Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 10:51

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I have a hunch the guys that are in clubs are normally younger, 20's or so. They would see any middle aged woman and tell them to cover up. To them were old. What they have to learn!

We go to the local bars, the Legion, and the such. Everyone knows everyone, the average age is 35 +. There are always a few younger folks, usually I don't get more than a passing glance from them, I'm old you know . I was really surprised the other night by a younger lady. She was heavy, in a floppy tank top that showed most of her bra straps, back strap too. I noticed her and her girlfriend when they walked in. I saw her give my BF a once over then me. She was obvious about it too, then she gave me a snasty look! I was shocked, what did I do to her? I will admit, before they walked in I was the only gal in the bar. I know I looked good, and my confadence was high (makes all the difference). I was probably percieved as "intruder" in their way of hunting men. BF is mine, I have no issues with other wemon around, even scantaly clad (hate it when they shove their boobs in his face though). They need to gain some confadence, figure out bra straps are not sexy and grow up.

I know the younger folk think its awful when middle aged women show a little skin. In a few years, many will realize there no real difference.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 10:51

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
I have a hunch the guys that are in clubs are normally younger, 20's or so. They would see any middle aged woman and tell them to cover up. To them were old. What they have to learn!

Well, no. Being near a convention center my most common patron is the 40-60ish businessman traveling. (unless we have certain promoters/shows on busy nights) All I know is that I would never present myself in a way that would result in being labeled a "Tuesday night f-"
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 14:05

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Well, no. Being near a convention center my most common patron is the 40-60ish businessman traveling. (unless we have certain promoters/shows on busy nights) All I know is that I would never present myself in a way that would result in being labeled a "Tuesday night f-"

Different clubs attract different patrons.

Sexym2, to my mind, that strapless dress is nice and you look good. But you're not taking full advantage of your assets. With a good, supportive, underwire or push-up bra, you'd be even more of a knockout IMO. It's true, today's fashions show off bra straps. I used to be resistant to this, but it's the vogue right now. It would look fashionable, particularly with a nice black bra with satiny straps, either a halter bra or a regular bra, it would look intentional rather than a mistake.

If you really don't want to show the bra straps so blatantly, you could add a sheer blouse to really make it classy.

Something like this:

My attitude is, if you've got it, flaunt it! Trust me, 20 years from now you will look back at these photos and think, "damn, I was hot!"

But to stay out of the "hoochie mama" category, I would emphasize just one attribute per outfit: show off your cleavage, OR your legs, not both at the same time.

If your son's friends think you're a MILF, that's really a compliment in my book.

But although in some circles it's a compliment (it is, it really is!) it's not okay for your son to call you a slut.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-12, 07:03

BF:

I asked BF how he thinks of women in the barns, before and after me. He told me he would stare all night at the "Tuesday night F***." He was never rude but he didn't want anything to do with them. He said they looked slutty, and were vying for attention. He says theres a difference between sexy-hot and slutty. I asked if I dressed slutty, he said, "no, I wouldn't let you out of the house looking slutty." He then told me that, "you looked sexy-hot when we go out. You have enough confadence that you walk in the door, you don't vye for the attention, you don't have to work for it." He told me thats sexy.

Imonmyway~ I tried a stapless bra with this dress, but it showed the top of the cups on the bra. It was lacy, but I'm unconfortable with showing the bra. I agree, either leg or cleavage, not both, thats why I bought those tights. A little bit of a cover up. I had issues when I bought that dress if it showed to much, thats why I asked for opinions. Everyone has different idea, I personally don't mind showing some skin.

I'm 35, and with a little underwire, I still have it. I'm happy that I look as good as I do (my mother still looks good through 2 back surguries and weight ups and down, just some grays thats barely noticable) I'm not afraid to show the world, I'm confadent enough to pull it off. But, I do agree there is a time and a place for everything. I'm going to try out different types of strapless bras and see what works with that dress. I don't really have much of the revealing type clothes. I have a handful of tops that I safety pin the top together, just enough it doesn't show the bow on my bra.

I think guys are so used to so many women being easy, espesially in the bar scene, they think most of us are "Tue night f***." I went out, without BF last fall, I wore jeans and a tank with a light long sleaved shirt over it. I got hot, probably the alcohol, and I took off the long sleaved shirt. My friends were their with me, the place was fairly busy for the Legion. I got noticed but for a long time I was left alone. I stepped outside for some air and a guy (not a local) aproached me. We visited, I made it clear I was taken. He kept pushing to dance, I told him it was inapropriate for me to dance with him, I was taken. He just didn't take a polite "no" for an answer. A vollenteer firefighter buddy of my BFs sat next to me then, to "protect me." LOL,

The only person that thought I was a screw for the night was that out of towner. I personally think he would have taken anyone back to his camper. Finally, BF got done coon hunting and showed up. The guy sat there and watched me dance with BF and go home with him. No other guy in the bar gave me more than glances, they were polite, and being locals new me well enough. I had mens attention, but there was nothing slutty going on. I don't think I looked slutty, I looked good. Just because a woman looks good does not mean men need to act like asses, they need to grow up themselves and stop aiming for a one night stand. But, when women give it up so easy why wouldn't they?

When I was younger, in my 20's, I got attention. Once I turned down a few guys, I was usually left alone. I don't care If I wore a T shirt and blue jeans, or a short top and a skirt, I had a lot of offers. Why can't a gal go out without getting tackled, groped and treated like she's a slut? I've never dated a guy I met in a bar, never gave out my number, and defanitely no one night stands. I've seen so many guys act badly, its amazing women allow it.

