Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 19:38

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Blaming every ailment on obesity

I know doctors tend to do this, but, and maybe I'm just too brain washed by my chosen field of study, I find I'm doing it too.

I tripped in on the sidewalk outside my house and managed to injure both my ankles. One turned when I stumbled on an uneven patch causing the trip in the first place, and, I don't know, I guess the other was bent at an awkward angle in the fall because it hurts even worse!
It really, really hurt and I had trouble getting up, so a neighbor who was getting out of his car helped me.
I'm icing my swollen ankles, will take them to the doc if I'm still having trouble walking without pain tomorrow, but I keep thinking that I wouldn't have gotten hurt if I didn't weigh so much, and I felt so awkward about my neighbor having to help hoist my 245 lb butt off the ground!

However, the rational part of me also says that anyone can get injured in a fall because accidents happen...ugh, emotional issues!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 20:42
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

When I was 175 highly athelitic when I was younger. Between junior and high school, I had sprained my ankles 10 different times, so bad I was either in an air cast, normal cast or on crutches wrapped banddage.

Can added weight make the injury worse? Yes of course. But the simple act of spraining an ankle is there for skinny and heavy people a like.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 05:41

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

My work college is currently waiting for an op on his foot because of a small eversion injury while out walking. His vmi is about 23.

Accidents happen, they suck, but they happen.

Yes being overweight might have made is slightly worse, but what people fail to tell you is that your body is used to carrying the extra weight so the supporting muscles are normally stronger.

Your recovery may take a bit longer, but not by much. You are doing the best thing for yourself by getting on with losing the weight, so don't get hung up about this :-)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 06:56

Plan: LC with CO
Stats: 479.6/475/299 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Having someone help you up is the worst!!! I fell on a cruise ship a few years ago and my 110 pound friend tried to help me up. I was in so much pain, but I was mostly embarrassed...especially with all the people crowding around. While anyone at any size could have fallen, it was my fat ass that did it. And it just seems like people were looking at the fatty laying on the ground who fell. Were they thinking that? Probably not...but I felt like it.

I hope your ankles heal quickly. I've got permanent cankles from all the sprains I did to my ankles as a kid/teen.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 08:46

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I once tore my achilles tendon playing tennis, and at the time I was NOT (still am not) petite by any means. Went to the doctor about it and he actually did not believe me when I told him how I hurt it - he clearly assumed that someone at my weight was NOT playing tennis, so I was lying to him. REALLY?! It took a while but I finally convinced him, but his treatment of my injury was a joke, he never took it seriously and then blamed me/my weight when it took a very long time to heal. He was one of those guys that if I came into his office with an arrow sticking out of my chest he would have said, "Ya know, you only have that because you're overweight."

All that to say, no matter what you do some people (including unfortunately ourselves) will blame weight for anything/everything/totally ridiculous things. We just have to learn to say no to that. Needless to say I changed docs! And am still trying to be kinder to myself on such thinking. If I pull a muscle or get a kink in a knee, I know my superfit, size-nothing friends do the same thing. Oh well.. part of life.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 14:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJess
Having someone help you up is the worst!!! I fell on a cruise ship a few years ago and my 110 pound friend tried to help me up. I was in so much pain, but I was mostly embarrassed...especially with all the people crowding around. While anyone at any size could have fallen, it was my fat ass that did it. And it just seems like people were looking at the fatty laying on the ground who fell. Were they thinking that? Probably not...but I felt like it.

IKR?!

Most people have been really helpful. Along with the guy last night, a girl on campus helped me when I was struggling to adjust the height on one of my crutches while balancing on the other one, and as I was walking up the wheelchair ramp at the building work a guy waited and held the door for me even though it was a long ramp and I was no where near the top.

It's heart warming, really, but narcissist that I am, I worry about falling and what I look like jiggling around on the crutches!
We really are SO wrapped up in putting ourselves down that in a way we become shallow people ourselves.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 14:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairballz
He was one of those guys that if I came into his office with an arrow sticking out of my chest he would have said, "Ya know, you only have that because you're overweight."

LOL! Well now, I suppose you might be a more challenging target to hit if you were smaller!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 14:39

BF:

Lovinita, Jaywood, and Hairballz,

Thanks guys.
I know it's possible that my weight contributed to the injury as I fell, but, then again, maybe I would have hurt myself just as badly if I'd been thin. I too know plenty of thin people who have been injured in falls...worse that I was actually.
Ultimately, though, it's pointless to dwell on that because there's no way of knowing if it would not have been as bad if I weighed less because, unfortunately, I don't.
Ah well, hopefully that will change.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 14:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

It's worse if you're fat and thinking that people think you're drunk. A few winters back we stopped at the library. We were late getting somewhere & in my haste to exit the car I didn't notice that my purse strap had gotten wrapped around one foot. I managed to avoid landing on my head, but my whole right arm was soaked from the slush.

The way people walking by stopped & stared was VERY embarrassing.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 16:30

BF:

I'll take people thinking I'm drunk over thinking I look like a beached whale any day!
But, I live in a college town, so seeing someone walking home after having a few isn't really that rare on weekends.