Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 20:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 181.5/174/135 Female 64"
BF:off the charts!
Progress: 16%
Thumbs down

Whatever you do, don't ever try Ben and Jerry's low carb ice cream. It has got to be the most vile tasting piece of sh-- I have ever put in my mouth!
The rest of my family got the good stuff and I almost cried!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 23:38

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Good info. Thanks Y'all.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist
Robin,
You might try these http://www.labrada.com/store/functionalfoods.htm because the texture is better (I do not think the Tumaros taste good at all, to me La Tortilla Factory's are better than those), however they need to make them larger to be more wrap friendly. It is not that I think it is a choice between your life and the Mission ones. More that it angers me to see transfats in low carb products when Atkins and Eades were amongst the first to protest their use.
Take care,
Mystique

Thanks, Mystique. I might try those later. For now, I've given up ALL LC products except Carb Countdown yogurt, and it seems to be making a world of difference in my progress. But maybe if I decide to add stuff back in later (although I'm wondering if my problem is with wheat, after all).
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 19:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 200/155/145 Female 5ft 5 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

I cannot live without my PB and i just bought that low carb PB last week. It's almost gone. I can't believe it's just as bad for you, it's just soooooooo good. But thanks for the feed back. I'll at least hesitate next time.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 10:14

Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%

CarbSolutions "Taste Sensations" Peanut Butter Cups contain

Partially Hydrogenated Palm Oil
Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil
Partially Hydrogenated Rapeseed Oil

STAY AWAY!

For a company dedicated to provding products to the Low Carb consumer, shame on them for loading up on these unhealthy fats

Once again, i would never have known until i read the label//
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-04, 13:17

Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%

Add to this list the two new CarbWell cereals from post = both contain partially hydrogenated oils
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 23:39

Stats: 257.2/252.8/165 Female 5'9"
BF:less than it was!
Progress: 5%

I tried the Keto Banana Nut hot cereal for the first time this morning and just loved it.

Potatofree- Im like you and dont really want to part with my Doritos. hehe
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 16:55

Plan: clarks
Stats: 189/183/140 Female 5ft 61/2inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Can someone explain to a newbie why hydrogenated fats are bad? I understand now about sweetener and caffeine etc but Im not up with you all on this issue at all.
Thanks from Manxie
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 00:51

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:

Basically you have three kinds of fats. Saturated fats are the ones you find in meats, dairy, etc..essentially these fats are solid at room temp and the name saturated means that on a chemistry level, all the available bonds are attached to hydrogens. All the bonds in the compound are single bonds. This is partially why they are solid at room temp. The second type is unsaturated fats. These are all veggie fats like corn oil, olive oil, etc. and they are liquid at room temp. Basically these fats are unsaturated because some bonds are double or triple. More hydrogens could be added if those extra bonds were broken.
Hydrogenated or trans fats are the third type. These are bad for a number of reasons. First they do not exist naturally. What has happened on a chemical level is that double and triple bonds have been forced apart and more hydrogen has been added to the compound. This is usually done to make the fat more solid at room temp (think margarine). The body reacts badly to these fats because they are unnatural. The body doesn't quite know how to handle them so they have a huge negative impact on HDL and LDL levels, and huge impact on triglycerides too. Studies have also shown a small increase in the risk of breast cancer and other cancers.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 16:52

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just about all the Carb Options products: http://carboption.com/products.asp#

Have Partially Hydrogenated * oil. Does it matter wether it's soybean, cottonseed, or whatever?

Alot of flavored Pork Rinds also have Partially Hydrogenated Soybean oil.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 23:23

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:

Hi again,
No it doesn't matter which kind is listed as hydrogenated. ANY fat listed as partially hydrogenated is a non-natural fat. I personally love La Tortilla Factory tortillas..I heat them over my gas stove top a little to make them more crispy. In fact, I have made my own tortilla chips by cutting the tortillas in 6 wedges, spraying them with olive or macadamia nut oil, sprinkle with seasoned salt or garlic salt, and baking them in the oven on 400 until browned. They are crunchy, which I miss horribly, and are a wonderful source of fiber. I am a nachos lover so this is a quick fix when I am looking for a snack. Another fav is homemade guacamole (another great source of fat and fiber) with the chips. YummY! A few days before TOM I am totally addicted to the stuff
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 16:39

Stats: 140/125.5/110 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%

What is Total Protein cereal? Who makes it? I have indulged shamelessly in Special K. Is Total Protein a more acceptable alternative?
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 10:26

Plan: SBD
Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5ft.4inches
BF:
Progress:

Total protein is made by Total ceral (Gerneral Mills I think). It is not bad but it does sort of taste like cardboard....I guess if you put berries and splenda on it with a little milk (1%) it is not so bad.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 17:01

Stats: 326/244/135 Female 55
BF:
Progress:
Default Keto

Hello, I guess the products I would avoid and I do avoid are some foods made by Keto. I loved the Ketato. I have not tried their ready to drink milk either has anyone tried that? I heard that they are discontinueing their ice cream as well.

Has anyone tried any good sugar free cheesecake? I found a website that has one. I have tried their cookies and a few other of their products. They were created for diabetics in mind. www.diabeticfoodsource.com Has anyone tried any of their foods?
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 17:52
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Don't touch the rtd milk!!! IMO, it tastes like *&^%