Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 19:28

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Just got my BG checked

Hi. Dennis here.

I got my HbA1C the other day. I wanted to do a fasting Bg but they wouldn't do it or check my meter for accuracy.

The A1C was 4.9 which is quite an improvement over the 8.2 I had in Nov.

I do believe it would have been lower but it covers a month and 1/2 when I wasn't doing the fasting as well as this last month and 1/2 or so of every other day fasting. I'm convinced it would have been a 4.3 if it was just this last month.

I went to the other doctor at my local office (not the one who told me last Nov. its next to imposible to lower BG with diet and excercise -- figured that was a lost cause.) The nurse/ assistant asked "are you still taking your metformain and statin drugs?" I replied that I had never started them. She asked why not as the doctor and prescribed them. I told her I was giving diet and excercise and lifestyle change a chance. She looked very confused. Dr.s offices are used to people taking the drugs without question.

It was refreshing to hear the doctor (who really likes to push the drugs in my experience) say he'd been wrong these last several years and be postive about fasting in regards to weight loss, diabetes and general health. I was surprised. He said they just weren't trained in med. school about nutrition etc. and the complexity of variables at play. All they learned was a static chart of calories burned etc. He said he's been reading articles on IF and was very intriqued. I was relieved about that -- when I told him that I skipped breakfast everyday and fasted every other day as I thought he might chew me out. He would of a year or two ago. That was kind of neat and I appreciated him saying he was wrong.

He said I only needed an HbA1C twice a year instead of the three month schedule for new diabetics.

I did disagree wtih him on a couple of things. First he doesn't think you need to check BG at home wtih a meter very often. While I think you can become obsessive (like weighing yourself) I would agree with Bernstein that it gives you nice feedback on the foods you eat. Also he said blood pressure should be 120/80 all the time even after excercise -- In my view that might be a bit unrealistic as one ages -- but hey it was still good not to be chewed out for trying diet and nutrition.

Last edited by Whited : Fri, Mar-13-15 at 08:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 19:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Congratulations. That is really awesome. You must be really exited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
She looked very confused. Dr.s offices are used to people taking the drugs without question.

Hmm, maybe she think just in general that everyone does what doctors tell them to do or at least they should. IMHO there's a lot of MBA style propaganda going around about "evidence based" where lay people have convinced themselves that Dr's are always right. I don't even think most Dr's think they are always right.

Quote:
That was kind of neat and I appreciated him saying he was wrong.

The beginnings of wisdom.....

Quote:
Also he said blood pressure should be 120/80 all the time even after exercise -- In my view that might be a bit unrealistic as one ages -- but hey it was still good not to be chewed out for trying diet and nutrition.

Well, as long as were talking about it, a month ago I had to visit the Dr and mine was...... 120/60. Not bad for a guy in his late 40's who doesn't like regular exercise!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 19:52

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

[Well, as long as were talking about it, a month ago I had to visit the Dr and mine was...... 120/60. Not bad for a guy in his late 40's who doesn't like regular exercise![/QUOTE]

Not bad for ANYONE at any age -- that's great
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-15, 04:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dennis, that is a HUGE improvement for your A1c in only four months. 4.9 is perfect! How encouraging to have that doctor be open now to low carb and fasting, after that first diabetes "educator" conversation in your Intro post! And congratulations to you for following both LC and IF and having all good results. Amazing progress on your weight loss too

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-13-15 at 04:39.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-15, 05:18

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yes, it's nice to see the a1c drop like that. Mind hasn't moved since I sarted paying attention, at least six years now. I've just fasted for 48 hours and will go the rest of the day till dinner. This morning bg was nice at 86, yesterday at 24 hour fast it read 104. Tonight and the weekend I will have some alcohol, this will bump it down.

Re, your physicians. The ketogenic news is really spreading, we,re like lucky to be living today
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-15, 06:56

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Wow. Quite a turnaround. For you and the Doctor. I guess Missouri's still the "show me" state.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 05:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
Hi. Dennis here.

I got my HbA1C the other day. I wanted to do a fasting Bg but they wouldn't do it or check my meter for accuracy.

The A1C was 4.9 which is quite an improvement over the 8.2 I had in Nov.

I do believe it would have been lower but it covers a month and 1/2 when I wasn't doing the fasting as well as this last month and 1/2 or so of every other day fasting. I'm convinced it would have been a 4.3 if it was just this last month.

I went to the other doctor at my local office (not the one who told me last Nov. its next to imposible to lower BG with diet and excercise -- figured that was a lost cause.) The nurse/ assistant asked "are you still taking your metformain and statin drugs?" I replied that I had never started them. She asked why not as the doctor and prescribed them. I told her I was giving diet and excercise and lifestyle change a chance. She looked very confused. Dr.s offices are used to people taking the drugs without question.

It was refreshing to hear the doctor (who really likes to push the drugs in my experience) say he'd been wrong these last several years and be postive about fasting in regards to weight loss, diabetes and general health. I was surprised. He said they just weren't trained in med. school about nutrition etc. and the complexity of variables at play. All they learned was a static chart of calories burned etc. He said he's been reading articles on IF and was very intriqued. I was relieved about that -- when I told him that I skipped breakfast everyday and fasted every other day as I thought he might chew me out. He would of a year or two ago. That was kind of neat and I appreciated him saying he was wrong.

He said I only needed an HbA1C twice a year instead of the three month schedule for new diabetics.

I did disagree wtih him on a couple of things. First he doesn't think you need to check BG at home wtih a meter very often. While I think you can become obsessive (like weighing yourself) I would agree with Bernstein that it gives you nice feedback on the foods you eat. Also he said blood pressure should be 120/80 all the time even after excercise -- In my view that might be a bit unrealistic as one ages -- but hey it was still good not to be chewed out for trying diet and nutrition.

Congratulations.

Since I am a bariatric post op patient now 16 months and maintaining my weight in the 190s and taking no meds with an A1C of high 5s, I think the whole concept of Interim Fasting deserves some attention.

I am going to read up more on it and try it out. I am never hungry anymore so I should be able to do this. The only thing I would be concerned about is making sure I get my daily protein of 80 to 90 grams per day; an important parameter for post op bariatricd.

I will start learning today about IF.

Thanks,

Ralph