Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-11, 09:17
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindapnw
Lisa, Where did you get your Lemon Cheesecake Mousse recipe? Your menu sounds delicious.

Me?

The recipe is one of my own and can be found here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=404807
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/151/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

Thankyou Lisa. I'd like to try that one. Lindapnw
  #138   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 16:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default You're not bored, you're missing something.

I think boredom is a very misapplied word when it comes to lots of things. I've thought that a long time about eating and I heard someone explain how people misapply the word when it comes to their relationships too.

I always had a feeling of missing the old food. There might be a delicious steak sitting in front of me but where was the potato, bread, and everything else I couldn't eat. Was it really boring? Or was I just feeling a longing for things I once ate all the time?

The whole notion of "never again" was also very difficult to grapple with. I went through a phase where I thought, "there's nothing left to eat", which was utter BS. If I had eight spices, eight varieties of meat and eight vegetables I could have 512 different combinations of flavors and experiences. In reality, I have access to loads more than that, plus eggs, lemons, and a wide assortment of other things.

So what I decided to do was adjust my thinking. I simply had to replace the old things which I had been accustomed to eating, with new things. Things that would become as comforting and as familiar as the potato and the bread.

So I did! I found that much SE Asian food can be prepared low carb, dairy free, and gluten free, plus I love Thai food. So I bought a great Thai cookbook, with easy to make recipes, and started making lots of curries, salads and so on. I serve them on kelp noodles, cauliflower rice, or steamed broccoli.

I make myself low carb desserts from time to time. Infrequently nowadays, but more often when I was transitioning. I experimented with sweet omelets, I learned to make crepes from eggs and filled them with LC lemon custard and a few raspberries. I made bowl muffins from low carb things, brownies, cheesecake and all sorts of other stuff.

Anyway, it worked. I transitioned from thinking of my food as "boring" to having it replace the potato and bread. As before, in my potato and bread days, I can eat the same food for many days on end and never describe it as boring, because it never was boring. It just wasn't what I was most familiar with and what I was missing the most.

I bet when it comes right down to it, you don't eat with all that when you eat high carb. People get into patterns with their eating: Cereal at breakfast, sandwich at lunch, meat at dinner. Oh, the breakfast cereal might vary slightly, the meat in the sandwich might, but basically it is the same all the time. Why doesn't it feel boring to them when they do the same thing with LC? Because boring was never really the issue, it was because they were missing or longing for the comfort of the old foods.

One other observation. Ketosis can be responsible for making your appetite diminish at first. So you sit down to eat and you have no real appetite for what is in front of you. Just increase your carbs a bit and that should go away. I'd do it by eating more veggies or some LC fruits (berries). Appetite is the best sauce. I'd also suggest trying Intermittent Fasting... when I was doing that my enjoyment of food was increased a thousand-fold.
  #139   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 14:58

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

Wise words... you hit it on the head with the " no appetite" part... I know its not good to not eat, so I have to get myself motivated to cook something fresh and good for me....

Last edited by teresaw : Sat, Jun-18-11 at 14:01.
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 12:48

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

great post up there - and yeah. it's not boredom, it's longing. it's a precursor to emotional eating, period. i've learned the difference vicariously through quitting cigarettes. the craving sensation in my body for cigarettes, nicotine, chocolate, and starchy carb savory stuff is EXACTLY the same. since cigarettes and nicotine have never been and never will be about physical hunger, it's an easy line to draw when that "feeling" comes up again. especially since i haven't taken a puff in almost a year.
  #141   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 21:04

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

A couple of great points were made on this page. I struggle with food boredom . I have never looked at it as longing for the old comfort foods or lack of appitite. Like alot of people on low carb. I go threw periods were I just don,t want to eat. Thankyou everyone , next time it happens to me I will have some insight as to what might really be happening.
  #142   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 19:44
Registered Member

Stats: 236/210/195 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think I wrote that. Re-wrote it awhile back in my blog.

I got to thinking how varied and delicious low carb food is, why would I feel boredom, it didn't make any sense. Then I realized it wasn't that at all, it was another feeling and I was mislabeling it. I think we do that all the time, at least we do according to "Stumbling on Happiness", good book by the way.

I think it also gets conflated with that kind of anorexic feeling you get when you're in deep ketosis and nothing low carb sounds appealing. The fix is to eat more veggies, have a little low carb fruit, to reduce the ketosis by a little. Your appetite will come back and food looks much more interesting when you have an appetite.

I bet those who say they're getting bored would find that boredom vanishes if they only had a short eating window daily. IF made food magical. It was like the most delicious sauce imaginable.

Guess I really don't know as much as I thought. The bolded text is exactly how I have been feeling!! But I have been using Ketone strips and it says that I am moderate, so Idk why the extreme issues. Will try to up my veggies tomorrow and throughout the weekend and see if I have better results! Thanks
  #143   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 20:27
Experimenter

BF:

Good luck! I hope it helps.
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-13, 11:53

