Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 16:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I see grape seed oil is on the bad list. I think that's because it has high omega 6 content like other industrial seed oils. At first I thought it would be good for making home mayo until I realized this, so we make it from avocado oil now. Does Costco still sell Chosen Foods avocado oil mayo? If so it's also a good one.

The last time I bought mayo at Costco it was Chosen Foods Avocado.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 21:01

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I found some of the Sir Kensington mayo at Costco today - haven't tried it yet. Weird to see the little specks of pepper in it.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 04:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Any one can make their own mayo with an immersion blender. Even me!

I just buy it because with DH caretaking and out Barbie Dream Kitchen (size) I get it shipped to me because good oil is also expensive.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 09:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Any one can make their own mayo with an immersion blender. Even me!

I just buy it because with DH caretaking and out Barbie Dream Kitchen (size) I get it shipped to me because good oil is also expensive.

I used to make my own mayo in a regular jar blender... been many decades ago, and I'm sure it would be far simpler with a stick blender than it was in a regular blender.

I made mayo waaaay back, long before all the paranoia about consuming raw eggs though. I know there's an extremely low chance that one will actually have salmonella in it (one in 10's of thousands? Can't remember, not looking it up right now), but still skittish about taking the chance, and even the pasteurized eggs (at least all of the ones I've seen in this area of the country) still have a warning on the label not to use them raw. (which begs the question of why bother to pasteurize them/pay the significantly higher price for pasteurized eggs, if even that isn't considered to make them completely safe?)

The price of the oil would definitely make a difference too - I mean avocado oil - yikes, that stuff is downright expensive, actually even more for enough of Walmart's super cheap avocado oil to make a quart of mayo than it was for the quart jar of Sir Kensington's I bought yesterday, since the Sir Kensington's was actually on sale Still so expensive I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been on sale.

Just tasted it, and I sure hope it tastes better when used on a burger or in chicken salad/egg salad - it has a very different flavor from what I'm used to. I'd rather just go without any mayo at all to avoid the soybean oil than have that as my standard go-to mayo.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 08:37

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I'm sure everyone's taste in mayo and oils is different.

After I bought an immersion blender, I tried making pure olive oil mayo myself. The first batch, I used regular olive oil. Mistake! Way too oliveoily for my taste. Try Light olive oil. Still....not delicious to me. I've never tried using avocado oil, and might compare cost with the "made" stuff.

Happily, thrift isn't a huge factor in my food choices these days. But it certainly is for many, so it's great to have a lot of alternatives and sources suggested here.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 19:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Re: homemade mayonnaise. I rather like mine with olive oil, though I understand many don't. I use about half olive oil, and the rest avocado oil. If I have any I'll replace about 1/4 cup avocado oil with walnut oil, which adds a nice nuance.
Bought mayo? I get Sir Kensington, though I am not so fond of it that I use it plain. I like it better than Primal Kitchen though; the latter is very bland IMO
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 20:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

EVoo mayo......just cant wrap my tastebuds around that strong flavor.

My tastebuds are dialed into Hellman's. THAT is the baseline for my tastebuds. When making homemade I just tell my tastebuds its ok, its from a five star restaurant, so it will taste different.

However, my tongue still expects Hellman's......just easier to not use mayo very often. Mustard has replaced mayo for me.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 21:50

BF:

I chopped up a hard boiled egg today and made some egg salad with the Sir Kensington's. It wasn't bad at all. But then I use as much mustard as mayo in egg salad, so, I suspect the mustard covered up any odd flavor from the mayo. The real test will be using it in chicken salad, because I don't put anything in that other than the chicken and mayo, so there's nothing to cover up a different tasting mayo.

My taste buds are attuned to Hellman's too. (or more accurately, I've been using Aldi's brand mayo for quite a while, but it tastes almost exactly like Hellman's)

And to think I grew up using Miracle Whip! Mom would never buy anything else. I never particularly liked it, but when I was a kid, I thought it was just a different name for mayonnaise. I never had real mayo until after I got married, and DH was wanted real mayonnaise, so I bought some, and wondered how I ever tolerated Miracle Whip all those years.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-20, 22:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I only like Kraft Mayo.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 05:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
And to think I grew up using Miracle Whip! Mom would never buy anything else. I never particularly liked it, but when I was a kid, I thought it was just a different name for mayonnaise. I never had real mayo until after I got married, and DH was wanted real mayonnaise, so I bought some, and wondered how I ever tolerated Miracle Whip all those years.

I hated it always, but was cool to mayo until going low carb. Now, I love Primal kitchen, and get the plain, garlic (great on roast beef) and chipolte flavors. Salmon, tuna, and egg salad are all staples for me.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 10:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
EVoo mayo......just cant wrap my tastebuds around that strong flavor.

I sometimes wonder what the original mayonnaise makers of northern Spain/southern France wold make of plain, bland, white, non-olive oil, commercially made mayonnaise. I'm sure they wouldn't even recognize it as being from the same family
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 10:19

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The egg yolks in France & Spain also tend to be bright orange, since they are fresh & the hens free ranging and eating bugs. And they normally use only the yolks, not the whites, when making mayo. They also tend to eat less of it, a serving being 1-3 teaspoons, not 1-3 tablespoons.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jan-24-20 at 10:28.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 14:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I sometimes wonder what the original mayonnaise makers of northern Spain/southern France wold make of plain, bland, white, non-olive oil, commercially made mayonnaise. I'm sure they wouldn't even recognize it as being from the same family

I wonder if they used animal fats which would be much more available unless you happen to live in an area that grows olives?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 16:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I wonder if they used animal fats which would be much more available unless you happen to live in an area that grows olives?

My understanding is that mayonnaise is originally from N.Spain/S. France, where olive oil is the traditional cooking oil. When the Huguenots (French Protestants) were compelled to leave France, the ones who loved mayo, but moved to the Netherlands, concocted Hollandaise sauce, which is very like mayo really, just made with butter, and served warm.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 19:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
My understanding is that mayonnaise is originally from N.Spain/S. France, where olive oil is the traditional cooking oil. When the Huguenots (French Protestants) were compelled to leave France, the ones who loved mayo, but moved to the Netherlands, concocted Hollandaise sauce, which is very like mayo really, just made with butter, and served warm.

That is very interesting information, I didn't know.... Very interesting about the Hollandaise sauce too!