Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 20:23

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Thanks for your input Ken. I have sometimes thought that eating at my goal weight is the sensible thing to do. I try for 1500 cals 20 carbs a day and most of the time it's good, sometimes I feel weak like I haven't eaten enough for energy. I don't know. Now I want to pick up swimming and weights so maybe I need to keep my carbs down and increases calories? I am 69 and 5'10.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-16, 08:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
Is it something a 70 year old can do?

If you check out some of the success stories on Teresa's website, you will see quite a few "more life experienced" people, with excellent results.

Her motto is "Yes you can"

https://www.t-tapp.com/
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-16, 10:26
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Thanks for your input Ken. I have sometimes thought that eating at my goal weight is the sensible thing to do. I try for 1500 cals 20 carbs a day and most of the time it's good, sometimes I feel weak like I haven't eaten enough for energy. I don't know. Now I want to pick up swimming and weights so maybe I need to keep my carbs down and increases calories? I am 69 and 5'10.

Weight loss aside, what has happened over the past 30 months has been an amazing and highly educational experience for me on so many levels. There were so many ailments and limitations creeping into my life that I chalked up as being a result of my age and/or obesity that were actually a result of high blood sugar from a poor diet and lack of physical activity. This WOE combined with increased physical activity is the fountain of youth. I have rolled back the years. This healing and rejuvenation process was underway from the beginning. Diet helped a lot, but I think getting moving again with daily walking did too. My chronic aching back got worse before it got better, but it did get better. Age takes its toll. I am not 20 again. But I feel better in my 50's than I did in my 40's. Don't let age stop you. Ease into what ever you want to do and then go from there. With time and dedication you will be amazed at what you can do. I remember seeing one of those 'feel good' stories on the news several years ago where an 85 year old woman completed a marathon. The amazing part was that she didn't even start working out until her 80's. Our body can do more than we think if we treat it right.

I've been using THIS Calorie Calculator to kind of judge where I'm at with my eating. It has proved to be reasonably accurate IMO. I plugged in your data and it showed that you would be maintaining your goal weight at about 1900 calories at the light activity level. If you decide to increase your exercise, you may want to consider eating a little more. When I was eating between 1800 and 2000 calories a day I did that because I'd broken my foot and that ended my walking routine for a month or two. I wanted to keep losing so I really tightened up on the diet. Once I started to heal I started walking again and I'd even started a little weight lifting. But I didn't change how much I was eating. I wasn't eating enough for the level of activity I was doing and I felt drained. I needed 2 or 3 rest days between weight lifting sessions to get my strength back. The diet that I had enjoyed before I broke my foot was not so enjoyable anymore. So I added about 500 calories to my diet. I felt so much better after doing that. I got the pep in my step again on my walks. I recovered faster with the weight lifting. I was happier and I was still losing weight.

I don't normally like to tell others what to do. We are all so different. I like to just say what I did and let others draw ideas from my experience. In your case I would suggest experimenting with getting a few more calories in. Experiment with different levels of protein. Keep the carbs low. Find the right zone for you. Other than some achiness from initiating a new exercise, there is no reason that you should feel drained from your swimming and other workouts. You need to have enough gas in the tank to be happy. You are eating right and doing what is right for your body. You have plenty of time to tweak your diet and figure out the best diet for you.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Jul-28-16 at 13:45.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-16, 10:41

Thanks for the suggestion for T-Tapp. The "Tapp" made me think it was dancing and I don't know if I am that coordinated. I watched the hoe down exercise and it made me think of trying to walk and chew gum at the same time. Don't think I can do that either!

I'm going to a Zumba Gold class and then swimming with a friend tomorrow but will try this on a morning I stay home. Thanks again.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-16, 10:52

Thanks so much Ken. As I've lost weight I am much more active and feel the need to do even more so I think I will set my calorie level to 1700, which is where I had to be to feel good when I was younger and then judge how I feel. I may have to go higher.

My mom is a very active 93 and my g'mother live an active life to 88 so the longevity genes are there. I don't want to spend the next 20 years like the past 13 years! I want to be a very active, happy oldster. I can't undo the past but I can change my future!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-16, 12:05

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion for T-Tapp. The "Tapp" made me think it was dancing and I don't know if I am that coordinated. I watched the hoe down exercise and it made me think of trying to walk and chew gum at the same time. Don't think I can do that either!

I'm going to a Zumba Gold class and then swimming with a friend tomorrow but will try this on a morning I stay home. Thanks again.
Sounds good. Teresa has seated versions even. She comes at exercise almost from a rehab point of view; it's all about working from where you are, including starting out with not so much coordination and balance.

The exercises do not all require coordination like hoe downs. And there are workout DVDs that you can buy, some of which are less like dance. I have a sister who has coordination issues and she is okay with the Senior Fit series.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 16:43

I attended the zumba gold class the day after the last post two weeks ago. I made it all the way through but I really crashed the next day and have been exhausted ever since. I hadn't eaten before the class as I read that it was more fat-burning that way. I promised a friend that I would go tomorrow but I am going to have a good breakfast with a decent amount of calories and fat. Maybe that will make a difference. (I had forgotten that Ken suggested that I raise my calories.)
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 17:12

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Exercise is more fat burning on an empty stomach IF you are adapted to both low carb and fasting.

If either one isn't true, then you'll be exhausted. Keep in mind that you are burning fat by staying low carb. The best advice that I can give you is to pay attention to hunger. If you are hungry, eat. If you're not, stop eating, or don't start.

