Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-18, 16:18

Plan: None in particular
Stats: 165/150/150 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Muscle loss

Hello,

I've been eating low-carb for just over three years now (roughly 50 grams of carbs a day) after a diagnosis of high blood sugar. I've also been working out, doing a variety of weights machines plus 40 minutes of cardio, three times a week. I'm male and in my 40s.

It's worked well in terms of keeping my blood sugar down, as I've stayed out of the pre-diabetic range ever since. In terms of fitness, everything was fine for the first couple of years. I wasn't building loads of muscle, but I didn't expect to because I wasn't power-lifting or anything. I had the sort of look you'd expect for someone doing that kind of workout: slim, with reasonable muscle tone.

Then about a year ago, I noticed I was starting to put on a bit of weight round the middle, and that my upper back was starting to go soft. My arms were getting thin and stringy. I was clearly losing muscle mass, and putting on flab. I tried loading up on "good" carbs before working out (lentils, chickpeas, etc). Tried changing my workout around. Tried drinking protein shakes after exercise. Tried everything that everyone suggested, and I'm still doing most of those things, but it made no difference and this kept getting worse and worse.

So now, here I am with a body that looks like I've never been in a gym in my life. Generally skinny with no muscle, but with huge handfuls of flab on my back (upper and lower), backside, thighs, chest etc. My face is horribly gaunt, but I also have a double chin and my jawline is suddenly sagging like an old man's. It's the worst of all worlds. As well as this, my arms and legs ache 24 hours a day, I have no energy at all and I feel totally fatigued after working out (I used to feel quite energised after exercising, on an endorphin high).

I've had a lot of medical tests which were all negative. My diet is high in protein and good fats, but low-carb, and this is the only thing that seems to be left as the cause of this. (When I used to eat high-carb I found it very easy to bulk up in the gym, and I wasn't that much younger then.) I can't stop eating low-carb because of my blood sugar, so I need to find a way to reverse this. Is anyone familiar with the problem, and if so, what can I do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-18, 10:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr berg DC has seeveral videos on utube about body types. Not the old system but one based on where the fat tends to accumulate. THEre ae 4 types.

He addresses the different dietary needs of each type based on the physiologgy that drives each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s54ioy8f7ek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPVnXixQ8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvOwfkg9p2o

These may help you find the underlying issue and the solution.

YOu have done so well. Hope you find an answer very soon.