Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-14, 21:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:
Default do you feel resurrected?

I don't mean a religious connotation, but resurrected in the general sense -- but spiritual too I guess.

I think about where I was at a few low points in my life 10, 12 years ago, before committing to LC and also realizing how so many supposedly "healthy" foods were so wrong for me.

I was in bad shape and didn't even know it at the time. If I'd continued on that path -- I don't think I'd (a) be here today and (b) be actively pursuing goals and plans that are important to me with a renewed life purpose.

I grieve for those lost years, maybe too much? Thinking more lately about how I want to focus on gratitude that I was able to come back to life.

I think people who haven't been there don't realize how dire it was (I don't think I even realized it at the time due to denial) -- and how dramatic it is for some of us to take a turn and choose this new WOE for betterment of our whole lives.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 07:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Absolutely!

My a-ha moment was when, after my mother had begun recovering from yet another diabetes-complication hospitalization, I had found out she had lost a lot of weight in the process of nearly losing her life. She weighed less than me. For the first time ever. And I admit, petty snot that I am, that bothered me. I began to look at how closely I was following her path. I was pushing 260 again, after giving up on the LC diet AGAIN and regaining all my hard won losses, because I thought I could HAVE A LITTLE and deserved a treat here and there. Right....got a bridge in Antarctica to sell ya, Jess! I "little bit"'ed myself back all the weight.

If I kept on, I would end up a very obese diabetic, bedridden, with my Hubs having to change my diapers! Heck-to-the-NO! I wasn't about to let that happen. So I made the decision that I was done with my addiction for life, because my children deserved more from me.

I haven't cheated once. I very seldom suffer from depression anymore where I used to struggle. For the first time, I really do have hope and I KNOW I can do this. I'm getting fit. I'm happy and energetic. I'm driven and determined. And entirely new person than what I had become. The old me did die, and the person I once was has been resurrected.

Not the simple answer you might have wanted, but I do tend to be verbose and I apologize for that.

I am sad at all the time I wasted. Sad about how I have ruined my body...I won't ever be able to wear a bikini. I spent years living a half-life. Not really living at all. I was a bad example for the kids, and my Hubs had to live with "that person." But I'm not going to dwell on that. I have so much life left to live this new way. I'm grateful I figured it out in time. I'm 35, my metabolism isn't getting any younger. I have so much to look forward to; I'm not going to look backward. My life is the other way.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 08:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
I don't mean a religious connotation, but resurrected in the general sense -- but spiritual too I guess.

I think about where I was at a few low points in my life 10, 12 years ago, before committing to LC and also realizing how so many supposedly "healthy" foods were so wrong for me.

I was in bad shape and didn't even know it at the time. If I'd continued on that path -- I don't think I'd (a) be here today and (b) be actively pursuing goals and plans that are important to me with a renewed life purpose.

I grieve for those lost years, maybe too much? Thinking more lately about how I want to focus on gratitude that I was able to come back to life.

I think people who haven't been there don't realize how dire it was (I don't think I even realized it at the time due to denial) -- and how dramatic it is for some of us to take a turn and choose this new WOE for betterment of our whole lives.

I hate looking back at my wasted years of being fat, arthritic, I suffered with IBS, eczema and was always tired and miserable. A big slow lump. From the age of about 22 - til 39 I yoyo dieted, I'd lose weight, only to pile it back on again.

I get really angry that HFLC was considered bad, so I didnt try it - well not til I was 39. It makes me angry now that so many people could be "resurrected", but the medical profession prefer to blame them, lecture them on will power, exercise and dish out pills, rather than dare to suggest HFLC

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 08:20

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I hate looking back at my wasted years of being fat, arthritic, I suffered with IBS, eczema and was always tired and miserable. A big slow lump. From the age of about 22 - til 39 I yoyo dieted, I'd lose weight, only to pile it back on again.

I get really angry that HFLC was considered bad, so I didnt try it - well not til I was 39. It makes me angry now that so many people could be "resurrected", but the medical profession prefer to blame them, lecture them on will power, exercise and dish out pills, rather than dare to suggest HFLC

Jo xxx

It's a shame. They were wrong, so it's OUR fault. Stellar logic...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 16:43

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

For me, lc was the icing on the cake of my resurrection. (Gosh, that was a really bad metaphor). I had other lessons to learn first, like cutting lose from a marriage that was sucking the lifeforce right out of me, then learning how to survive without much in the way of marketable skills until going back to college, years older than everyone else. When I finally started earning a livable wage, I treated money with respect, for the first time really, and learned how to never again get into debilitating debt. After all that, I stumbled across low carb and good nutrition, and it put the finishing touches on a new and much improved me. I don't think any of those years were wasted, but I wish they hadn't been quite so challenging. The important thing is that, like the rest of you, I got here in the end.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 17:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
The important thing is that, like the rest of you, I got here in the end.

That's the thing....

and for me, the lessons I learn hardest are the ones I learn best.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 17:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

This is a really interesting thread for the differing life changes we've endured.

I consider myself resurrected, I guess you could say, but I don't really have any regrets for wasted time. I mean, I guess it might have been nice to have been raised by paleo parents and perhaps never gone through depression or the years of starvation dieting because I didn't know better, but I've been happy and grateful since day one of LC to just be full. Twelve years later, and I still get excited to have real scrambled eggs in butter instead of egg whites with Pam. It's still awesome to me. I guess I feel blessed that it wasn't worse - and it really, really could have been.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 17:42
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I finally "got here" too after a gazillion attempts at successfully losing the weight (100s of pounds over the years) and gaining it all back countless times.

This time around, something finally "clicked" for me mind, body and soul that I would never again be a carb eater like those other people. Don't know when that happened but it finally did and I am eternally grateful.

I can't do anything about the wasted years of yo-yo dieting thru the majority of my life. I've learned a lot about myself from those failed attempts and the success I have now and here are a few of those pearls of wisdom I learned about myself:

1) I am a recovering morbidly obese carb addict
2) I am totally responsible for what I eat and don't eat
3) I have huge portion and self control issues when it comes to food
4) Eating once a day is a life saver since I like a large portion of food and this works beautifully for me

I could go on and on... sorry...