Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 11:03

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Anyone Using a Recumbent Bike ?

I have COPD (recently diagnosed) and use an oxygen concentrator 24/7. I have a small machine I take when I go away from home. I need to exercise, but walking with this concentrator is not easy, so I am looking for either a treadmill or recumbent bicycle. I am leaning toward the recumbent bike since I have bad knees and this would not be weight bearing.

Is anyone out there using a recumbent bike? Do you like it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 15:53

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

I had a recombanant exercise bike for about 10 years and really liked it. My wife, who uses a wheelchair, also could use it. My only issue was that I had a tendency to take it easy, probably because of the riding position, but that was really my flaw, not the bikes. I exchanged it for an upright bike, with a desk, so I can use my laptop while riding. I probably spend less time on the upright bike, but I think I ride harder for that shorter period. I have also had a treadmill, and even though I do like to walk, I prefer the bike to the treadmill.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-19, 15:13

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

I've had knee issues since I was 30, and was told that recumbent-bike was my best bet for exercise, as it puts NO stress on my knee.

While it's been years since I've had a gym membership, when I DID have one, I used the recumbent.

Let me tell you -- it did WONDERS for that knee!

At other times, I had one of those little portable pedal-thingies that you can pick up and move out of the way (it's just the pedal part -- you sit on your couch/at your desk, etc). Since my purpose at the time was physical therapy more than weight-loss, I made a bargain with myself: I could watch as much TV as I liked, as long as I kept pedalling.

It worked. I had greatly reduced knee pain. (BTW, if you DO opt for one of those little portable units, I recommend you do NOT buy a cheap folding one.

You want one that looks like this: That solid body houses a flywheel, which means smoother movement, less noise, and generally better construction.

One like this: will usually be less well-built and will not have as smooth a motion.

But if you want a full-on recumbent, I can give you an enthusiastic endorsement. They don't make my knee pain worse. In fact, using it consistently improved knee pain. And because it doesn't aggravate my knee, I'm able to get a good workout. It's maybe more dependent on your mental-state than a treadmill or (heaven help my knees) a stair-stepper, but you can definitely get your heart-rate up if you stay focused. (For me, hard-rock played loudly helps. I don't listen to loud rock most of the time, but I do for working out.)

Last edited by LiterateGr : Wed, Jan-23-19 at 15:18.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 16:20

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Thanks ......I am either going to get a Schwinn recumbent bike or this new machine I saw.....the Teeter Freestep. the Freestep is supposed to be good for not aggravating knees and hips but still give you a good workout. My husband also needs to exercise and has similar problems to me, so this would help us both if we will use it.

I do have one of those peddler machines that will sit in front of a chair and let you peddle, and I can use it without knee pain. It is one of those folding types, but I bought it several years ago for a trial basis before I bought something more expensive.

Anyway, wish me luck! I will post what I end up with.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 07:30

For the record, went to the gym Friday night, and got my heart-rate up to 170 (and held it there) on the recumbent bike. Had my earphones playing some good-paced rock music. Worked until my out-of-shape leg muscles gave out. So very much able to get a "good" workout in.

And also able to work out so calmly that I can read a book. (Sometimes, with knee issues, that's really all you need -- movement, not vigorous movement.)

I love the versatility. I love the zero impact. (That workout I just did? I haven't set foot in a gym since 2012, and my knee has been aching, lately. I walked in cold, was able to get up to that heart rate, and maintain, with zero knee pain. A treadmill or elliptical would have crippled me if I'd tired that.)

Last edited by LiterateGr : Sun, Jan-27-19 at 07:31. Reason: fixing bad tags
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-19, 01:26
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

LiterateGr I was glad to see a positive update. I developed asthma a few years and just joined a gym. Good and bad asthma days, but it makes me feel healthier to move and hopefully strengthen my cardiovascular.

I plan to split my time between treadmill and bike. I like the treadmill as I call it a 2fer and use the incline to tighten my backside, then use the bike to strengthen my quads. My knees are getting old so I'm glad it's good for that use too.

I tried the upright bike, oh my god the seat was pure torture, I made it about 5 min.

Best wishes LBangle - I admire your grit!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-19, 03:29

You know, a good bike workout is great for your glutes! :P (Mine usually kill me for the first couple days after I start biking.)

Been hitting the gym pretty regularly, for the past week-and-a-half, I'd say.

Two weeks ago, I could not do the butterfly stretch. My knee wouldn't bend that far.

Saturday, I was able to do it. (It looked like a long tall diamond, knees bend less than 90 degrees, but I did it.)

Yesterday, I sat down and did one that looked "like a normal person" instead of someone with bad knees. My feet were probably 12-18" from my body... Not bad. (I do the stretch for my hips, not my knees, so that's just where it came naturally.)

Most of that progress is due to the recumbent bike.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-19, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

That's awesome LiterateGr! You are an inspiration to me.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 21:45

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 180/155/130 Male 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I just got a cheap folding pedaller today, for rehab of my knee cap that I broke in March. I spent about 10 minutes with it this afternoon. My physical therapist suggested that I get a "step through" recumbent bike to minimize my odds of losing my balance and falling off, but I've got a tiny apartment. I'm in lousy shape, and I can't walk as far or as fast as I did before I broke my knee. This will have to do until (if) they let adults back into the YMCA.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 07:21

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I'm glad someone revived this thread. I am an old lady with bad knees. Regular bikes hurt my back so I tried a recumbent bike and it was a big improvement. Someone said it helped with knees. I had an old used one that the digital readout didn't work.

I saw an ad for the Teeters Freestep and wanted that because it included arm movements but the price was a little high for me. Instead I got a Sunny Health and Fitness Crossover Recumbent Bike. I love it. It is gentle on the knees. Very smooth movement and comfortable. Another good thing for an old lady, you don't have to step over a center bar to get on and off. It's completely open to the floor. I use it daily and highly recommend it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-16-20, 08:26

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi all.....I am revisiting this thread as I still have not made a purchase. I am fairly decided on the Teeter Freestep, just really wanted to try one out at a store before I committed to buying and hiring someone to set it up since I know I won't be able to do it. Covid just kind of put a stop to everything for us and there is not a local store in my city that carries it. I would have to drive about three hours to a neighboring city in either direction to try one.....therefore I have not done it. I have been using my little peddler though.....I set it in front of the tv and peddle away while watching tv. I try to do 30 minutes. It does not have a good tension setting though and the peddling is easy so not sure how good of a workout I am getting. At least I am moving my legs

Hubby wants a regular bicycle and we have been researching those too. Still on the hunt!