Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:07

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Cauliflower Fauxtatoes Help Needed

I need hints on how to make yummy fauxtatoes!

Back in my pre-LC days, I was the world’s best mashed potatoes maker. No fake anything (real butter and lots of it), my mashed potatoes were bad for you no matter WHAT diet you were on.

Sadly, my one try at cauliflower fauxtatoes did not go so well. The texture was about right, and they certainly looked like mashed potatoes, but the taste was strongly cauliflower-y. Don’t get me wrong; I love cauliflower (and pretty much all veggies), but I was hoping for something a bit closer to potatoes. I know it won’t ever be exactly like good ol’ mashed potatoes, and that’s okay; I just want to get a bit closer.

IIRC, on the advice of someone at another site, when I cooked it I threw some leek (I HATE cleaning those things; I probably won’t do that again) and garlic in the water. I used fresh cauliflower.

Any advice?

Last edited by FrecklFluf : Fri, Jan-30-04 at 21:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/154/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi FrecklFluf;

I find that adding sour cream (just like I used to do with potatoes) helps a lot. I also add some grated cheese.

On my first try, I think I cooked the cauliflower too much, because it was really runny - but tasted good. The last time I did them, I didn't cook it quite as long and didn't let the food processor run as long. The result wasn't quite as smooth (just a little on the grainy side) but it thins out when you add butter, and sour cream. The cheese also helps to mask the cauliflower flavour. A bit of ginger and garlic also adds a different twist. MMmmmm - yumm.

Hope this helps.

Lorraine
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I add cream cheese to cut the cauliflower taste a bit.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 524/524/325 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I will usually cook a couple of cloves of garlic and a small turnip or 2 with the cauliflower. Then into food processor and add heavy cream to get consistency.

I usually also add S&P to taste.

I will also freeze in the little Gladware type containers as much as I want per serving, usually about a cup for myself.

dave
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 174/159/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

I use a little sour cream, whipping cream and a little onion/green onion and garlic (either cooked with the cauilflower in water or broth, or browned in oil or butter) and it makes such good fauxtatoes that my kids don't miss their regular mashed taters. I whir it in the blender until fairly smooth but you can always mash it with a potato masher/ricer.

If the cauliflower is too wet it will be runny so I drain it well, or even drain it and then put it back in the pan over low heat until it is quite dry before adding the other ingredients.

I served this at Christmas dinner with regular mashed potato casserole and this was the one people wanted the recipe for.