Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 10:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

yup. Im thick and wide. Heavy bones. Solid muscle. Swedish genes showing. My sister is same height...and that is all we have in common.lol
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 03:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Coronavirus has exposed a brutal truth - we have become the fat man of Europe

The GP and diet doctor David Unwin says coronavirus has cruelly exposed the soaring cases of obesity in Britain

Even prior to the arrival of Covid-19 in Britain we were engulfed by the twin epidemics of obesity and diabetes, weakening people and their immune system.

The coronavirus outbreak has exploited this to shocking effect. A recent study of the outcomes of 16,749 patients hospitalised in Britain with Covid-19 showed people who had a body mass index greater than 30 were 37 per cent more likely to die.

Notwithstanding his own experience in intensive care, these are the figures that are frightening Prime Minister Boris Johnson into action. It is long overdue.

I’ve been a GP in Southport looking after a population size of around 9,000 patients since 1986. In that time I’ve seen a more than nine fold increase in the number of people with type 2 diabetes, rising from 56 to 530.

If there is a positive to come out of this appalling pandemic it is my hope the nation can wake up to the dangers of obesity. We have become the fat man of Europe and that is to our shame.

Lockdown can provide the chance for us all to revisit our health goals. Let’s buy better quality, fresh food, fewer takeaways and snack less! It is an opportunity for families to cook and eat healthy meals together. That old excuse of not having enough time suddenly no longer washes.

My top weight loss tip during lockdown would be to cut out not just sugar but also the starchy carbs that digest down into sugar, in foods like bread, pasta, breakfast cereals or rice. Alcohol is still okay, if drunk in moderation, but I encourage my patients to switch from high sugar drinks like beer and cider to dry wine instead.

Exercise is of course important and in particular exercising outdoors as sunlight on the skin turns cholesterol into vitamin D. But changing your diet makes the most difference to weight.

We have to offer constructive advice and support. I have written the foreword to the newly-published Reverse Your Diabetes Cookbook, while there is an NHS approved Low Carb App produced by Diabetes.co.uk which is also very useful.

In my practise I don’t tell people they are fat. If you are overweight you know that already, instead I offer them help. And it works. Over the past seven years 302 patients have adopted my advice to cut sugar, snacks and starchy carbs. In the process they have lost more than three metric tonnes in weight.

This should be a national priority not least as maybe we will never find a vaccine for Covid-19. By making these changes we are helping protect ourselves against a whole host of diseases and finally fighting an epidemic that has been in our midst for too long.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...fat-man-europe/
  #123   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 04:51

BF:

Dr Aseem Malhotra being interviewed on RT TV

Quote:
UK Doctor Explains All on TV - Boris Johnson, Obesity, Diabetes and our Viral Issue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYB...eature=youtu.be
  #124   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 06:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

I feel very fortunate to have discovered this all for myself and turned my life around in the process. My hope is that someday eating low carb whole foods becomes common practice based on science and common sense.
  #125   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 07:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I feel very fortunate to have discovered this all for myself and turned my life around in the process. My hope is that someday eating low carb whole foods becomes common practice based on science and common sense.

And likely could more closely resemble how people used to eat years ago . . . . . . Funny how we forget that our eating habits over a short period since the 70s have become very different from how we used to eat for many years.
  #126   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 09:12

BF:

Watched a bit of dr Lustig last night. Thought one of his studies might be useful as we that are still obese have concerns....

All the relevent markers for blood health improved, without change in body weight when soda/sugar was removed from the diet and replaced with starch. As intersting was the study ran for ten days. Kids given a scale, weighed each day and got a phone call. If weight dropped, told to eat more starchy food.

Seems to me, changing our diet asap starts to improve its metabolic function very quickly, certainly measurable changes within ten days, without weight loss.

Interested in others thoughts.
  #127   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 09:58

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
And likely could more closely resemble how people used to eat years ago . . . . . . Funny how we forget that our eating habits over a short period since the 70s have become very different from how we used to eat for many years.

Before I started low carb I vowed to eat more protein (based on the Brewer Diet which was important to me during my pregnancy). We started making 1950s style meals - meat, vegetable, starch. NOTHING I ever did - not even low carb - did as much to improve my health. I went from eating absolute crap lentil stews and stir fries and only eating meat at restaurants to eating basically diner early bird specials (but homecooked). Low carb only built on that. It was huge.
  #128   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 04:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
We started making 1950s style meals - meat, vegetable, starch. NOTHING I ever did - not even low carb - did as much to improve my health.

I was a child when the Four Food Groups was still recommended. That's how we ate, all three meals.
  #129   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 10:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I was a child when the Four Food Groups was still recommended. That's how we ate, all three meals.

My mom cooked like this. She worked part time and alway made from scratch meals, well mostly. I remember packaged fish sticks and french fries occasdionally. No take out. no pizza. no MacD. Potatoes at every dinner. No dessert after meals. No sweets in brown bag lunch. no soda.

That was the 1970''s. Mother is now 85 and other than very early stage cancers, no heart disease, weight back to within 5 pounds of marrying weight.

Eats all good homemade food, cooking for one.
I learned to cook. My kids learning to cook.

Youngest making homefries from home grown potatoes to go with bacon and eggs......breakfast at noon.lol
  #130   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 10:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

That's how we ate too in the 50's and 60's. Meat or fish, veggie, starch, fruit for dessert. No soda ever. No take out. A few times a year we went out to eat. It was a big deal when it happened.
  #131   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 10:26

BF:

yes, it was a big deal to eat at a restaurant. Had to dress up.