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I know perfectly well about wanting what you can't have, and equating it with boredom - not from personal experience so much, but seeing it in my husband. I am eating low carb, he is not, but I am the cook so he has the perception that he is being "short changed", even though I am willing to cook whatever he wants. I even ask if he wants potatoes or rice with dinner, and as often as not he says "no". Perhaps he just likes the feeling of "poor me; my wife is low carbing, and I am missing out because of it"
Some years ago he was going through treatment for thyroid cancer. At one point, for a period of 6 weeks, he needed to be on a low iodine diet. This is impossible to do if depending on processed foods, or if one is not willing to cook from scratch. However, I like to cook, and was up to the challenge. This man ate better than he usually does because we were both more focused on what he was eating. As a cook I have to say that low iodine is one of the easier diets to accomplish - but only if paying attention. And it only lasted 6 weeks! Was he happy? Not at all; he quetsched and moaned and complained the whole time. He wasn't allowed to eat out (I am a better cook than any chef in any restaurant in our small town); he wasn't allowed to eat seafood (which he can go for months without eating under other circumstances); its "low salt", which is horrible (except it isn't; its just purely non-iodized salt, which I always use anyway; processed foods don't specify which sort they use so he couldn't eat any of that) In other words, purely his perception, and nothing to do with reality. He was totally focused on what he *could not have*, and so, was miserable, and "bored".
For myself, at this low carb moment, my appetite is minimal because I am in ketosis. I would be happy with just some meat, extra fat, and a veg. But I have to cater to his perception to a certain degree, and that is making this into an effort. When he was away for a week I did a crockpot roast, and ate off it for several days, and felt wonderful. <sigh> Its a good thing I am fond of the man
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-13, 04:29
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 196/162/160 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 94%

Cooking never bores me.. if I cook a meal I can find plenty of varieties doing stir fries, curries and stews. And fried fish and veg.
My problem is breakfast and lunch. Brakfast usually ends up in munch a carrot, have a glass of pineapple juice and some fresh yoghurt right out of the big yoghurt pot, either with nut oil or strawberries or right now prunes. I can't cook here at work, I got about 30 minutes and no decent cooker around. I am so bored with half a courgette, bit of cheese and maybe marmite or some of my own mean chilli paste. Or a can of fish instead of cheese. Salad is not good this year, after all the rain we only got courgettes, rocket and squash... ok onions.
My initial sin was bread at work. That is where my fat came from.. so I haven't touched bread for a year but there are lots of things you could eat with something.. if I only had tomatoes it would be easier.

Yes I have looked in the lunch thread..but most people talk in riddles : I had cheese sauce and chicken (how on earth did they make cheese sauce at work? ) or even worse a "had an Alberto dip on a Julie salad " what on earth do they mean? Worst one is the guy who invariably says 9 eggs . Ugh.

So I any of you have some great idea where to find some lunch snack type ideas I'm all for it. NO PORK please.
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-13, 05:10

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

hi there I'm also a good cook, like making all sorts of foods. But, on a day to day basis, I'm lazy. I don't bother eating breakfast because there's nothing I like, but if there was something tasty and easy to just pick up and woof down, I could eat!
I make things like meatballs, always nice wrapped in a lettuce leaf or as they come. "breaded" meat fillets, or chicken wings are tasty home made beefburgers, cooked cut into bitesize pieces and eaten with pickles... I had a moment with chickpea flour pancakes flavoured with onion and spices. Here in Italy there is very little food to buy ready prepared, so apart from sliced meats and cheeses, I understand the fight with fresh bread.. I have it under my nose every day, but I resist!... 99% of the time!
No rice? because thats always a good staple for snack meals. Beans? three bean salad is filling....
sorry if I've not been any help, but I'm not sure what your "not eating"..Either way, hello.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-13, 08:20
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettep38
Yes I have looked in the lunch thread..but most people talk in riddles : I had cheese sauce and chicken (how on earth did they make cheese sauce at work? )

I'm guessing they made it at home and took it to work and reheated it in a microwave. Most places of business in the US provide a lunch room with refrigeration and microwave these days.
Quote:
or even worse a "had an Alberto dip on a Julie salad " what on earth do they mean? Worst one is the guy who invariably says 9 eggs . Ugh.

LOL! I don't know. Sounds like brand names of something and typos? Nine eggs? Wow... I'd start gagging after the first 2 or 3.
Quote:
So I any of you have some great idea where to find some lunch snack type ideas I'm all for it. NO PORK please.

Do you have any way to refrigerate or reheat food at work?
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 02:40
Registered Member

BF:

We got a fridge and a microwave.. My spot in the fridge is usually filled with carrots, cucumbers and a bit of cheese. Sometimes yoghurt if I have made too much at home.
Yes Nancy, you are right spot on.. it was just one I pick upped of these zillions of brand name waffle recipes. I must admit I do not touch processed food and I'd rather avoid brand names as that means it is industrial food so you never know for sure what is in it.
Example: my friend Pauline said: Look I made a special Lasagne for you no flour all just covered with a very thin rice pappadum.
Great.
Two hours later I felt the all so familiar bloat, rumbling and I had a lump of metal in my tummy.
Well I put a bit of (well known brand) barbecue sauce in it, she said. Was there anything wrong with it? it said tomato and chillie.. No comment.
I cook exclusively using prime factors.. you'd say in maths or assemble from CKD you say in automotive technology.
What I mean to say the only food I buy contains one ingredient, apart from cheese but then I get that from the farm where it is made.
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 14:12
Experimenter

BF:

Sounds like you could just bring whatever you make make at home and reheat it at work.
Quote:
What I mean to say the only food I buy contains one ingredient, apart from cheese but then I get that from the farm where it is made.

That is just awesome!

Cheese doesn't agree with me too much so I avoid it. But there are some good cheesemaking books and web sites out there. It makes me wish I could eat it more.
  #150   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 02:45
Registered Member

BF:

Nancy, do you have the same problem with goat milk?
My neighbour found out that she has a problem with dairy products, but she now happily eats the goat cheese from the farm since she tried it in my kitchen
Just ask around, I don't know how it is in the US but even if those around you who have a few goats don't have a farm food license they might sell it to you in private. Many less than well heeled farmers do it here.