Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 06:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Low carb and building muscle

Question: I started resistance training last night. Lunges, squats, calf raises, sit ups etc. In the past when I have recommenced such work the following day is hell. Walking up and specially down stairs is a killer. I worked hard last night. "felt the burn", stretched big time, drank plenty of water. I was tender right after the work out (that has NEVER happened before) and I was worried that since I was so tender RIGHT after, what was today going to be like *ouch*. It turns out its better. I managed a 35 minute workout this morning (aerobic), the stairs were no problem, I can feel that i've worked out, dont get me wrong. But I dont HURT. Does it make sense that because I am now eating 3 or 4 times more protein than I did when I was on low fat that the process has accelerated?

Just curious.

thx,
Nat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 12:15

BF:
Default aha!

Answered my own question today. For those of you interested...

Quote:
Flax Seed Oil
Flax Seed Oil shortens recovery time for fatigued muscles after exertion and increases the body’s production of energy and also increases stamina. It stimulates brown fat cells and increases the metabolic rate making it easier to burn off fat. The dietary essential fatty acids common to Flax Seed Oil are converted by the body to Prostaglandin's (a hormone like substance) which are important for regulating the following: Steroid Production & hormone synthesis.

yay me.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%

I read your first post and I did not have an answer but thank you for posting your findings! I find it very helpful!

Take care!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 23:46

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

that's interesting, thanks nat.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 03:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Thanks Nat

Right. Next time I go shopping: Item 1 go look for Flax seed oil.

Don't fancy drinking ... or sipping it either. Stomach churned everytime I read other members mention it but ... I am sure once it's in my house I'll find some creative way of using it. Might help with my 2 hr dance sessions.

Thanks Nat.
Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 05:23

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default flax

It works well as a base for salad dressings, and when I do use it, I often just add it to my blender-made protein drinks.

Just be sure to buy it, and keep it refridgerated. And do NOT use it to cook/fry with. Baking is OK, but results are kinda funky.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 08:07

BF:
Default flax

It goes great on salad when you're using olive oil (I actually started using 1/3 cup of it in place of olive oil in my dijon vinagrette). also, try the ground flaxseed for breakfast, Fiona. With some butter and cinammon its quite good.

Nat