Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 17:30

Plan: LeanGains
Stats: 226/192/180 Female 68 inches
BF:??/??/??
Progress: 74%
Default Low carb ice cream, custard base

I saw a couple of recipes similar to this, and I debated popping them back up to the top versus posting a new thread, but then when I read those recipes, I realised that they were very different from mine. So here goes:

1 cups unsweetened soy milk
3 cups heavy cream
1/4 cups Splenda
6 egg yolks
pinch salt

Before doing anything, get out two metal bowls. Fill one with a tray of ice and a couple of cups of cold water. Set the other one in it. Set a strainer on top.

Heat soymilk and heavy cream in a saucepan. While this is heating, whisk the Splenda with the egg yolks.

When the soymilk/cream mixture reaches 175F, turn off the heat and scoop out half a cup. Slowly dribble this into the egg mixture, whisking while you do so. Do this 2-3 more times, then move your whisk to the pan and while you stir, dribble the egg mixture back into your saucepan. Keep stirring this until it reaches about 185F. The custard should "coat the back of a spoon."

Pour the custard base through your strainer and into the chilled bowl. Remove the strainer and whisk some more until the mixture feels cool. Pour this off into a COVERED plastic container and refrigerate until it chills to at least 40F. When it's cold enough, pour it into your ice cream maker.

Some notes about this:

- Yes, it's fussy. But it will produce the best ice cream you've ever had. It's a custard base, and youtube is full of videos for how to make custard bases. It seems like a lot of extra work, but if you make it as often as I do, you can turn out a credible custard base in your sleep.

- Don't store it for more than a day. Because it has a high fat content, it needs to be covered tightly for storage. Can't stress this enough.

- An ice cream maker is one of the best tools you can have to stay on your WOE. You think maybe you won't use it. You will.

- If you plan to store what you don't eat in the freezer, make sure you cover it tightly. The high fat content will absorb flavors you didn't even know your freezer had.

Options for flavoring:

1. Matcha powder. Produces green tea ice cream. Omit salt. Add 1 tablespoon to the egg & Splenda mixture during beating.

2. Coffee, almond extract and cinnamon. About 1tbsp coffee powder, 1/2 tsp or less almond extract and a few pinches of cinnamon added to the egg & Splenda mixture during beating. Serve covered with toasted almond bits.

3. Chocolate. Add 3-4 tbsp to the hot liquid before adding eggs and stir like mad.

4. Vanilla bean. Makes 'French Vanilla' style custard. Split open the pod and scrape the innards into the heating liquid. Drop the pod in, too.

One I have never tried but keep meaning to: peppermint extract and crushed SF peppermints. SF candy gives me GI troubles, but peppermint ice cream has always been my favorite... on some rare occasion, I will attempt it.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 19:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Sounds yummy, I think that this would be good for 4th of July during our family get together. Can you substitute anything for the soy? We have some family that does not do soy.

I Love custard!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 19:43

Plan: LeanGains
Stats: 226/192/180 Female 68 inches
BF:??/??/??
Progress: 74%

You can use 4 cups of cream. I prefer the custard to be a bit lighter, so I cut it with the soy. It adds about 4-5 carbs, depending on what brand you believe.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I wonder if I could just add water instead of soy or would that make it icy?

When I make hidden valley ranch, I use 1/2 cup HWC and 1/2 water along with the mayo and it works fine.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-10, 09:39
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Mmm. Been looking for a cooked ice cream custard base. Thanks so much for posting this!