Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-16, 09:53

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Tai Chi

As I've posted elsewhere, my partner had a stroke in mid July that initially compromised the entire right side of his body. Now, he can walk again -- usually without even a walker -- and climb stairs. He has never been especially physically fit, and his balance is shaky. Before the stroke, he was very overweight; he has lost 8 pounds before the stroke and 40 pounds after!!! (Since mid July). We are both still overweight -- but with 95 pounds gone between the two of us we are making great progress.... I just cracked the "obese" number and he is close to doing so. Our goal is to get down to the weights we were in college where we met.

We decided to try Tai Chi at the local senior center, (which feels really weird because we aren't (yet!) seniors, and although I am overweight, I am very athletic and agile). But anyway... we have gone to class for 2 weeks and I have checked out some YouTube vids and I love this. It is GREAT for me because it really works my arms (Walking is great, too, but you end up with great legs and chicken arms). I also like the rhythmic dance-like quality of it, even if I often look like and "I Love Lucy" about Lucy trying to dance in a chorus line! And it is great for my partner because it is low intensity, he can take rests when he needs to, and it works all of his body and his balance. So this even is doable for someone who is quite overweight AND has had a stroke! The instructor even said that if it got too hard for him to continue in a standing of walking position, he could just do the arms in a chair. Yet it can be as challenging as you want to make it (by really doing the positions well).

Anyway, I thought I'd share this because I thought others might be in the same boat of wanting to exercise, yet feeling limited because of their weight or current physical condition. I can really see adding this to my exercise schedule (which this winter will include walking and downhill skiing) for a lifetime fitness plan! And I think it's something my partner can and will do, as well.
Sponsored Links