Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 10:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I'm wondering if I can keep doing the morning shake during weeks 3-4 - I kinda like them... Or perhaps, maybe, after week 3-4?

I don't see why not. I've been doing morning shakes for 6 weeks or so, I got really fond of them.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 12:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSarah
But I told DH that just think how happy we are to get our one meal of meat now. I bet after two weeks of almost all meat, we're going to be thrilled with a shake (I hope ).

I think it may indeed work like this, at least it does for me. I love sweet things. I don't have the unbearable carb cravings I had when LC, but I still enjoy a sweet taste and the shakes satisfy that. But if I have sweet things too long I start craving meat and veggies, so the one meat meal satisfies that. If I do the mostly meat weeks 3-4 I'm sure I'll be thrilled to get back to shakes again. At my weight I'll have to bounce back and forth *multiple* times between the weeks 1-4 plans, assuming I find this works for me! Still sitting at 293 this morning which is my long stall weight.

I see on Facebook that Jimmy Moore and his wife are doing this too, and their combined loss for the first couple days is 5.2 pounds and 2 inches.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 12:12

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20
Progress: 44%

I will say that my lunch time shake is not as satisfying... Since I make it at work, I use a shaker bottle with a cute little mixer ball. But the lunch shake has no liquids from home, no cream, no egg, and I skip the psyllum husk cause I figure it won't mix as well. But its enough to keep me going 'til I get home around 4pm. After the third shake, I don't want dinner right away. If we eat early (depends on my daughter's softball schedules), then I might even skip the third shake or have it very late.

Tonight Madison has a pitching lesson from 5-6pm and McKenzie has practice from 6-7:30pm - so probably a late dinner. Tuesday is taco night! (Taco salad for me).

Here's a quick slide-slow of Madison's travel team - the Fairfax Firebirds:
http://fairfaxfirebirds99.shutterfly.com/pictures
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 12:58

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessnut
Here's a quick slide-slow of Madison's travel team - the Fairfax Firebirds: http://fairfaxfirebirds99.shutterfly.com/pictures

Great slide show. The kids all look athletic, and like they take their game seriously. Sorta like I was at that age. Gee, I wonder what happened?

Today I have not been as hungry as I was yesterday. I don't know if that is because I am adjusting, because the more puddingy concoctions I had today were more satisfying than the watery shakes of yesterday, or if it's because I had a huge crisis at work that had me on the hop all morning and I had no time to think about food.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 15:06

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
...and I had no time to think about food.

That's it! Hand in your overweight badge! You've become one of *them*.

Was very hungry today, but had more energy for at least the first part of the day. Expect to see another energy surge tomorrow.

I see we're all losing some, but not below that special weight. For me - I've seen 220 a few times over the last few months while I was trying to change my ways, but not really making a change. Will be interesting. I can't believe it's just day 3 on these shakes!

Sarah
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 15:07
Experimenter

BF:

Used to be 165 was my set-point but now it seems to be 170. Oh joy.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 15:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Used to be 165 was my set-point but now it seems to be 170. Oh joy.

I thought the 6week cure would bash down all our set points! So take heart Nancy! Maybe this is just the surprise your set point needed!

I think I'm going to have to make my first modification to this woe, and it's just day 3. After another set of, err, problems today... I'm going to be cutting back on the Magnesium. i don't know why other folks can stand such a high dosage (the 6week cure calls for 400mg).

According to WebMD's Magnesium page:
Magnesium is also used as a laxative for constipation and for preparation of the bowel for surgical or diagnostic procedures. It is also used as an antacid for acid indigestion.

So tomorrow - I'm cutting down my intake by a third.

Sarah
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 16:28

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!

I was not as hungry today. It might be because I added more cream/coconut milk for the fat. But I have to watch the cream because it has a lot of carbs when you use a lot.

Tonight's dinner for the fam is homemade Mac n Cheese. The cheese sauce looked better than usual, so I just had a bowl of raw broccoli dipped in the leftover sauce. I hope that bit of white flour doesn't do me in! I'm so full I don't think I'll eat dinner in an hour.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 17:42
Experimenter

BF:

Sarah, I haven't really started yet. Still weaning myself off the caffeine. I'm going to take it slow so I don't get sick. Probably be another week or two before I start.

What type of magnesium are you taking? That can make a big difference. Usually I have to take 1000mg or more to get it to affect my bowels.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 18:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Well, I'm glad to say that, for me too, it was easier today; I was definitely less hungry. I don't enjoy the shakes, but I'll keep doing it, I really hope it will help me to get rid of the vat!
Good work everybody!
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 20:30

BF:

Quote:
Sarah, I haven't really started yet. Still weaning myself off the caffeine. I'm going to take it slow so I don't get sick. Probably be another week or two before I start.

Ohhhhhh, smart. I took just 3 or 4 days, which was a compromise between my husband (who wanted to start now now now!) and me (frightened of the caffeine withdrawal).

I haven't lost weight this fast since the very first time I did Atkins. It was the only time I gave up caffeine. I hate to think there's a correlation. lol And why does it make me so sad to think of giving it up? Once it's out of my system, who cares? Weird. Must ponder.

Quote:
What type of magnesium are you taking? That can make a big difference. Usually I have to take 1000mg or more to get it to affect my bowels.

I'll have to look for the thingy later. It's 500mg Magnesium and 1000mg Calcium I think. One 'serving' to get that level is 3 capsules. And Eades just says 400mg anyway, so cutting down to 2 seems safe.

You're right, it could be something else too. I just leapt to thinking it was the Magnesium, because I tried supplementing with it before when others swore by it for all sorts of things including sleeping better. And I had troubles with it before too

Sarah
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 23:08
Experimenter

BF:

I think magnesium's ending with -ate are generally better absorbed. You can get mag. oxide but that's the sort they put in laxatives, I don't think it's well absorb, thus it works well as a laxative.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 07:04

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!

My day is not off to a good start! It's pouring rain and I ran out of protein powder! It was an old container and I didn't realize how quickly I would go through it at 6 scoops per day! I had less than a scoop for my breakfast shake this a.m. and it wasn't very good! I put a little unsweetened coconut in it to "plump" it up some, but I'm still hungry.

I guess if I'm dying before I can get out later, I'll have an egg.

No weight change today, probably from that little bit of flour last night. :-(
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 09:04

Plan: PaNu (lacto-paleo) & VLC
Stats: 267/235.2/195 Male 71 inches
BF:40/35/20

Down 8.4 pounds in seven days. Below 250 for the first time in almost 10 years (when I first did Atkins and then stalled right around here...). I am extremely happy so far. If this keeps up even at half or a third of that rate, I'll be a huge fan of this. Heck, I think I already am!

Even if I stall at 240 - this would be a big breakthrough! Hope I didn't just jinx it.
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-09, 11:23
Experimenter

BF:

Congrats! Woot! Great to hear about great success.

I added 1/4 tsp of xanthum gum to my breakfast shake (still haven't started diet, but I do drink an AM shake) and it made it really nice. Thicker more like a milk shake.