cannot have salt, and even some herbs such as thyme, a big player in my kitchen, are forbidden until the maintainance plan (phase 3). So I am going off of it and I am probably going to create a hybrid of the one and only plan I found livable PLUS good tasting, based on calories http://www.flexweightloss.com. It was started here in Indy, but now I notice they have offices or at least meetings in several other states.

However, I am staying on the cran-water. It is supposed to even out your blood sugar over the day, and I find it pleasant to drink. I had already given up sodas, but FF demands giving up herbal teas too, and I'm going back to those. I never really liked coffee anyway, only drinking it occasionally and only to be sociable. So it is no sacrifice. I like the green leafy veggies, so I'm staying with that too, BUT they will be seasoned with salt and possibly some nitrate-laden meat such as ham.

I don't mind making mayo out of the flaxseed oil, so I'll probably stay with that too. In fact, the whole plan WOULD have worked for me had it not been for the expense and the mondo-bland food. I bought the cookbook along with the plan and I've gone through it several times. Every time I found something I thought might be acceptable, not good, but acceptable, it was on the maintainance plan. I had gotten to the point that I put garlic onions and cayenne on everything ( hot sauces or any other sauces are not permitted on FF) just to impart SOME flavor.

I'm going to keep on staying with a limited carb plan, as I use the FLEX principles for portion control and maintaining your metabolism. (FLEX helps you to get in touch with the emotional reasons why you overeat.) Journalling is good, too. Both FF and FLEX stress that.

I'll let you all know how my made-up plan goes! FLEX has free group support sessions once a month, so I'll be attending those again - just to stay motivated. Plus FF did get me walking again, and my dogs are happy about that. I had only been doing Pilates before, and frankly, Pilates is pretty useless for weight loss purposes, IMO. Lifting weights is the way to go.
Donna

can you tell me the receipe for flax mayo? thanks
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 16:00
Registered Member

BF:

Sure
In the blender put

1 egg (I coddle mine - 1 min in boiling water before cracking) but it isn't necessary
1/2 T. dry mustard. or (more likely for me a squirt of prepared mustard, any but sweetened)
Keeping the blender going, drizzle in 1/2-1 cup flax oil (or more sometimes). If it breaks down, start with a new egg and use the stuff you already "made" for oil, adding additional oil if necessary.
Add 1 t. lemon juice at the end.

Some people add sweetener too, but I don't. I never did care for "Salad dressing" that is thick like mayo, preferring the regular mayonaise, but there is nothing wrong with adding some stevia or sweetener allowed on your plan if you like it.

The stuff will thicken a LOT when you add the lemon juice.

Variations:
Add garlic & parsley to beginning mixture My mother is fond of this, and it is the basis for some french sauces.
Make out of 1/2 flaxseed, 1/2 olive oil
Add tomato paste, sweetener and pickles for "Thousand Island dressing"
You get the idea

Believe it or not, you can substitute about 1/4 c. of blanched peeled raw almonds for the egg, add nutritional yeast and you have a great mano. Probably not FF, but great.

All you are doing is creating an emulsion. The variety is endless.
Donna
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 10:54
Registered Member

BF:

YooWhoo Kristin, ARe you there??? I got into some more blouses today, besides the one mentioned above. Yay~! But I skipped my vitamins and had a sleepless night last night. And I have the stiff neck to proove it. I was probably missing the B's.
Donna