As a teen I loved baking.... it was the eating of the cakes and cookies. Coulnt eat only one. Could eat a whole cake. I have often wondered why I am so affected this way...... one son can just walk away from sweets..... and I think, how is he different... ?

Sweets are a rare treat now. Weekends, maybe.
  #132   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 01:51

BF:

Quote:
How diet may have saved Matt Hancock: Health Secretary shed weight during 2019 election campaign... and doctor suggests it was a key factor in his recovery from coronavirus
  • GP David Unwin said Matt Hancock lost 10lb last year by cutting down on carbs
  • He said losing weight may have helped Mr Hancock to recover from coronavirus
  • Research has found that obesity doubles the risk of needing hospital treatment

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tt-Hancock.html
  #133   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 02:26

BF:

Quote:
'Public health revolution' needed to combat 'root cause' of Covid-19 deaths

Matt Hancock asks leading anti-obesity expert to advise on links between obesity and the coronavirus to help form Government policy

Health Secretary Matt Hancock needs to launch a "public health revolution" to combat metabolic syndrome - a root cause of so many people in the UK dying from Covid-19, according to a leading anti-obesity expert.

Dr Aseem Malhotra, a London-based cardiologist who the Health Secretary asked to advise him on the links between ill health, obesity and the coronavirus, has written to Mr Hancock saying there is a "huge lack of awareness" among the public and scientific community about the role poor metabolic health is playing in the pandemic. It is also "likely" to be the most significant factor as to why those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds are disproportionately affected by Covid-19, he said.

Metabolic syndrome is the medical term for a combination of diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. It affects an estimated 1 in 3 older adults aged 50 or above in the UK and puts those affected at greater risk of getting coronary heart disease, stroke and other conditions that affect the blood vessels. These adverse risk markers are at least twice as prevalent in ethnic minorities: approximately 20 per cent of Caucasians of normal weight are metabolically unhealthy versus 43.6 per cent of south Asians.

"Metabolic syndrome, driven by excess body fat as a root cause is a much bigger problem than obesity," Dr Maholtra writes in his letter to Mr Hancock. "Data from around the world especially in the United States and UK have shown an increased risk between being obese, having a BMI [Body Mass Index] over 30 and both hospital admission and risk of death from Covid-19.

"But what is missing, which I would describe as the elephant in the room, is that a significant proportion of the population have excess body fat being both overweight and of normal BMI. It's estimated that 80 per cent of UK adults are overfat. This is directly linked to the metabolic syndrome that the CDC [US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] has stated may increase risk of dying from Covid-19 by 10 fold."

Overfat refers to an excessive amount of body fat in various areas that can impair health and even applies to individuals who, according to the BMI scale, could be considered of "normal" weight.

"There is a huge lack of awareness of this amongst the public health and scientific community," Dr Malhotra wrote. "I am therefore very concerned that metabolic health is not being properly measured."

Recommendations

Dr Malhotra calls for several new dietary and lifestyle policies to reduce metabolic syndrome, such as: increasing the price of ultra processed food food through a levy or tax and use the money to subsidise healthier foods; ban advertising of all ultra-processed food and drink, including banning the sale of such items in hospitals; and the launch of a public education campaign that such foods are toxic to health and their consumption should be avoided/minimised as much as possible.

"In no circumstances should whole foods or essential macronutrients be taxed. That means no to a meat tax and no to a fat tax," he told i. "We should also ensure that diet guidelines are made by independent experts and scientists with no institutional or financial links to the food industry. That means ditching the current eat well guide that as one eminent obesity researcher has described as being created for food industry wealth, not health.

"This could have a profound effect on population health within a few years and change the course of our nation's health forever. In my view there’s no better time politically to start a public health revolution.

Mr Hancock replied to Dr Malhotra on Monday thanking him for the advice and saying he wanted to use it to help support the Government's work on tackling obesity.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/cor...-deaths-2857159
  #134   ^
Old Tue, May-19-20, 14:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Dr Malhotra calls for several new dietary and lifestyle policies to reduce metabolic syndrome, such as: increasing the price of ultra processed food food through a levy or tax and use the money to subsidise healthier foods; ban advertising of all ultra-processed food and drink, including banning the sale of such items in hospitals; and the launch of a public education campaign that such foods are toxic to health and their consumption should be avoided/minimised as much as possible.

"In no circumstances should whole foods or essential macronutrients be taxed. That means no to a meat tax and no to a fat tax," he told i. "We should also ensure that diet guidelines are made by independent experts and scientists with no institutional or financial links to the food industry. That means ditching the current eat well guide that as one eminent obesity researcher has described as being created for food industry wealth, not health."

It's a good idea overall. The rub possibly comes from the disagreement over what constitutes healthy whole foods. Fat is an essential macronutrient, but not everyone sees it the same way. Will certain factions want saturated fatty foods like red meats taxed, PUFAs from seeds emphasized? We shall see . . . . . .
  #135   ^
Old Wed, May-20-20, 00:25

BF:

One third of all Covid-19 deaths in England have been among diabetics

Charities have said people with diabetes must be allowed to work from home or be put on furlough if their jobs put them at risk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...mong-diabetics/