The way they act has nothing to do with my clothing, if more women slapped hands and ment it, they woun't be such jerks.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-12, 13:38

Plan: No grains, no sweeteners
Stats: 240/200/- Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

I think I am going to change my belief about the modesty is a virtue thing. I have recently been reading things about women being sexually harassed and how in some communities women are afraid to walk around due to fear of sexual harassment and this just makes me really against the whole idea that women should feel like they have to dress a certain way whether it be a modest way or whatever. Women should feel free to dress how they want without fear of being sexually harassed or viewed a certain way. I used to think modesty was a virtue until I read about issues women face where some of them are afraid to walk around due to worry about sexual harassment and so now I am against the idea modesty is a virtue.

Women should not feel afraid to walk around due to fear of sexual harassment.

Below is the earlier quote I made that I disagree with now. I am not saying that now I am against modesty but I am saying that people should not feel like they have to be modest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbaba
Ultimately it is a womans right to wear what she wants however modesty is a virtue. It's not only a virtue for women, it is also a virtue for men. Men do tend to be modest by default however there are some homosexual men who do dress immodestly. But anyways the point of a woman dressing modestly is so that she can highlight her intellectual qualities and so that she can be appreciated for her personality instead of being appreciated primarily for her body.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with a woman being appreciated for her body however in our society women get treated as sex obects. And that is partly mens fault however a portion of the blame also needs to be placed on the way women are dressing. Women treat themselves as though their bodies are their primary feature instead of emphasizing their personality or intellectual traits. The purpose of modesty is to emphasize personality and intellectual traits.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-12, 15:34

BF:

As I get slimmer, I tend to see things differently. When I was heavier I thoughti modesty was the way to go, now, 50lbs lighter, I don't see it that way any more. No, I don't want my chest hanging out everywhere. I bought a top recently that you don't wear a bra with it and it shows cleavage. I brought it home and showed my daughter, I was so proud of her. She told me it showed to much boob, So, I got my sewing machine out and pulled it all up. Now it shows a little cleavage and is suitable for public (in my opinion and hers).

I think woman get sexually harrased no matter how she is dressed. I firmly believe even if I walked down the street in a 2 piece swim suit, I should not get sexually harrased.

You can show cleavage, and leg, and still be the sexiest, smartest woman around. If men treat you like trash, you throw them to the curb till the right one comes along that doesn't treat you that way. The only reason meat sexually harrass women, is because THEY ARE ALLOWED TO AND GET AWAY WITH IT.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-12, 21:40

Plan: No grains, no sweeteners
Stats: 240/200/- Male 6'1
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
I firmly believe even if I walked down the street in a 2 piece swim suit, I should not get sexually harrased.

I agree with this. Women(and of course men) should be able to walk around anywhere wearing whatever they want without fear of sexual harassment.

I never really thought much about this issue until I read something about how in certain areas of the world the sexual harassment was so bad that women couldnt walk around the communities they lived by themselves. If a whole group of people in certain areas of the world feel like they can't go off walking in their neighborhoods on their own that is a serious rights violation.

I experienced something similar to this as a teenager in the town I grew up because there are literally tons of cops in that town and zero crime and some of the cops are so bored all they do is harass kids all day. And so I couldnt go for walks without getting harassed and possibly searched by cops.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-12, 06:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbaba
I agree with this. Women(and of course men) should be able to walk around anywhere wearing whatever they want without fear of sexual harassment.

I never really thought much about this issue until I read something about how in certain areas of the world the sexual harassment was so bad that women couldnt walk around the communities they lived by themselves. If a whole group of people in certain areas of the world feel like they can't go off walking in their neighborhoods on their own that is a serious rights violation.

I experienced something similar to this as a teenager in the town I grew up because there are literally tons of cops in that town and zero crime and some of the cops are so bored all they do is harass kids all day. And so I couldnt go for walks without getting harassed and possibly searched by cops.

Thats awful! I grew up in a small town, and we didn't have much crime, there were always 2 cops on duty and I do not remember getting harassed by anyone. On occasion a whistle or something like that, nothing that was rude, crude or nasty.

Of course my mother was a Deputy Sheriff for the County, everyone new my family but I like to think they would treat everyone as well as we were treated. I never heard of anything bad going on any way.

BTW, I would never walk down the street in my 2 piece We did go swimming last Sunday and I wore my 1 pc, grant you, I still have 25lbs of extra hanging on my hips and belly. For the first time ever, I wasn't insecure about being in my bathing suit! The gal across the street runs around all the time in her 2 pc, I don't think nothing of it, she's not afraid to show it off. I wouldn't want to be some idiot to harass her either, her husband can be a little scarey at times

That same husband showed up one day while I was mowing in the rain. Apparently I had put on a white bra with black spots on, under a white tank top. It started raining while I was mowing, I hadn't thought of it. I did notice that traffic had picked up though, the same vehicles driving past several times. Hmm . . . anyway, my neighbor after driving by 3 times himself came over and politely told me that I need to change my top due to the rain. I looked down and OMG! I was showing SPOTS! He told me he had gone up town to visit with the guys for lunch and they were all talking about my wet tank and my bra showing. He didn't like what they were saying and came to tell me.

Ok, I'm sure he came over also to get a better look, but there was no harassment. No cat calls, hoots and hollers, just men talking amongst themselves not meaning a dam thing. Thats the way it should be, if he had walked over and harassed me, oacrossd from accross the street that would be another story.

I don't think woman should really expose all, but I also believe if they do expose all, they may get galked at but not harassed.

I heard a guy was riding a horse naked the other day at the local rodea, and I missed it!