Some of us have severely damaged our ability to pay attention to hunger/not hunger, though. They do better with either measuring and counting, or eating during prescribed windows during the day, only.

I like the way that you are working to figure things out. Allow yourself to know what works for you, as opposed to what various guides say will work. When you are eating low carb and high fat, you have an advantage over those who are not, as the simple act of digesting higher levels of protein and higher levels of fat uses a lot more energy than digesting sugars.

Remember from kindergarten, the soda cracker experiment? (At least we did it in my kindergarten.) Chew on a salty soda cracker long enough, and it starts to taste sweet. Because the chemical bonds in carbs are so simple and so weak that the digestive juices in your mouth will start breaking them down.

Easy to break down, easy to store in the fat cells! But proteins and fats, oh my! They are much more complex, and before they can go through the bloodstream, need a lot more work to break down.

Bottom line: at the number of calories where you might have stalled or even gained with a diet higher in carbs, you will lose on LCHF. Gotta love that, right?
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Remember from kindergarten, the soda cracker experiment? (At least we did it in my kindergarten.)
You've got to be kidding! I can't remember last week!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Exercise is more fat burning on an empty stomach IF you are adapted to both low carb and fasting.

If either one isn't true, then you'll be exhausted. Keep in mind that you are burning fat by staying low carb. The best advice that I can give you is to pay attention to hunger. If you are hungry, eat. If you're not, stop eating, or don't start.

Some of us have severely damaged our ability to pay attention to hunger/not hunger, though. They do better with either measuring and counting, or eating during prescribed windows during the day, only.

I like the way that you are working to figure things out. Allow yourself to know what works for you, as opposed to what various guides say will work. When you are eating low carb and high fat, you have an advantage over those who are not, as the simple act of digesting higher levels of protein and higher levels of fat uses a lot more energy than digesting sugars.

Remember from kindergarten, the soda cracker experiment? (At least we did it in my kindergarten.) Chew on a salty soda cracker long enough, and it starts to taste sweet. Because the chemical bonds in carbs are so simple and so weak that the digestive juices in your mouth will start breaking them down.

Easy to break down, easy to store in the fat cells! But proteins and fats, oh my! They are much more complex, and before they can go through the bloodstream, need a lot more work to break down.

Bottom line: at the number of calories where you might have stalled or even gained with a diet higher in carbs, you will lose on LCHF. Gotta love that, right?
Thanks for the explanation and encouragement.

I found a thread from 2002 that talked about the need for minerals in recovering from fatigue and checked mine for the last month and they are really low so I need to address that. I am also planning a good breakfast before going to the class tomorrow.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 02:51

Stats: 255/254/220 Male 201 cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

This is my first post to the forum. Approximately 12 years ago, I decided to get in shape and lose a lot of excess pounds. I am 6' 8", was 35 and at the time weighed approximately 247 lbs (mostly fat). From the beginning of February of that year until Easter, I completed a 10 week journey that transformed my body from a 247 lbs stuffed sausage to a lean 218 lbs (coincidentally, this was what I weighed in high school). At the end of the 10 weeks, I was in the best shape of my life. I don't know if my approach would work for everyone, but this is how I did it:

First I followed the Atkins plan and limited myself to 20 grams of carbs a day for the entire 10 week duration. This was not easy, but being able to eat as much steak, bacon and sausage as I wanted helped quite a bit. I drank water, sugar-free whey protein shakes and coffee, but didn't touch alcohol or soft drinks.

Second, I started working out on a steady cardio program with moderate weight training. The first time I attempted 20 minuted on the stair machine, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. However, I kept at it and every day it got easier. I would try to keep at the cardio 5 or 6 days a week and moderate weightlifting every second day. I used a stair machine and elliptical for cardio, and basic weight machines for lifting. I also did sit-ups every day before my cardio routine.

It is important to point out that a calorie is not a calorie. While the classic method of losing weight involves eating less calories than you burn. However, on the low carb diet this is not the case. As long as you severely limit your carb intake and up your fat intake, you will lose body fat. It makes absolutely no difference how many calories you intake while doing this. I was able to drastically lose body fat on this program while I put on muscle mass no matter how much fat and protein I ate.

Other things I learned while on this program was to drink as much water as I could, supplement my diet with a tablespoon of flax seed or fish oil every day and take a quality multivitamin. I also used psyllium husks to boost my fiber intake and assist with regularity.

Hope this helps!

I am currently back on the program after getting married and eating badly for the last 6 years. My wife and I decided to follow the same program I did 12 years ago and make a commitment to better health in 2017.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 11:29

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum. I am glad Atkins works for you. I also try to follow 20 carbs a day but at 70 years old I not sure how hard to work the muscles at my age.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 10:00

Stats: 250/244/160 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by annuvin
I started working out on a steady cardio program with moderate weight training. The first time I attempted 20 minuted on the stair machine, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. However, I kept at it and every day it got easier. I would try to keep at the cardio 5 or 6 days a week and moderate weightlifting every second day. I used a stair machine and elliptical for cardio, and basic weight machines for lifting. I also did sit-ups every day before my cardio routine.

Thanks, annuvin, for this information! I'm trying to decide on what to start with for exercising. I need to start simple!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 02:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/218/150 Male 6.0
BF:72%
Progress: 9%

good stuff so many conflicting stories I'm at GYM 6 days a week lifting weights 15g carbs 240-280 protein losing weight and gaining muscle