Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 06:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

I live in Blackburn, so not near Seaford or Frankston!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 14:21

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%
Progress: 87%

Morning all

Well my good news today is that..... The kindy chocolate is finished!!!! so now i can get back to normal and not stress about what is in the cupboard or fridge.

Its great to see some more talking going on in here.

Dave to answer your question, I had posted several questions trying to find out what i should be eating low carb wise while i am breastfeeding and i just found the answers very frustrating, they were telling me things that i had already said myself in my question, it sounds petty ino but i was in dire need of some help back then and it just put me off. I find sometimes that when people are trying to be helpful they can come across as being arrogant. For example ino that water is imperrative to this wol, but to tell a breast feeding mother how much water they should be drinking and to make sure that i drink it, well thats a bit silly to me and insulting also. If i dont drink water how am i to produce to milk for my baby. There is nothing like stating the obvious sometimes hey!!

anyway i must go and feed the kids now. Hope u all have a wonderful day

tara
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 17:26

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

tara, my apologies for seeming arrogant in giving you advice on empower. it's actually very interesting that you would think so, considering you seemed to have misinterperated what was actually posted to you. i certainly didn't tell you how much water to drink - i simply stated that 2 litres is generally recommended for normal low carbers and i don't know what is recommended for breastfeeding women so what you are drinking should be more than enough. i also stated that there is no real benchmark for breastfeeding women who low carb and that if you were losing at 80-100gs a day then to stick with it if you were happy. the 2 crucial points i added because i'd read another post by you and you hadn't read Atkins and didn't seem to know exactly what the diet was about or how to proceed (and also for other people who might be in a similar situation to yourself). we do tend to 'state the obvious' when trying to help a new person who has been attempting to follow a diet that they haven't researched or read up on.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 17:43

Sam, I did know what the diet was. I was looking for fellow breast feeding mothers who were low carbing and asking what they did that worked for them. I wanted to know what worked for other people so that i could get more of an idea of what to do for myself as Atkins told me to do the maintenance phase due to the breastfeeding. I had looked into it a fair bit before commencing to ensure that it was suitable for me but the information for breastfeeding mothers was limited, hence my posts.

Furthermore it was not your replies that left me feeling frustrated it was a combination of other posts, reading back your comments were very helpful.

But welcome to the thread I started so that us Aussies can support each other through our weight loss journey.

Last edited by _tigger_ : Wed, Oct-05-05 at 17:49. Reason: typo
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 17:59

I have just re-read all of the posts and i think that i was perhaps being too sensitive at the time, as upon reflection all the replies to my questions were informative and helpful to anyone in my position. I'd say the frustration stemed from a lack of information available to a person in my particular situation. I did post in the relevant section on this site also but its a bit of a ghost town there also.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 18:09

BF:

look, there are no hard feelings, i just want you to understand that no one would have had a go at you or been insulting on purpose, i think your interpretation of what was posted could be because you didn't really make your low carb history clear. we tend to tread on the side of caution when posting for new people, they can take things very literally. most never had read anything about the diet they are following. i think most long term posters feel a responsibility to be as careful and obvious as possible because there will always be someone else reading that post.

i've been a member of this forum for some time but it was very quiet for ages and i am following Paleo now, so i dhavne't been in here for some time. thanks for the welcome. i'll try to post more often
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 19:34
Registered Member

Stats: 160/148/115 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 27%

Anyone else concerned about being able to continue exercising now the weather is warming up so much?
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 19:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawninAus
Anyone else concerned about being able to continue exercising now the weather is warming up so much?

Now come on Dawn :P

I'm in Melbourne - that's the best time to exercise!
Being an Ex-Cairns person I do find it kinda wierd!

Which part of Aussie Land are you from again ? For some reason your name reminds me of Darwin.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 20:06

Dave, excercise is but a distant memory for me now, I have 3 kids 3yrs old and younger and my husband leaves for work at 4am gets home at 6pm. Would take them all out during the day but it is 39 degrees atm, and my 3yr old wouldnt want to walk that far and would wind up wanting me to carry her. When i get the air con installed i will get that exercise ball out of my cupboard and do workouts that way.

Just think, it isnt even summer yet, we are going to severely cook here this summer.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 21:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tigger_
Dave, excercise is but a distant memory for me now, I have 3 kids 3yrs old and younger and my husband leaves for work at 4am gets home at 6pm. Would take them all out during the day but it is 39 degrees atm, and my 3yr old wouldnt want to walk that far and would wind up wanting me to carry her. When i get the air con installed i will get that exercise ball out of my cupboard and do workouts that way.

Just think, it isnt even summer yet, we are going to severely cook here this summer.

That's it! Moving to Bris-Vegas!

You don't know how serious I am :P

Last edited by LC_Dave : Wed, Oct-05-05 at 21:52. Reason: fix spelling
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 22:41

Plan: natural way
Stats: 270/255/170 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I'm from a little place about an hour west of brisbane city but work in brisbane. It is rather warm today. I've been low carbing for about 6mths this time and lost not much. Have been diagnosed with insulin resistance and am now on metformin to balance sugar/insulin and hopefully shake things up a bit. I plan on exercising but there's always something else need doing so a long walk a couple of times a week seems to be it at present. I've been lurking on sites for a while and learnt heaps which helped me ask for the testing I wanted done and got
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 23:26

BF:

Welcome Relle!

What sorts of things are you eating on your new way of eating ?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 23:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tigger_
I have just re-read all of the posts and i think that i was perhaps being too sensitive at the time, as upon reflection all the replies to my questions were informative and helpful to anyone in my position. I'd say the frustration stemed from a lack of information available to a person in my particular situation. I did post in the relevant section on this site also but its a bit of a ghost town there also.

oops you posted this while i was posting my last one!! well glad that we have worked through those differences. it's funny how as you journey through changing the way you eat, you also journey through changing yourself in many ways.

relle people with your condition do find it harder to lose. i would suggest doing some weight resistance as well as some interval training (interval training is walk 50 metres, run 50 metres starting off at 5 mins and building up for longer periods). even doing that 3 times a week should help build some muscle and burn fat. all the advantages you can get hey!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 23:57

BF:
Progress:

I'm basically following protein power breakfast usually scrambled eggs with bacon and tomato through it lunch coleslaw ( buy dry and put my own dressing in) meat cheese tomato tea is meat and veg. appetite is all over place while metformin kicking in some days not hungry others need a snack which is usually nuts. I've found yoghurt, fruit and nut snack, savoury biscuits in serving sizes of 10-15 g of carbo if I need something other than protein Sam exercise is a struggle, arthritis in knees sometimes painful energy has been minimal but getting better. I have a exerciser which you pull up to standing with own weight and theirs heaps of hills here now the days are longer it's easier to get out ( I check the net out at work, not back in now till tues have a great weekend everyone)
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 00:04

BF:
Progress:

I have no problem eating low carb ( went gluten free a few years back and with walking lost about 30kg) have great support from current partner, but no energy left at end of day and limited time in morning, so need hints on boosting energy, I take magnesium and 5htp (also have fibromyalgia) also potassium and chromium (only been on those a few weeks) suggestion s on supplements without taking a dozen different tablets?